• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The 2016 East vs. West Competition.

Definitely some tuning to be had. With the 341 or 351 on mine I was in the 2.3-2.4 60' range but 105 up top. Garrett dropped down to 2.0 but only 101 up top. I could only get 3-4psi at launch on the stall with the holset, but the dang Garrett I gotta pedal to keep from lighting the tires at the line.

I had the same issue regardless of turbo with the stock aw71... 60's in the 2.2-2.3 range. Brake boosting and launch control eventually got me to like 7psi and the 60' down to 2.0sec with the stock converter but it takes a second or two to build the boost.

Dang, looks like last weekend was the last weekend PIR will be running Friday Nights. Rain in the forecast for the next 2 weekends, and well, most likely rain the next.

Our season is finishing up this week too. There is a test n tune all day Saturday. Then its all done for the winter. I did make it out for few passes last week. But I ran my 16V car to 13.85@105. Chevy's don't count, so I won't post it.

I don't think I'll be making it out for racing in the Volvo this year. :(

Some warm weather cities have racing year round. So keep posting up numbers if you can get em.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and go and improve my time this Sunday. I've leaned it out on the top end to get rid of the bad misfires. Also runs better after fixing some voltage drops in the ems supply.

I've got a switch to use for launch control. Just need to rig up a bracket this week and wire it up. Should help my horrible short times, or blow up the clutch.

Improved my time a little bit. Car 4032 in the left lane.
164476127.jpg

Ran it at 15 psi. Since it was below 14.0, I got warned to have a helmet and fire jacket next time.

I got the launch control clutch switch mounted and wired, It builds ~6 psi in 1-2 seconds with the limit set at 2500 rpm. On the datalogs, because the engagement point is pretty high, the rpm goes up to about 4000 before the clutch grabs if I sidestep the clutch pedal. More than half the launches I did today just lit up the tires to where I had to lift clear off the gas to get traction back. I haven't been doing burnouts because I have radial 225/40-18 tires, and I didn't think it would help much with those.

She's hurt, oil pressure is down. Not sure if it's simply the transfer tube seal or bearings again. Tube seal, engine stays in the car, bearings, engine comes out, time to source another block and build it up from the ground again.

That launch control trick sounds fun. Maybe you need to play with the traction control too?? Or just launch it easy. It's tricky on radials. Nice pass!

Improved my time a little bit. Car 4032 in the left lane.
164476127.jpg

Ran it at 15 psi. Since it was below 14.0, I got warned to have a helmet and fire jacket next time.

I got the launch control clutch switch mounted and wired, It builds ~6 psi in 1-2 seconds with the limit set at 2500 rpm. On the datalogs, because the engagement point is pretty high, the rpm goes up to about 4000 before the clutch grabs if I sidestep the clutch pedal. More than half the launches I did today just lit up the tires to where I had to lift clear off the gas to get traction back. I haven't been doing burnouts because I have radial 225/40-18 tires, and I didn't think it would help much with those.

East Coast - Hybrid

1991 240 with a 2jzge/R154 swap. Stock engine besides headstuds and modified intake. Holset HX35w at 13psi, ebay header, 03 cobra 39lb injectors, LS coils. Rebuilt R154 with all the fancy upgrades and the damn thing still doesn't like being rushed and when it does go into gear there is nothing smooth about it... Explorer 8.8 with 3.73 gears and carbon fiber clutches. And the Achilles heel of the day: Cooper RS3-A all seasons out back that spun in first, second, and sometimes third no matter how much I tried to baby it. Fun day though.

13.28 @ 108 was the best I could manage out of it.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5QwRbXanNlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• timeslip.jpg
    timeslip.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 101
  • engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 101
My submission for east coast 2016.

My 1991 Volvo 240.
2.5L
H beam Rods,
Wiseco Pistons,
MS3x
IPD Turbo Cam,
SS Turbo Header with 60/63 garrett
A Failing M47
A bad tune, driven by a bad driver.

picture.php

Wow, that's REALLY bad! I don't think my wagon ever went that slow in the 60', even with the Holset. Definitely time to find about another 150hp out of that build...

Wow, that's REALLY bad! I don't think my wagon ever went that slow in the 60', even with the Holset. Definitely time to find about another 150hp out of that build...

I literally put it together the night before. lol I got finished at 3am, woke up 6 hours later and drove 2 hours to a car show/drag race and made 4 passes. no tune, low boost and a rev limit of 5800 cause I forgot to adjust it in TS. Only way to go is up. :-P

Oh, I forgot I need a Witness, I met about a dozen other Volvo guys out there, just need to have one chime in.

Back