• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Dude! Whoa!

BTW, you can buy different length cheapie steel velocity stacks from aftermarket aircooled VW catalog companies like CIP1 or JBugs. CB Performance sells really nice die cast aluminum ones too. But what you did is way more awesome!

Damn, I wish I'd seen CB Performance before... I needed aluminum stacks, so they could be welded in. Some of the CB ones look like they'd have worked. Oh well, at least I learned a new thing!

So, I got all my manifold parts fit up yesterday, and brought it all to Noah's to have him tack it together. The good news: it fits in the car. Clears the booster by over an inch, doesn't hit the heater valve, and with some minor adjustments, it will definitely work.

I have to trim the front face of the plenum back 20mm to give me more room for throttle body/IC pipes. I'll also slightly re-do the upper radiator hose to help in that area.

When I was "designing" it, I got too concerned about clearance on the booster side, and the plenum ended up too close to the #1 injector plug. (Injectors mounted in Kjet holders, means the plugs have to face the manifold, not the head.) To remedy this, I ordered some phenolic spacers.

Here are the STS machining Kjet plugs that I drilled out for EFI injectors:

you make it look so clean! good job. what powergoals you shooting with that m41 gearbox?

Thanks! I do like a clean engine bay, so that's been a motivating factor.

I have no delusions that the M41 will hold up for long. I have an 8 psi wastegate actuator on it now, and I'm hoping to keep it at or below 200 hp until I can get around to the transmission. I didn't want to tackle the transmission and the rest of the engine stuff all at once, and this gives me some time to decide between T5 or Getrag 265.

Once the transmission is up to par, I'll crank up the boost and hope for ~250 hp/tq.

Nice build! Done thought out and without being pretentious!

I'm also a big fan of these wheels, seems they fit better under a 122!

l946aQYh.jpg

Sweet! Taking it to ipd?

I wish. I would need a solid month of daily driving/shaking it down before I'd attempt that drive.

congrats! would love to hear some driving impressions when you have recovered lol

So far I've just been breaking in the engine by doing pulls/decel from 30-50ish. At first I had the wastegate hooked up and a jerry rigged throttle cable that made the car an on/off switch. That didn't work, so I unhooked the wastegate and have since sorted out the throttle cable to make it driveable. From what I can tell so far, it feels MUCH faster at about 1 psi than the old B18.

This car has a 4.30:1 axle, so it will break the tires loose at one psi without really trying. Quite a different car, and I haven't even gotten into the boost yet!

WHOA! Congrats! Looking forward to Canepa!

Thanks! Hopefully I can get it cleaned up a bit. I forgot how gross a car can get when it sits for 7 months and you don't pay attention to anything but the engine bay.

Good to see you finished this, and great fab skills also!

Thank you. I wouldn't call it finished quite yet, but this is a huge step. And honestly, there's no way I'd have made it this far without Noah doing the TIG stuff. I'll post some photos of the intake manifold later, he did an amazing job on that.

Congrats on getting the beast running.

Yeah, I may be driving the '92 down to iPd, since I will have even less time after doing the swap on my 242 (doing this Sunday and Monday), so it likely won't be ready for the trip down on Friday.

-J

I'm not normally one to shy away from ill advised road trips, but this would be a real roll of the dice. Currently in this car are the first transmission, turbo, and engine that I've ever rebuilt, a rear end with way too much gear lash, and a host of other issues that I had deliberately forgotten about while doing the swap.

That said, I'm pretty excited to shake it down and sort out all these issues... within a 200 mile radius.

Back