• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Shopping list for F+T?

Thanks

Also, are there differences in the cams of stock turbo and non-turbo cars? Would it be worthwhile to grab the cam as well?

There’s a minute difference in the cams. I wouldn’t bother personally. You should complete one project at a time if you’re new to this. Just swap everything over and get it running and driving reliably before tearing into the engine.

So I've been itching to try to do a F+T build for quite some time. Unfortunately, redblock volvos seem to be rather uncommon down here in south Florida, it's rare to find any on classifieds or in a junkyard. So I'd like to try to get together a complete list of everything that I'd potentially need to pull on the chance that I find something in a junkyard or being parted out.

I'm not looking to make big power with this, especially with the skinny rods, just a fairly nice streetable car in the 180-200hp whp range with low cost being a priority. I've been doing my best to read up on the subject, but the board's search feature is... lacking, and most threads that I've been able to find are a 5+ years old and full of dead links.

This is what I've been able to come up with so far for a list of the parts that I'll need.

1. Turbo (duh)
- Obviously a stock volvo turbo would be the easiest bet, but are there any other
common cars out there with a turbo that will bolt up to the volvo manifold?

2. Exhaust manifold
- I've heard that manifolds from later years flow better, when did this
update/changeover happen?

3. Edit:Turbo Downpipe

4. <strike>Airbox+associated piping</strike> Edit: Cold Air Intake instead of stock intake

5. Intercooler+brackets+piping

6. Oil feed/return lines

7. Edit: Oil Cooler

Now, according to this article, that should be all that I need for a basic 6-7psi boost build. Is that accurate? Will the stock computer be able to handle that much? But beyond that, I would need:

8. Computer
-My '87 uses LH2.2, if I find a 2.4 car, what other parts would need to be replaced
alongside the computer? Would I be able to use the OBD system?

9. Wiring harness
-My '87 is already showing some harness rot, so this would have needed to be done
eventually anyway

10. Injectors
-Apparently the 850 turbo injectors also will work?

11. Fuel Pump

12. Fuel Pressure regulator

Is that it? What else would I need to grab?
If you can find an 850 r that would be your best bet.

Back