• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

still looking for one? I got one in "decent shape"

love Anza mufflers - I have one on my 245 and it sounds great

great progress on the car! Inspiring me to update my thread and start working on it too:oogle:

Thanks Jack! Yeah I found one in decent shape a few months ago.

Yesterday I followed this paint restoration tutorial:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/11/28/detailing-tips-for-vintage-single-stage-paint/

and went to town with the different Meguiars, cleaning wax, polish and show car glaze they recommend.

Besides having a really sore shoulder today, it came out really well. The oxidation is gone and the paint has a nice warm shine.

I took it to cars and coffee this morning. First time driving on the taller springs and with the header. Both are nice improvements and the car got a lot of interest from the "oh my old professor used to have one of those back in the day" crowd. It was an absolute blast!

Finally got around to installing a tach that I purchased a few months ago. When I bought it I thought it was a 52mm face but I was wrong. Since it's a lot larger than I would have liked I just mounted it with double sided tape under the dash.

It will be great to known for sure where the idle is set and then what the engine speeds are on the freeway! Then I can save my pennies for something more period correct or an r-sport cluster.

Thanks to the new tach I was able to confirm that the car was idling really high. It sounded like it was high but today I saw it was at 1200rpm. Since I did the initial carb tuning with the timing and points all out of wack, the carb needed to be readjusted.

I had bumped the primary idle jet up to a 65 and today I ended up dropping down to a 45. now the idle is around 800rpm! Learning is fun!

I took a little drive to celebrate:

Looking good!

Also the proper way to adjust points is to unscrew them, throw them in the trash and install electronic ignition. Thank me later.

That picture gave me a chubby!

Lookin good

Thanks to the new tach I was able to confirm that the car was idling really high. It sounded like it was high but today I saw it was at 1200rpm. Since I did the initial carb tuning with the timing and points all out of wack, the carb needed to be readjusted.

I had bumped the primary idle jet up to a 65 and today I ended up dropping down to a 45. now the idle is around 800rpm! Learning is fun!

I took a little drive to celebrate:

:lol: hahah don't let ken read that! But I agree with you!

Looking good!

Also the proper way to adjust points is to unscrew them, throw them in the trash and install electronic ignition. Thank me later.

that looks dead on man!

Thanks Keith! It's come a long way since you rode in it last.

Looking good!

I was really tempted to do just that but I decided to keep trying with the points. Now that they are properly gapped, they work well. If they go out of adjustment again soon then I might get the pertronix.

That picture gave me a chubby!

Lookin good

:lol: hahah don't let ken read that! But I agree with you!

Thanks man

Okay I'll preface this with I know a few people on here told me to avoid the IPD header with their Weber setup. The other day I was looking at the crack in my exhaust manifold and noticed it had grown a lot. The previous owner tried to weld the crack which obviously doesn't work well.

I went ahead and ordered the IPD header and started fitting it last night. Initially I bolted it in place and then tried to fit the intake manifold. It wouldn't go on no matter what I did so I tried putting the intake on first. That didn't work either so I took a step back to see what was going on.

After a little searching and feeling, I saw that the intake was running into the exhaust manifold flange on the underside of the head.

Isn't this the part: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h4851/overview/make/volvo

I know it required some "reworking" when we installing one on my Amazon. There are also issues with thichkness of the intake manifold.

I'll second that. Worth the $90.

Thanks for the information, I'll probably go that route when these points wear out. At the same time now that I have the points gapped correctly the car runs great. I guess the benefit for the pertronix is that it doesnt have to be serviced every couple thousand miles?

Isn't this the part: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h4851/overview/make/volvo

I know it required some "reworking" when we installing one on my Amazon. There are also issues with thichkness of the intake manifold.

I had heard that too but it seemed a little silly that I had an intake and headers both bought from IPD that wouldn't simply work together out of the box.

Back