• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Blown turbo oil seal symptoms

lummert

My 88 765 Turbo with TD04-13C-6 and 1990 760 manifold has been smoking from the exhaust. I just repaired oil cooler seal leaks and still have smoke billowing behind my car while driving at highway speeds. Yesterday I noticed oil on the outside of tip of the tail pipe. Checked the inside of the pipe and found black oily residue. I've recently tried draining the intercooler and found no oil. I had previously flushed the intercooler. I tried draining the oil catch can and got no more than a tablespoon of watery oil.

My thinking is that the turbo oil seal has blown on the exhaust side dumping oil into the exhaust.

Figured out the cause of the oil smoke. Oil catch can filter material causing too much flow restriction. The filter material was 2 layers of blue 1/2 inch thick AC filter material. Took catch can apart, removed filter material, no more oil smoke. Catch can still has two baffles. Confirmed this by driving with the hose from OE oil separator box to catch can disconnected.

Back