• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

162 info

churd9

dbqvjs.jpg
[/IMG]what is a 162 & can you put 164 fenders on a 240

But srsly, a 164 front end doesn't even go on a 140, much less a 240. Unless you do so much work to the sheetmetal that you could have put an F150 front end on.

There is no 162 or 165, Volvo only made the 160 as a 4 door - 164.

1) The 164 front end is longer - to make room for the 6 cylinder engine, the 164 has roughly (very roughly) 4 extra inches between the A pillar and the front wheels. You'd have to shorten the back part of the fender and hood to fit them onto a 4 cylinder Volvo

2) The way the fenders attach to the body is different - look at pics and you'll see one car has a vertical mounting surface on the inner fender, the other has a horizontal surface.

It's vaguely possible that taking the entire front structure from a 164 and putting that on a 240 body shell would be easier (and then just bolt on the fenders/hood), although that would involve more structural sheetmetal work and not jsut 'cosmetic' work.

Last edited:
The proto type for the coupe was a 164 front on a modified 242 body. I knew a Volvo tech in Long Island, NY who did his to his coupe. Looked totally stock.
110__scaled_600.jpg

1398529136_8457ced06d_z.jpg

This is more like the one the mechanic built. He painted his a deep blue color.

Proportions are off but I like it. Be better if the photo shopper (?) stretched the door not the quarter.

I think the website went down years ago, but there was a guy in the middle of nowhere country NSW who'd taken a complete 164 & 142, and unpicked all the welds where a 164 and 144 differed. Apparently from the firewall forward everything was different (may have been different frame rails, can't recall but I don't think so), but behind the firewall a 144 & 164 are essentially the same (apart from minor stuff I guess).

So he'd basically made a "real" 162. Was a really neat (and painstaking) job.
I don't think he actually finished beyond undercoating the body, though ... it's probably a pile of rust in someone else's shed.

Looks like a rendering from Iamtheonlyreal1 at a custom shop.... he had great stuff.... then screwed the world and fell off the face of the globe.... Swedish ops.

Most bad ass 162

IMG_6331.jpg

The only real Volvo 162 with the plate number BAD162E is registered in Great Britain and is not with a charged V8.
Last Time I good see the car it was with a biturbo inline six.

I will ask Al if he waste his immaculate, straight and beautiful 162.
sorry, it's Als car. Now with a big V8. and rack and pinion and and and
He drove the car on the road to a big meeting in Sweden and did win the first price, i forgot the class.

regards, Kay

Last edited:
The guy in sweden who build an awesome green 242 currently have a 245 With 164 front end. Looks really cool!

Go crazy on the body work, like this guy:
_img1280.jpg

Build thread with more pics: https://www.vrcf.fi/foorumi/index.php?topic=67310.0
Almost looks like the Jaguar/almost as pretty as the competitors they were trying to break in with in the first place...

As to the ones with the Bertone back half for the bertone weirdos/perverts with a leather fetish...
:barf:

164 guys are weirdos too. Worthless cars that are like a Jag or benz badly beaten with the ugly stick, and cheap from new to now.
The owners match.

Last edited:
Back