• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 3" stainless over the axle exhaust

yama

Almost done building a full 3 inch stainless exhaust for my 240. It ended up being over the axle because my resonator ended up pointing that way. I like the look better as it is more stealthy and looks cleaner but making all the extra bends was a bear. I used a 8" flex pipe, Vibrant metallic core cat, Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and MRBP 3" in dual 2.5" out muffler along with 2 vband clamps. Need to pull down the 3 sections and finish welding all the seams and trim the dual outputs. Still a couple a of days before I get to hear it. I will take a few pictures of the sections when there off the car.

Attachments

• tb3inch3.jpg
    tb3inch3.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 895
  • tb3inch2.jpg
    tb3inch2.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 890
  • tb3inch1.jpg
    tb3inch1.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 888
That looks really good its not my car and i want to hear it. The whole underside of that thing is clean.

Pulled off the downpipe today and finished seaming all the joints. Also reinforced the front mount which is made from an NA bellhousing bracket with some 3/8 stainless rod. The bracket has some high temperature barbque paint on it. Tomorrow I hope to finish welding up the resonator and over the axle pipe. That's my old downpipe in the back. yuk!!

Attachments

• 3inchdp.jpg
    3inchdp.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 805
Today I finished welding the seams on the resonator section. The resonator mount is cut from a stock NA resonator. Not shown in the picture but I also cut the not needed corner off the mount and painted it with high temperature barbque paint as its not stainless. My original plan was to make the resonator section and axle section one piece. It wasn't possible to drop the pipe in one piece(bummer) so I had to add an additional vband on the resonator output. Finished welding all the seams on the over the axle pipe but still need to refit the pipe and cut the last V section again due to the added vband. Going over the axle uses 2 extra bends so I had to make 2 of them out of V sections. This is the first time I welded stainless and I was surprised to see that my tank of tri-mix is almost empty with running almost 2lbs of 308L wire. I don't normally like to take a hammer to the sheet metal but adding an additional 1" of clearance for the exhaust was to tempting. I did nice to it after by giving it a fresh shot of undercoating.

Attachments

• 3inchsections.jpg
    3inchsections.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 712
  • 3inchfloor.jpg
    3inchfloor.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 713
Some pictures of this mornings progress. Labor of love grinding out ridges. Trimming tips with a 14" dry cut saw. Not related but a bottom shot of turbo feed/drain with remote oil filter adapter. Bottom shot of downpipe installed.

Attachments

• 3inchgrind.jpg
    3inchgrind.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 679
  • 3inchtiptrim.jpg
    3inchtiptrim.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 681
  • turbodrain.jpg
    turbodrain.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
You started out ok on the downpipe, but the rest...

You shouldn't just cut the pipe on a miter like that. Cut perpendicular to the bends.

I'd be tempted to re-do the overaxle section personally, that ain't gonna flow well...

I bet that because the inside of it is so smooth since its polished, that there is very little friction on the inside surface of the pipe. There are no 90 degree bends, the sharpest bend I see looks like 45 excluding the DP

Back