• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Timing Belt taking a walk

Henry10

Banned
I did the timing belt job about 4 weeks (2000 miles) ago. No problems then. Timing Belt: Continental, Water Pump: Aisin, Idler Unit: GMB, Tensioner (incl. Roller): GMB, and Damper (Aisin). All from FCP, except Water Pump.

About 10 days ago noticed that timing belt "walks" back-and-forth about 1/8" on the tensioner pulley. I re-did the job last weekend, re-installed everything with the torque wrench, now belt walks less, but still does, maybe 1/16". They only thing I could not put a torque wrench is the Damper (hydraulic), some people call it Tensioner, Volvo calls it Damper. Volvo calls "Tensioner" the one that has the roller on.

There is still a faint chirp, which correlates with the rhythm of the "walk".

1- The only thing I did not tighten or re-tighten is the tensioner pulley -- Tensioner came as a unit (GMB). I did tighten (according to specs) the tensioner only bolt (T-45) which bolts it to the block, and which swivels.

2- The Timing Belt cover, on top, by the 2 cam pulleys, is too close to the belt, but barely misses it. I was able to slide a sheet paper in between belt and cover, but yet a little too close IMO. It was like that before.

Anybody has any ideas? All old parts are thrown away.

Check for everything to be tight enough. Timing belts walk when gears aren't seated well or when the tensioner isn't tight enough.

I had this happen too. End result was a bad belt. Mine walked only in one spot tho. Watch your belt for the walk pattern.....the spin it around and see if it walks the other way or not. If it does then its the belt.....if not then you have something all twacked out.
Then maybe try your old belt and see.

I had this happen too. End result was a bad belt. Mine walked only in one spot tho. Watch your belt for the walk pattern.....the spin it around and see if it walks the other way or not. If it does then its the belt.....if not then you have something all twacked out.
Then maybe try your old belt and see.

Since I had no issues for the first 2-3 weeks, including a 1500 miles trip, I threw everything away. Good advice, I will try to check the belt (Continental).

i would also take vidieo of it....so if there is a warranty issue on the belt, the supplier can see in person. I did this same thing, and my Kevlar belt was replaced no questions.

walking timing belt

Since I had no issues for the first 2-3 weeks, including a 1500 miles trip, I threw everything away. Good advice, I will try to check the belt (Continental).

Hi Henry,
how did you resolve the issue of walking timing belt?
Thanks

Ok, Here is the link to the video on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds9b5X2Ik1Y
Local Atlanta shop installed new timing belt (Gates) with water pump (Gates) and new tensioner, pulleys from ASIN (TKV-004) kit. The belt walks - it's a small axial movement about 1mm. You can see the belt hanging out over the edge of the tensioner pulley - about 1 mm. Car runs fine, no issues. Old Volvo belt was centered, it looks actually better than the new one from Gates. It was 10 years old and about 60 000 miles. I wonder if this lateral movement is acceptable? Is there some tolerance for the lateral movement? Anyone looked at their belt while the car is idling? Thanks for your comments!
For impatient people:
Pictures of timing belt 0:00 to 1:30 minute
From 1:30 minute: Video showing the tension of the timing belt and later on: video of the belt while the car is running. Please slow down the video; you might be able to see the axial movement better.

Typical timing belt system design dictates one pulley to be flanged (which retains the belt from walking) while the second (or third ) pulley is naked; unflanged.

When in motion the belt will center on the flanged pulley and then float to a happy position on the other pulley(s). If all pulleys were flanged and out of plane OR parallel with one another, the belt will self destruct. I believe the crank pulley is flanged on my redblock; the aftermarket B230 cam pulleys are naked for this reason.

Back