• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 92 Harmonic Balancer spins on crank?

VolvoNutt

K-jet Newbie
My HB does not click or snap onto the crank, it just spins freely. Is this normal? There is no Key to hold it in place.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, just my first time going back together with one after doing a TB.:oops:

Pics need to be hosted elsewhere, like imgur or the like, then linked here.

The balancer should engage a nub on the crankshaft gear, unless the nub is sheared off. It's not a big nub, just enough to located it, prior to tightening.

You either put the crank gear on backwards or sheared the nub off.

1336927_1.jpg

In order to post pics you need to upload them to an image hosting site. Then paste the address into the box that pops up when you click the little mountain icon.

Alternatively, you could donate to the site which turns your name blue and allows you to upload them directly to the server.

fullsize_7669.jpg

For gentle alignment purposes only. One little nub fits into the slot on the crank, and the other (protruding upwards off the face of the gear) fits into a little notch on the front pully/harmonic balancer. It's a small nub, it will only engage when the pulley is about fully seated.
/that's what she said

Last edited:
The balancers also have a nasty habit of spinning on their hub. Make sure it's not the outer pulley that's turning while the hub is stationary.

B230Balancer1.jpg
B230Balancer2.jpg

It will take a day or three for Dana to get everything processed. When you see your name turn blue and your status changes to contributor, you're all set.

I've had the "spinning" thing happen where the rubber broke down. Just need to put a new one on if that's the case. Strangely I've seen it way more frequently on 740s but I can't tell you why, I think they're both the same...

Saw you are in CO-where abouts?

This old HB is not going to hit the nub unless i torque it down with the gun. Should I be able to do it by hand? Would a new HB go on by hand? I really don't want to wait for a new HB to come in the mail but if I need it then thats a priority.

You should be able to walk it onto the crank by hand without much issue. If it won't slide on, maybe clean the rust/corrosion from the crank and the ID on the balancer.

Back