• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cerebral's Daily 944

Justin

Banned
20121229120143522.jpg

Well, here it is guys! Some of you have seen my handy work. I'm pretty good at butchering up a nice Volvo. When I'm not working 50-60 hrs a week I'm normally in the garage plucking away at this thing. Shouldn't be to bad of a hack job.

20130131212123618.jpg

I've gone and bought me 1991 940 turbo sedan with 110,000 miles! It was originally owned by General William Westmoreland before it spent some time in New York & then coming up to Maine with a lovely little miss who sold it to me.

This car is pretty CLEAN for a Volvo in these parts. With no rust on the underside - there's no holes in the floor boards either! Yay! It does have some scrapes and scratches and dents, some missing interior pieces and typical worn leather parts.

My goals for this build are to get a solid <strike><span style="text-decoration: line-through;">250WHP & 270TQ</span></strike> <strike><span style="text-decoration: line-through;">**340HP 290TQ**</span></strike> ****250WHP & 275TQ**** that is conservative & reliable.

Currently still in the research & development phase while I get my stage 0 finished up. Its always a frugal build with me. I don't have mounds of loot to spend on pricey parts so I'm hoping to rock the stock engine internals & use parts I have accumulated.

Here's a brief description of what I've got planned so far. Bold Items Are Still Needed

EDIT// I THOUGHT I COULD BE FRUGAL. :lol:

-=Volvo=-
1991 940 110k $500

-=HEADWORK=-
531 Head - $150 on Ebay
RSI Valves (38/46) $141.42
FCP Headset & Head Bolts $94.42
Machine Work @ Butler McMaster $400.00
FCP Gates Performance Timing Belt Kit $130.00
Sand Blast Valve Cover & Paint $50.00

-----------
Total
$960.00
-----------
** Note - Still Need to Spend $250 -/+ on aftermarket cam. Make an intake & header. putting headwork around $1600+

-=REAR END=-
4.10 Rear End $100
Paint $40
Rotors / Pads / Shoes $80

-----------
Total
$220
-----------

-=GAUGES & TUNING=-
Gauges From Aplitz $155.00 *THANK GOD SAVED SOME MONEY HERE!!*
Trippler Piller By Lotek $55.75
AEM UEGO From Revolve40 $125.00

-----------
Total
$335.75
-----------

-=SUSPENSION=-
IPD 25mm Sway Bars $100
Lowering Springs $131.11
Rear Shocks $30

------------
Total
$260.11
------------

-=MISCELLANEOUS=-
IPD Tune-up Kit & Misc $220.00
Oil & Fluids $60
Misc Interior $90
Misc Exterior $100

-----------
Total
$470
-----------

NPR 27Row Intercooler ($75 Local Dealer)
Injector Clinic 650cc DSM Low Impedance Ball & Seat Injectors ($FREE IN TRADE$)
Weapon R Fuel Pressure Regulator ($FREE IN TRADE$)
Manual Boost Controller

Custom Mandrel Bent 3" Straight through Turbo Back Exhaust ($300)

UNDECIDED NEED TO RESEARCH

-Turbo: I'm looking into a 16t or a 19t because they're really all I can think of that I will find for reasonably cheap around these parts. I'm hoping not to spend more than $200-$300 on a used turbo.

-Chips/Fuel Management: I've heard alot about memberchips here but I have no idea what to go with for my power goals. I still need to look into this matter. Edit: - Been thinking about mega squirt.. boooo haha

940shop.jpg

Disclaimer: This is infact my first real attempt at modifying a car. I have no previous history of actually going into the motor to make horsepower improvements. I feel confident that I will be able to get near my power goals with the resources here and around the internet, junkyard networking, and some cold brews. I'm sure I'll fudge and ask some moronic questions as I brain fart my way through this whole ordeal.

Wish me luck. Should be a fun daily!

Ben Berusch said:
I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can.

Helpful Articles For Others Making The Plunge:
Engine & Valve Headwork - Import Turner
S-A Design Engine Blue Printing
Maximum Boost

Modification List
[Stage 0]

Non-Leaky 13c 3/17/13
Fuel Filter 3/21/13

Last edited:
you wont get your power goals with those turbos, go ebay turbo, look at my build thread i made 262whp and 269tq on stock manifolds and a ebay turbo on e85 with lostartof chips and a ipd cam

yea it probably will, but look at what a 19t will run you, and you can get a proven 400whp (with supporting mod) turbo off ebay for 100-130 bucks

Update: Figured out the heat. Good compression (190-190-190-182) so no blown headgasket. Took it over to North Conway NH this past weekend. 130 mile round trip & it ran great. Smokes a little still, needs a turbo. Pretty sure it has a g80 locker too :)

Recent work:
-Replaced rear pinion seal
-Fixed Heat
-BPR7ES Plugs
-Delo/Mobile 1 Oil Change
-Sourced 530 Head. Planning on porting exhaust side - 3 way valve job with rsi 38mm valves & springs. Rsi stage 3 cam.

Back