• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rebuilding our Amazon

Turbosteen

I was born at a young age
So, as the title suggests, this is a shared project.

Since we (my brother JW240 and I) have our cars up and running good enough we decided to take a look in the shed if there's something else to start with. Behold, an Amazon (121) from 1970.

P5262562.jpg

The story starts in the summer of 2007. We bought the car on Ebay Germany and picked it up.

Some pictures from when we got it:
B20A engine
P5262571.jpg

P5262567.jpg

Nice seats btw
P5262573.jpg

Extra stuff we got with the car like doors etc.
P5262575.jpg

After some rallying around the house with it we started to realize that it wouldn't be a simple job to restore this car. We decided to ditch the body and keep all the mechanical bits when we found a body that had been restored a few years back but had been involved in a crash.
This was again an Ebay auction where we acquired it and hauled it back home.

P7142611.jpg

We fitted the axles and gave it to a local guy who has good skills to fix it up (engine had rammed the firewall, front beam under radiator needed replacing etc.) With some bodypanels of the old green Amazon we then had a good starting point to work with.

That's where the project grinded to a halt. So we now have a rust free, very good, multi-colored Amazon body. And tons of mechanical bits as well off course.

In the last months I decided we just needed to start somewhere, and since tearing stuff apart doesn't cost money I opted for the engine... and then you discover it's going to cost even more money:-P

On the stand
PA104441.jpg

A few surprises on the way:
- 8 bolt crank (so engine must have been replaced)
- modern type seal was already in
- 1st oversize pistons
- Remarkable new looking valve guides

Now for the bad surprise.. damaged cylinder walls.
PB074483.jpg

This is on all 4 cylinders I think. At least on three of them, and it's pretty deep.

So we now move onto the build plans for this car, I can say this: it won't be finished next year:-P

So far we've opted for the ''how Volvo should have build it'' option. Meaning we are going towards old skool performance.

Engine wise this gives something like:
- Keep the B20
- Carbs
- Porting the head
- Header
- Make use of the 8 bolt crank > 2.2L B20 already acquired a set of new B21 flat tops (92.48mm)
etc.

Chassis/transmission:
- Keep the M40, or maybe opt for a M46/M47
- Keep stock back axle unless we can do a 240 axle conversion (5x108)
- Weld the body in critical places for strengthening
- Lower it, all the normal bits like Bilstein etc.
- 164 vented brakes up front, or something else that is an easy improvement over the current setup
etc.

Body:
- We don't know what color it's gonna be
- Big and wide steelies

So we'll be looking closely to the Pushrod performance thread for tips and tricks and to the picture threads. It's all in the beginning stages now. If you have an awesome idea for this car, don't hesitate to post it!

Last edited:
I'm not entirely convinced You need 164 front brakes, the car is so light it ought to be enough to have the standard brakes in good order. You've got the dual circuit brakes. Stuff in an 1800E or ES rear axle maybe. It's a straight bolt in in assuming the replacement shell has late rear suspension.

Why M46 for the recipe you're writing an M41 will do the job I'd have thought?

I'm not entirely convinced You need 164 front brakes, the car is so light it ought to be enough to have the standard brakes in good order. You've got the dual circuit brakes. Stuff in an 1800E or ES rear axle maybe. It's a straight bolt in in assuming the replacement shell has late rear suspension.

Why M46 for the recipe you're writing an M41 will do the job I'd have thought?

You're right about the brakes, it is indeed a light car but I was thinking that if we're at it (replacing all the major components in the brake system) we might as well go for the 164 parts. (And at the same time converting the hubs to 5x108).

P1800 axle would be ideal, but I'm not sure if we're able to source that (at reasonable costs), this doesn't need to be a cheap build but keeping costs down is always a +. It is good though that we're getting suggestions already in this build, I'll make a list for the options we need to consider (so looking for parts and their prices is something I have started to do already).

About the gearbox; the main goal is to have a fifth gear. I thought M41's were ?ber rare and $$$? Good option to look out for, since it's easier to fit.
We also don't know how muck work it would be to adap the body to fit another gearbox (M46/M47). Anyone with some links for examples on that one?

You're right about the brakes, it is indeed a light car but I was thinking that if we're at it (replacing all the major components in the brake system) we might as well go for the 164 parts. (And at the same time converting the hubs to 5x108).

P1800 axle would be ideal, but I'm not sure if we're able to source that (at reasonable costs), this doesn't need to be a cheap build but keeping costs down is always a +. It is good though that we're getting suggestions already in this build, I'll make a list for the options we need to consider (so looking for parts and their prices is something I have started to do already).

About the gearbox; the main goal is to have a fifth gear. I thought M41's were ?ber rare and $$$? Good option to look out for, since it's easier to fit.
We also don't know how muck work it would be to adap the body to fit another gearbox (M46/M47). Anyone with some links for examples on that one?

To fit the M46 you need a bellhousing that has been split in half and re welded. Front half M40 rear half M46 or M47. Huke Basart does do them http://www.hukebasart.nl/huke/

If you want I'll keep an eye out for a back axle and gearbox, or buy a whole scrap ES. As a friend of mine once remarked, "I love 1800s, every one contains an overdrive gearbox for a 120".

I thought all the 1970 122s came with the 1800 disk rear end? I thought they all came with overdrives as well...

Nope, the 1970 cars had dual circuit brakes with rear drums. Overdrive always was an option. Supposedly Volvo did build rear disk brake Amazons but I've not personally ever seen one. It is in the late parts manuals and there was a road test of one in Australia.

Generally they were stripped down to price them below a 140, no bonnet stripe, no overriders, no door pockets, matt black handbrake lever (not chromed).

What they did get was the dual circuit brakes (essentially lifted out of an 1800 ES) and a steering lock ignition switch. They also came with alternators.

If you want I'll keep an eye out for a back axle and gearbox

That would be very nice! :cool:
Is there a specific year to look for when searching a P1800 axle? I found one from 1972

I also found a site similar to the one Huke Basart,
http://www.tinustechniek.nl/0-home.html

Good thinking so far! More choices to be made then I anticipated;-)

Last edited:
Everyone always says M41's are hard to find.
It took me all of 20 mins to find one for my Amazon (granted I drove 120 miles to pick it up)

Nice thing is they're so damn tough and paired (normally) with underpowered motors so they are almost all still around, lol.

I knew this was coming around eventually.
I have the best idea for it, finish it quickly and donate it to my wife since this is the only older Volvo she likes.
Post some current pics. I think I'm gonna like this thread :cool:

So no Folkracebil? :grrr:

Your 340 will be a good alternative:-P

Everyone always says M41's are hard to find.
It took me all of 20 mins to find one for my Amazon (granted I drove 120 miles to pick it up)

I found one that's for sale now, rebuilded etc. for ?750,- ($1000,-). If that's our only option we're going for the M47 with modified bellhousing;-)

I have the best idea for it, finish it quickly and donate it to my wife since this is the only older Volvo she likes.

No:lol:

Just stripped the engine a bit more. The next surprise is a steel timing gear (B30):
P1224568.jpg

An 'A' cam, looks to be in very good condition. But it won't be used I guess..
P1224575.jpg

The lifters are a bit scratched, some more than others.

Crank etc. Oil pump looks newish too.
P1224576.jpg

Getting a spare head now so we can tinker a bit with porting etc.

Back