• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo does not spool fully

bricktop420

Ive got a 85 turbo wagon with the stock turbo and it's only spooling up half way through the yellow. do i need a rebuild... boost actuator???

Ive got a 85 turbo wagon with the stock turbo and it's only spooling up half way through the yellow. do i need a rebuild... boost actuator???

okay, while I'm laughing my ass off at this question I'll be nice and answer it, and hopefully you'll see what is funny about it.

the boost gauge maxes out at about 15psi. the car in stock condition are only set to make around 7ish psi. Therefore, your car is doing exactly what it should be doing.

I'm also going to give you a little nomenclature lesson.

a turbo makes boost once it is spooled. The boost gauge is called a boost gauge, not a spool gauge, and therefore you are only boosting half way thru the yellow;-)

also also, it's not a boost actuator, it's a wastegate actuator. the wastegate actuator regulates the degree to which and when the wastegate opens.

lol, also also also while it is nice to know that you drive a wagon, it has nothing to do with the "problem" you've asked us about;-) Post some pics of it when you have a chance in show room and introduce your self in OT or in the "website and board" sub forum:)

Yes Lucky you make TB a better place this way! It just pissed me off when it happens cause i could have asked something like that where not all car geeks:-P
this is true...... But there are enough people here who are not *e-thugs* who can answer the question with the proper nomenclature.

to the op:
your car is fine. No need to fix anything there
Posted via Mobile Device

this is true...... But there are enough people here who are not *e-thugs* who can answer the question with the proper nomenclature.

to the op:
your car is fine. No need to fix anything there
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes thank god!

Looks like he had a good start to researching by coming here. Until the immature fvcktards made fun of him for asking a question.

What the hell is this anyway, VW Vortex? :roll:

Looks like he had a good start to researching by coming here. Until the immature fvcktards made fun of him for asking a question.

What the hell is this anyway, VW Vortex? :roll:

don't act like this is the only site immune to trolling - this is the fkin internet for christ's sake! EVERYONE's an asshole.

don't act like this is the only site immune to trolling - this is the fkin internet for christ's sake! EVERYONE's an asshole.
There are a ton of rad people here. Your quote above proves that you are one of the many people who use the internet as an excuse to be an asshole. It is nice that you took time out of your day to school someone who wasn't born knowing everything like you.

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

I usually never chime in but thats about how hard I laugh when the guys here are raking you over the coals for being the all american benchrace champion. :rofl:

There are a ton of rad people here. Your quote above proves that you are one of the many people who use the internet as an excuse to be an asshole. It is nice that you took time out of your day to school someone who wasn't born knowing everything like you.

I usually never chime in but thats about how hard I laugh when the guys here are raking you over the coals for being the all american benchrace champion. :rofl:

Can we get an Amen? Must be retardation problem on the part of the first couple of members that responded. You all obviously understood his question. All you had to do was answer it. That's what the "Mechanical" sections of the forum are for. Maybe, you (340GL, Tamnakz, Shawdowed) can query the member list and get a "Dick head" forum started just for you to post in.

Last edited:
Can we get an Amen? Must be retardation problem on the part of the first couple of members that responded. You all obviously understood his question. All you had to do was answer it. That's what the "Mechanical" sections of the forum are for. Maybe, you can query the member list and get a "Dick head" forum started just for you to post in.

My main point is that I am pretty sure those comments wouldn't be made in person. Even the biggest dickhead wouldn't just "lol" in someones face over a question like that. I like to believe that volvo tuners are the chillest of people when it comes to sharing info and not being pricks. I'd expect it from Vette guys or maybe Porsche guys but here.. :uh:

I'll take this question a little further...
Regarding my 1990 745 turbo - yeah it's a wagon too:nod:

I installed a 20psi "boost guage" to provide me an actual number...

the mitsu is pushin 4 - 4.5 max...
aside from obvious piping leaks (none found)
what may cause this output to be so low?...

is the "wastegate actuator" opening to soon?
or is the turbo getting worn out?...(yes, it has small amount of "shaft play") :oogle:

I have a fresh Garret and all the needed parts to swap in, but I would rather keep the mitsu going a little longer...
...at least long enough to install a A/F meter and MBC (ordered parts the other day), turn up the boost, and have some fun with the poor old mitsu:)

I'll take this question a little further...
Regarding my 1990 745 turbo - yeah it's a wagon too:nod:

I installed a 20psi "boost guage" to provide me an actual number...

the mitsu is pushin 4 - 4.5 max...
aside from obvious piping leaks (none found)
what may cause this output to be so low?...

is the "wastegate actuator" opening to soon?
or is the turbo getting worn out?...(yes, it has small amount of "shaft play") :oogle:

I have a fresh Garret and all the needed parts to swap in, but I would rather keep the mitsu going a little longer...
...at least long enough to install a A/F meter and MBC (ordered parts the other day), turn up the boost, and have some fun with the poor old mitsu:)

pre-tension on the actuator rod sounds low.

Back