• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M47 Transmission Fluid Choices

Dexron works fine in the M46/M47. How do I know? I have used it for well over 15 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, both in my own vehicles and customers vehicles. Type F is the recommended fluid by Volvo. The issue here now (see earlier posts) is that it appears that Volvo is now recommending the 1161645 fluid (see the back of the bottle). I know that Type F and Dexron work fine in these trannys, but it sounds like the Volvo fluid may work a bit better. Seems in line with Redline MTL (specs).

Got about 20k on the Volvo fluid now, shifts smooth and no grinding of synchro's which happened with the MTL after 50k. There's 360k on the M47 now, still doing fine. I took it across the USA for a 5500 mile romp, ran flawlessly.

I drive it up to the top of Sandia Crest 2-3 times a week, and that's taking hairpin corners near redline in 2nd-3rd, at an elevation gain of 6000 ft over 13 mile course on the Crest Highway up then down after a good 10 mile hike. I keep thinking it'll take a dump on one of these romps and kill the M47 but it still lives no matter how hard I drive it.

I will have to say that the Volvo fluid sells today as discussed here in the thread is not the same as what Volvo puts in these lifetime fill of fluid M47's when it left the factory. The factory fluid is absolutely clear, not red, not amber, not brown or anything but crystral clear and odorless. When I recieved the Volvo fluid this past spring, it came from the bottle as a brownish fluid with a disticnt smell of Hypoid gear oil. Although it says it is synthetyic, it smells like hypoid fluid, and suspect that it may not be anything different than the Valvoline Hypoid Durablend gear oil.

hi --- first timer on m47 fluid change.

1. how many liters does my m47 take?

2. do i need to replace the seal copper rings for both plugs? are there even any there?

3. up to where is full? until it starts dripping from the upper plug --- means its full?

thanks in advance.

andrew

Right from the Green Book: M46 early, through 1990, 2.4 qts
M46 late, 1991 on 2.7 qts
M47 type I 1.4 qts
M47 type II 1.7 qts
Also from the Green Book: On complaints about gearbox noise, Volvo Thermo oil PN 1 161 243-9 (see previous posts)

This has been a fascinating thread to read, regardless of old. I have used Syncromax in many 46 and 47 transmissions for years, but have recently reverted to good quality type F in both, just plain, non-synthetic ATF. I swear the 250k+ mile M-46 in my wagon shifts better with that than it did with the Syncromax. I run minimum 2 qts in all M47s.

I'm approaching 50,000 miles on the fluid (2,000 to go). I'll be drain/refilling when I get there, and will update on how the old stuff looks. Still shifts really nice - it was below 20F yesterday and today, too.

The Volvo fluid (1161645) also jumped up in price since I last bought it in 2012 - it's $16.69 at Tasca. I guess a ~30% price increase over 3 years isn't terrifying. Maybe.

Got my Starla exhaust kit installed, and passed inspection earlier this week, so I am in the mood to get my 1990 Volvo 240 DL wagon with the M47(2) in good shape.

After reading through this whole thread, I think I will change the trans fluid. Probably going to order some of the Volvo gear oil, but I might just go with the type F fluid because that's what the book calls for, and I can get it a lot cheaper. Pennzoil and Valvoline both have Synchromesh that I can pick up locally for about $8 a quart. The Valvoline part number is 811095, and my local NAPA has it in stock. It's $1 a quart cheaper than the Pennzoil.

Read that the drain plug and fill plug are easiy to mess up. Any tips or suggestions getting the plugs out without messing them up? I already know to take the fill plug out first.

Long needed update: I have been buying and using Fuchs Sintofluid which is labeled 75w-80, more like a 10w30 I am guessing, GL-4 oil. I just changed a 1993 244 that we got for resale, though I am keeping it for now, yesterday using this oil, and it was a noticeable improvement. This oil is a DIRECT interchange part for Volvo 1161645, and I am guessing it is the very same fluid too. I get the oil direct from one of our wholesale parts suppliers. Running the full 2L in an M47. I did use Redline MTL in my 242's M46 when I did the clutch a few months back. Works great. I only used that fluid because I had some on the shelf that I wanted to use up.

I've used Penzoil Synchromesh (yellow bottle) in my M47 with decent success. It took a day of ≈4 hours driving to a drift event, ≈6 hours of abuse on the track, and then ≈4 hours driving home and never had any issues shifting at all

Cold weather update on the Fuchs vs. MTL vs. ATF- I like the Fuchs better. The '93's M47 shifts easily even cold. The MTL in the M46 has caused a slightly harder shift when cold. Once warmed up, it is fine. May try Fuchs in it this Spring. I have one M47 left which is in our single family owned '87 245 that is still running ATF. I had Mobil 1 Dexron ATF in it before they switched to the universal stuff. I think its has been at least 8 years or so since I last changed it, perhaps more. Has not seen enough mileage to justify changing it, however. Started that in single digit temps and it still shifts easily. I plan to change that to Fuchs when I do the clutch.

I liked MTL in the M46 better than in my M47 cars. I also experienced the same balky shifting with it when cold and then would be good once warmed up. Thanks for the update and info on a good lubricant.

Reviving this thread after finding it and purchasing some Titan Sintofluid from Bimmerworld. My M47 has had MTL or other gear lube in it (haven't touched the trans lube ever since purchase since it was working), and was a bit balky in the cold but mostly had synchro issues with it denying entry into 1st, 2nd and 3rd from time to time, and mostly 3rd gear lately with the occasional grind when the synchro gives up completely.
Since changing to the Fuchs fluid (2L pumped into the trans case), the trans gradually improved over the following 1-2 weeks and now the synchro operation is very much noticeably better both hot and cold, and I've only managed to surprise 3rd gear and get it to grind a few times. Engagement of 3rd is still higher in effort, and I already knew the synchro was worn from how it's been acting but the improvement from the change in lube is fantastic.
For context, my car has an indicated 304k mi, presumably original motor and maybe original M47 (product plate etc state that it was M47 from the factory) for what that's worth.

*Edit*: Up in the Rochester area we're moving towards some semblance of winter; if things change with the performance of the sintofluid for better or worse and if I remember, I'll make another post here detailing my cold weather experience with it as others have.

Reviving this thread after finding it and purchasing some Titan Sintofluid from Bimmerworld. My M47 has had MTL or other gear lube in it (haven't touched the trans lube ever since purchase since it was working), and was a bit balky in the cold but mostly had synchro issues with it denying entry into 1st, 2nd and 3rd from time to time, and mostly 3rd gear lately with the occasional grind when the synchro gives up completely.
Since changing to the Fuchs fluid (2L pumped into the trans case), the trans gradually improved over the following 1-2 weeks and now the synchro operation is very much noticeably better both hot and cold, and I've only managed to surprise 3rd gear and get it to grind a few times. Engagement of 3rd is still higher in effort, and I already knew the synchro was worn from how it's been acting but the improvement from the change in lube is fantastic.
For context, my car has an indicated 304k mi, presumably original motor and maybe original M47 (product plate etc state that it was M47 from the factory) for what that's worth.

*Edit*: Up in the Rochester area we're moving towards some semblance of winter; if things change with the performance of the sintofluid for better or worse and if I remember, I'll make another post here detailing my cold weather experience with it as others have.

Both of my M47s were a bit stiff on a cold start in the morning with MTL. Balky 1-2 and 2-3 shifts until warmed up. Interestingly with my M40 it shifts wonderfully with MTL when cold. I think that wear on the transmission may be a factor here. Although that would probably be hard to test given the high mileage and abuse most M47 synchros have been through.

Both of my M47s were a bit stiff on a cold start in the morning with MTL. Balky 1-2 and 2-3 shifts until warmed up. Interestingly with my M40 it shifts wonderfully with MTL when cold. I think that wear on the transmission may be a factor here. Although that would probably be hard to test given the high mileage and abuse most M47 synchros have been through.

For sure definitely synchro mischief going on in my m47 especially with the either 300+k or ???,??? miles on it, but definitely very pleased with the Fuchs in my case with the M47 as the synchros have noticeably improved in function in the month or so now since fluid change.

I came across this thread doing some digging for a customer's car.

How about the 31280771 fluid? Somehow I came up with that as being the proper Volvo fluid a few years ago when I changed it in my current M47 (third). It shifted better than the synthetic ATF that was in there for the previous 8,000 miles that also came out looking a little metallic... It was a "new" to me transmission that had been pieced together from other used ones and I drive the car pretty hard. It may or may not have had a missed 2-3 shift in there while drag racing. That being said, it does have an issue when cold going into 1st (maybe also 2nd?) gear at times. Usually just with the first stop or two. Whatever!

If I remember correctly, we were using Redline's MTL when we raced the General Leif using an M47. We had to rebuild or go through the thing every race or three, typically due to shifting issues... Some of that was driver inflicted, but not always! Maybe we should've used something else?

Last edited:
I've noticed the MTL always needs a bit of warmup and then it's a good shifting fluid. The best cold weather fluid was Type F but the MTL was some good stuff. It's too expensive to waste with my seeping new trans. So, I just keep using the cheepest Type F. :e-shrug:

I ran M47 for about 6 years. I tried pretty much every type of recommended fluid in it. Redline, Amsoil, Type F, Lucas, Volvo and so on. The best that seemed to make it quiet and shift smooth was Vavoline Syncro-mesh. Available at Oriellys and alot cheaper than alot of these.

Back