• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need drawing files (16v piston)

LeedomtoFreedom

Might be asking for something you don't have but does anyone have any drawing files for the valve cutouts for a 16v, anything to aid in setup or give info on it. Thank yaw

My machinist really didn't like the idea of drilling within the chamber. I'm guessing that's a cut out from a 16v head. He wasn't too confident in it.

I'm just seeing if the info is out there.

Assembly a piston and rod, slap the head on, drop a transfer punch through the valve guides and mark the piston using a little tap. You’ll also need to know what the valve angle is.
This is all really simple stuff and should take about 30min to do.
At some point I had all this written down, but I cant find it at the moment.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just order new pistons with the cutouts in them than paying a machine shop to do it? This is why the Yoshi fan kit is priced as such.

So if the releifs are not deep enough to make it a non interference setup....and they are not needed to begin with why spend the time and $ to cut them?

-Wouldn't it be cheaper to just order new pistons with the cutouts in them than paying a machine shop to do it?

-So if the releifs are not deep enough to make it a non interference setup....

What pistons have the cutouts that aren't the stock b234 pistons which are n/a. Custom pistons? this already sounds costly. A new set of pistons with rings is like 200$.

Are the cutouts made by yoshifabs kit not deep enough to make it non interference? why would anyone go to the trouble of making the notches if it doesn't make it non interference. What are the reliefs even for at that point. Style?

Are the cutouts made by yoshifabs kit not deep enough to make it non interference? why would anyone go to the trouble of making the notches if it doesn't make it non interference. What are the reliefs even for at that point. Style?

Don’t get stuck in interference and non-interference motors. They’re both fine. There are a lot of interference engines out there. Life goes on, it’s not s big deal.

The notches are not there to make it non-interference. They are there to provide adequate clearance between the valves and the piston as the engine is running.
With stock cams, and stock cam timing, there probably won’t be an issue. If the cam timing is adjusted or a larger duration cam is used, the valves will most likely hit the piston. I had to make the valve pockets 1mm deeper than stock (b234 pocket depth) just to clear the cams in the 16v race motor and still have +/-8deg of cam adjustment.

Another thing to consider is the radial clearance of the valve in the valve pocket. I’m not sure if the yoshifab kit has the cutters set outside of the valve face.

I gotcha, so on stock cams / stock timing, will notching the pistons be a waste of money? Will it be beneficial at all?

I'm guessing it's a waste because that's what tlao was saying

I gotcha, so on stock cams / stock timing, will notching the pistons be a waste of money? Will it be beneficial at all?

You want a certain amount of piston to valve clearance. Stock 8v pistons and a 16v head means there?s maybe 1.5mm is clearance between the edge of the valve and the piston. That?s not a lot, most piston to valve clearance is 2-2.5mm.

Your missing the point that the notches are for running clearance, not non interference/interference clearance. The valves will likely smack the pistons immediately, without ever breaking a belt. Tloa was saying just buy pistons with the recess already.
Yeah you could cut the pockets deep enough to make the valves not only clear the pistons but also clear in the event of a timing belt break. But you will have to do the math and decide if that deep of a pocket is okay (cc volume or thickness of piston after making the valve reliefs). My guess is probably not.

Just rent the yoshifab tool and you or your machinist can knock it out much easier. Work smart not hard, sometimes that costs $$ but the $90 cost of the rental tool is still going to be cheaper than having a machinist cut the reliefs on a mill.

Wut? Tloa did not say buy notched pistons. He said they did a few 16v's with stock b234f car heads and cams and just put them on b230 motors and did not notch the pistons.

Other people have done it also, Weldy comes to mind. Where you gettin your info? Canada? Ha..

You want dirt cheap tbricks notches? Do like Culbernero says and mark the pistons then get your your die grinder and hand do em. They old artisian way, by hand..

Wut? Tloa did not say buy notched pistons.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just order new pistons with the cutouts in them

Notch / cutout

potato, potahto bingo bango bongo

I'm not trying to start anything, just curious about it all since I don't fully understand. That's all. You can understand a person trying to do something right the first time.

You can buy pistons from Yoshifab or any major piston builder with the cutouts for the valves already there, talk to an engine builder.

Personally I would just bolt on a head and rock it.

Depending on your power goals and what you plan on doing it rods are a more important upgrade than pistons are for sub 500bhp. Locally there is a 16v+T car with a b230f (9.8:1CR) that we just slapped on a 16v head and added a Holset HY35CW @18psi and it has taken that 18psi and 7000rpm with a getrag and it has been fine. Others have slapped on the 16v head with stock cams without issues. If you plan on running big lift cams or messing with the cam timing a bunch then for sure notch the pistons or buy new ones. But for stock cams with the stock gears timed straight up it is a waste of $ and time if you plan on making less than 500bhp.

Then again it is your $ and if you want to spend it go for it. the way Jesse cut his first set of pistons for his n/a 16v setup was take a stock b234f piston and put it in a jig on a mill and he pushed the cutting bit into the stock piston notch and took the measurements. Then he would swap out the piston with his piston and then just used the cutter to cut it to the depth. Takes a while but it can be done. The yoshifab tool for doing it in the engine is awesome. So is buying new pistons with the valve notches cutout.

But even better is bolting on a 16v head with stock cams and gears onto a stock b230ft and just rocking it.

Back