View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #22
Board Member

Originally Posted by MoCounselor View Post
Care to give a quick tutorial on using the appliance enamel, as far as steps you took and how the finish ended up?
Sure, but there's nothing too crazy about it. And I wouldn't claim that it's anywhere near the "right way" to do things. I used that paint just because I'm not decided about painting the whole car eventually, or just having the hood done. So this is a good enough for now situation. The appliance paint is just a slightly more durable rattlecan paint that goes on thick and stays pretty glossy for a long time.

To prep, I just washed with degreaser and then wet sanded the hood with 400 grit paper. I sanded it until it felt nice and smooth to the touch, no roughness or anything. It's not perfect, and I didn't fix the little dent where something was closed under the hood. I just sanded it smooth.

To paint, I laid down a medium/heavy coat, overlapping by 50%. It's a hood laying flat, so it's pretty forgiving as far as runs are concerned. It took 3/4 of one can to lay down the first coat. If there's any trick to it, it's this: paint somewhat fast, so that you can get the second coat on there before it dries. This paint doesn't flash like other paint, so I just spray the second coat within 1 or 2 minutes of the first. The second coat should be heavier, and more consistent. Because this coat will be your gloss, so if you leave dry spots, those will look like dull spots in the final finish. The second coat should be thick, and it will take a few days to dry entirely. I like to paint the second coat in swirls, to create a larger wet spot to simulate a larger spray pattern of a real paint gun, if that makes sense. I like to put it in bright direct sunlight to dry faster.

One more tip, try and paint it in the shade, because the bright ass white will start to blind you, and you won't be able to see your spray pattern.

BTW, I discovered this paint when I was touching up my wife's old 66 bug. The rear decklid, apron, and both rear fenders were appliance paint:

That's a spot where I painted a chip, so you can see the appliance paint against the real paint.

It was lowered.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote