• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 244 DL Autocrosser

Do you guys not get fun runs at the end of your events, ever? Thats usually the best time to get other people's feedback behind your wheels.

Do you guys not get fun runs at the end of your events, ever? Thats usually the best time to get other people's feedback behind your wheels.

Our club is too big for fun runs. By the end the organizers want to start getting packed up and go home. The event organizers are there from 7am to 8pm minimum. With 230-290 cars / event and the option for fun runs.... They wouldnt leave until 3 am

Sort of. They are there for a good part of Saturday doing setup and teardown, GPS mapping the course, sweeping up broken glass during concert/football season, and so on.

On Sunday, we're seeing 150-200+ drivers. They rarely do fun runs unless we finish early/ontime and someone in charge wants to do a few more runs. I got someone to hop in my car a few years ago, but not lately.

4854764312_03504a768c_o.jpg

So whats y'alls typical schedule on race day?
Classes are grouped based on number of entries. From event to event, the groups alternate between morning and afternoon sessions (run one or the other, never both, no double entries allowed). Within the morning or afternoon session, they would rotate the classes through the three groups. Due to the size of the course and the number of entries declining from a couple years ago, they run two heats in the morning and three in the afternoon (one for Jr. karts) to ensure enough worker coverage for each heat.

Morning starts on schedule, but it can get away from the schedule as the day goes on. Lately it's been good because we've had <200 drivers per event. They used to have to cap the event at 250 drivers x 4 = 1000 runs/day at least. Now it's more like 800, so we finish around 3-4pm instead of 5-7pm. At one time there were 200+ people pre-registered for the whole season, leaving ~40 spots open for online registration, which sometimes filled in 15-20min and then a wait list formed. Gas prices and the economic downturn has taken care of that problem for us.
127190189.jpg

still pickin up the inside rear, interesting...

nice work so far though, the comparisons you make between your performance and other classes is always enlightenning

No rear bar, 250lb 8" main spring, 150lb tender spring (1.75" travel). I'm going to stiffen up the front and see what happens. I think I need more front spring rate, but I'm going to try more compression on the struts for the next event because I'm really tired of spending my weekends working on the car.

The car really is performing well now. 37th PAX is quite good for a class that's got a tough index, and for a car that's not really prepped close to the limit in a lot of areas. It's slowly coming along and I'm glad that each step has been in the right direction.

Reposting this picture because the host resized it larger, and I think it's a good look at what the car is doing. Lotta roll on 550lb springs and a decent roll center height, 25mm front bar:

100801wdcr17.jpg

Rolls like a stock Charger? :wtf: :rofl:
http://claffie.com/photos/100801/images/100801wdcr13.jpg

Eventually Bne will make some addtional spacers to go between the strut tube and roll center spacers, so I may drop the ball joint some more. Gotta see what fits inside 15" wheels, though.

Think I might step up to 700lb front springs afterall. I gave away a pair of 700s for the lemons car...who knew I'd need them???????

I can dial out understeer with more rear spring rate. With the 325lb rear springs, the car had definite oversteer. After lowering the rear and softening the springs, it's probably tending towards understeer, but it really just drove nice. Turns in well and the front grips, but the rear stays in line. On my last run I went off course and then tried to toss the rear out, but the front wouldn't grip enough on the slick sealed asphalt. I want more rotation so I'm bumping the rear springs back to 300 for the next event.

My opinion has been that the rear bar only adds weight. I can't see anything good coming from a rear bar with the rest of my setup. On a near-stock 240, rear bar is fine.

I probably need more camber on the front, but I need to take temps again. Didn't get a chance at the last event, was too busy checking my rear tire rubbage.

Back