• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Carbed 245...

Hotdoggin

But not the way you're thinking... I bought this car from a guy I met in Pick N Pull, while I was pulling the fuel rail out of a 240. We talked out there until we were sunburned, went and ate some lunch, bull****ted some more and he told me he had a quad round 78 that needed a new home. He asked what I'd pay, told him I don't make offers, and he threw out 150$... so, he told me all the stuff going on with it, and I bought it after he pinned me to the seat down a dirt road in it throwing a huge rooster tail. Every suspension bit is jacked, but it runs like no other. Amazing. (Feel free to move this thread, but I thought you guys would appreciate this thing.)

vo0PUvZ.jpg

YAMAHA (THANKS BENSKI) Virago carb... and lots of epoxy, carbon fiber and fiberglass...

zWww2mw.jpg

Cold start system, a spritz of butane... fuel pressurizing system, an unlit propane torch. Actually a fairly ingenious solution to pressure loss.

xyqqYDO.jpg

3r8EOPm.jpg

Last edited:
Do you mean a Yamaha Virago motorcycle carb? I've never heard of a Honda Virago. Looks pretty ingenious, if not Amelia Island concours de' elegance ready.;-)

YAMAHA. You're correct. Post amended. Honestly? It works, and works really well. The poly-ethylene clear lines are cause for concern, but they are actually fairly robust, and these have been on there for ten years.

Heck, if you've got the money and room, it looks like a good value. Good luck with your new find.:)

Oh, I bought it soon as I drove around the corner and saw the headlights. I bought it again when he dumped the clutch on the dirt road and threw my brother to the rear hatch (no rear seats,) then I bought it once more on the drive home where I didn't have to struggle to merge into traffic or accelerate from stop lights. My Brown 245 has issues, still, even after all that fuel-system work I did. It's so slow and weak compared to this bodged together car.

And you know what? After a wash, the paint is in fairly decent condition.

That carb is probably no bigger than 34mm. The yamaha Virago ran 2, the engines are not big on those bikes either. I'm glad he didn't try and use the Virago starter as well...

I literally said everything you guys said. The carb is TINY for the car, but it works, SOMEHOW, and it works well. Probably inefficient as ****, I'm not even going to bother to check the MPG, or fix the fuel sender, or anything. It starts on the first key bump every time. I was skeptical as well. This thing is a total anomaly.

All of the emissions junk is gone, blocked off, capped, whatever. I can pull the starter out from under the manifold, out of the top of the engine. It's STRIPPED bare of everything save for a few wires. When I get home, I'll take a bunch of pictures for you guys.

The cold start system is set up that way because he never hooked up the choke on the carb.

I think I love this car even more because it shows that **** CAN be done with the right mindset, and some parts you have laying around... I drove it 45 minutes or so to get it home, and you'd never know it was a weirdo bodged POS from the way it goes. Idle is set perfectly for me, too... release clutch with no throttle and it takes off like a diesel. -shrug- 150$, I think I made out like a bandit. He also admitted the day we started it was the first time it'd been started since 2012. First key turn.

He's got an 84 with a dodge V8 in it, too... That'll probably be coming to live with me, as well.

X7dXY5D.jpg

I literally said everything you guys said. The carb is TINY for the car, but it works, SOMEHOW, and it works well. Probably inefficient as ****, I'm not even going to bother to check the MPG, or fix the fuel sender, or anything. It starts on the first key bump every time. I was skeptical as well. This thing is a total anomaly.

All of the emissions junk is gone, blocked off, capped, whatever. I can pull the starter out from under the manifold, out of the top of the engine. It's STRIPPED bare of everything save for a few wires. When I get home, I'll take a bunch of pictures for you guys.

The cold start system is set up that way because he never hooked up the choke on the carb.

I think I love this car even more because it shows that **** CAN be done with the right mindset, and some parts you have laying around... I drove it 45 minutes or so to get it home, and you'd never know it was a weirdo bodged POS from the way it goes. Idle is set perfectly for me, too... release clutch with no throttle and it takes off like a diesel. -shrug- 150$, I think I made out like a bandit. He also admitted the day we started it was the first time it'd been started since 2012. First key turn.

He's got an 84 with a dodge V8 in it, too... That'll probably be coming to live with me, as well.

X7dXY5D.jpg

^It's probably slower with that v8 than with the redblock:rofl: Just kidding.

It moves, believe me... it also tows like you wouldn't believe. I watched him drag a firetruck out of the back of his yard with it. An old flatnose Mack fire truck. It was really, really impressive.

I like the guy a lot, he likes to bull**** about cars, and has parts on parts on parts. Good dude to know.

Perhaps you should remind him that without a top on that filter, he's sucking in dirty air.

I did it for like 2 months though, so it's probably okay.

ninja edit: unless the hood seals it..?

I've done something similar to this to get a car running. I had a big motorcycle carb,its what I used when I was buying cars and I wanted to hear the engine spin.

I'm intrigued at what the air fuel ratio is.

Back