• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

odometer not working...'90 240

Cyracus

bypassed the temp comp board, thought I put everything back the same it came out, but the odometer isn't working, was working great before, and everything else is fully functional still. Double checked that connectors were fully seated, and never removed the speedometer housing from the board so it shouldn't be the gears. Anybody got an idea why my odometer suddenly isn't working?

Addendum: went for a drive again, at one stop noticed my speedometer rose to about 90 then dropped off the right side, then when I was pulling into my driveway my odometer suddenly started working again. Is there some way the transmitter may have got damaged?

Last edited:
In my odometer repair page I outline a small number of the emails I've received from people who have experienced dead odometers after doing work on them. There are many who have then seen the odo mysteriously come back to life after some driving. While the cause is one of those mysteries that may never be explained, the common thread may be disconnecting the power plug on the back of the speedo. Some think there may be some sort of reset breaker that takes some time to reset in some cars.
Dave B

ok, any idea about the speedometer acting funny? It topped out at a dead stop, returned to normal as I drove, then noticed it bouncing around a bit while driving, could it be related to the reset breaker or should I be looking somewhere else?

I read that on your page Dave. I have a 92 so it has the electric cluster. I replaced the gear for the odometer and it would work for a few miles then stop. I re-installed and re-checked everything three times before calling it quits. It started working after an hour long drive and has been working perfectly since then.

well, tried the poke and prod method one person suggested on your site, didn't get me anywhere...oh well, here's to hoping it starts up again soon

Addendum: went for a drive again, at one stop noticed my speedometer rose to about 90 then dropped off the right side, then when I was pulling into my driveway my odometer suddenly started working again. Is there some way the transmitter may have got damaged?

What does it mean when you say "dropped off the right side?"
Are the temp and fuel gauges steady?
Are the warning lights coming on as they should in lamp test mode?

All these items get their power through the L-shaped card edge connector you probably plug in last. It could have loose contacts. But, on to the odometer...

The original gear can fall apart in the presence of an East wind this late in its life. But a broken tooth (it takes two missing to stop it entirely) can jam its progress. If any stress was put on the speedo circuit board, you could have intermittent odo where the motor leads join the board - circular cracks.

Mysteries abound in this world, but this is truly fathomable. The 92 gets its ground in two places: one for the divide-by-4 prescaler is in the transmitter loom -- the black wire on that L-shaped plug. Rest of the gauge is through the cluster board. Did you do the temp faker bypass without removing the speedometer gauge? If not, check the pins and sockets where the gauge mates with the cluster board. Easy to get them misaligned.

speedo036.jpg

speedo042.jpg

Back