• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

Nice work on the ring gear. i remember heating my coil sleeves and the wife coming home.....she had that sniff, sniff look and just like you Im sure....that awful glare!

now im hungry for some pizza... Interesting, round flywheel in Freezer, Pizza flavor ring gear in oven and frozen pizza in freezer.

THESE ARE SIGNS FROM VOLVO.. or im going crazy again;-)

No food involved this morning, just about an hour of deconstruction. T5's come out so much more easily than Volvo transmissions, for the sole reason that you can remove the 4 bolts holding it to the bellhousing adapter. Plus it's a lot lighter.

Car up in the air on 4 jack stands.
_IMG_9458.jpg

Boring interlude where I take stuff apart...

Cut to the chase. I know it's been slipping a little under certain circumstances - not really under full throttle, but if I get on the gas a little too soon in a shift. Anyhow, the flywheel shows some abuse. Not the ULTRA SKURRY long cracks that meant my feet were about to get chopped up, but lots of very small surface checking, and a nice blue color.
_IMG_9459.jpg

Pressure plate (red Clutchnet) shows some bluing, but no surface cracking:
_IMG_9460.jpg

Kevlar CN disc still looks fairly decent. It's got some wear on it, but it's not fried or chewed up really:
_IMG_9461.jpg

_IMG_9462.jpg

Nice to see the RMS still staying pretty dry.
_IMG_9463.jpg

Oh, and took the opportunity to take the crank sensor and bracket out too.

Last edited:
And then I stuck some airbags on the PV:
IMG_9466.jpg

OK, not really, I just had the other corner jacked up.

Got a nice little package from Spec today.

Stage 2+ Saab 9000 clutch. Here it is sitting on the JohnV flywheel:
IMG_9479.jpg

One side of the disc is Kevlar:
IMG_9481.jpg

The other side carbon-graphite:
IMG_9480.jpg

Good for 509 ft lbs of torks, yo!

Probably take it to a MS to get balanced as a pair tomorrow.

Looking good :D

How's the underdrive pulley working out?

Minor hassle in getting the correct sized belts. First attempt lead to belts that are *almost* too long - both the alt and the A/C comrpessor are pretty much adjusted all the way out, and the belts aren't *too* tight. I'll have to replace them with something even shorter before too long.

But the pulley looks great, hasn't flung itself off in a fit of metallurgic revulsion yet. Nice to have shed some pounds off the front of the engine. I think the underdrive part will be of good use when I get the light JohnV flywheel and clutch on and start revving it higher (I've been a bit nervous about spinning that dogish past 7000 rpm, call me paranoid).

Back