• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

I'll give it a try, wouldn't hurt to save the R&P if I could :).

I'm going to use the stock 960 auto. I'll do the accumulator mod to it, and possibly control it via microsquirt...or just manualize it and run it without a TCM :).

Only the early S80s have a separate turbo/manifold setup, and the outlets are teeny tiny (and unique to the dinky turbos on the S80). It's too much hassle to grab them when I can make a manifold myself if I decide to go that way :).

Welp, the 4cyl is definitely coming out in the spring/summer. I drove the car today and everything was great...except I'm still being plagued by a rev-limiter style cut at 9-10 psi. I've gone from single-coil/MS1 to 36-1 trigger wheel/waste-spark/MS2, and I just can't shake it. Under 9 psi, not a problem...but anything more than that and it rears it's ugly head. The only commonality are the engine and transmission, so I guess they'll get removed at some point.

I helped a buddy move his car to his new garage that's inside an abandoned factory, and took some pictures while there.

bzzmjgYC_o.jpg

jemn2ikA_o.jpg

Started stripping down the B6304 last night...and I have a question. Are the painted-on pink dots on my cam gears supposed to be the alignment marks? Also, a related question, aren't the cam gears supposed to have markings on them for the timing? Mine are blank, not a single mark. I've DLd as many versions of B6304 manuals as I can find...and they all say 'align the marks', lol.

I feel absolutely stupid having to ask this question, because I've been building cars for half my life, but cam gears without marks make no sense.

The local scrappers all of a sudden got two 960s, a 95 and a 97, so I've been shopping :). I got a MAF, IAC, intake pipe, and power steering pump, so I officially have everything I need for the swap. I also grabbed some cam gears from the 95, because they have marks on them.

If it's warm and you feel like it, can you grab the bell housings? I know it's probably not worth the work.

I honestly think about that all the time...but due to some degenerated disks in my lower back, I have to pick my physical jobs very carefully. Pulling the RWD swap parts would put me out for days. Pulling the B6304 + AW30-40 for my own swap left me bent up for a week :(.

If I could dig up some able bodied help, I'd take a weekend and gather the bits, but there's not too many people willing to work through a snowstorm for someone else's parts, lol.

Nice project. Go Canada. Probably too far to make sense but someone in Alberta is selling what looks like a pretty well matched OE interior

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-...or/1318570326?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

My interior is pretty mint already, with the exception of my mismatched driver's seat. I had to remove the OEM seat because there's minimal back support (my back is a bag of jello and bone splinters), and I sat too high, lol. I still have it though, just in case :).

Well, the compression results have shown me I have two low cyls, #3 and #6. Not wildly low, but quite different from the others, which are all similar. I think I may have some stuck rings, seeing as how it did sit in a junkyard for a while. I'm not too concerned, but I'll keep it in the back of my head while setting everything up.

Ufkc it. I didn't get anything to unstick the rings, but I did get it on the stand finally. This is the part of an engine project I hate the most. Its dirty, greasy, dusty, and generally bleck. Now I have to figure out what I am going to need, gasket-wise.

1V6KcBx5_o.jpg

Got my 900-series technical DVD from OTP last night. There's a lot of good info in there that I haven't found online yet, and the Volvo parts # catalogs are definitely worth the price of admission. It covers the 940s and 960s, so redblocks and early whiteblocks are covered, which is cool. Complete wiring diagrams too.

I've been learning stuff about 6-cyl whiteblocks lately, and I almost regret not going JZ, lol.

My engine is a pre-131035 serial numbered block, so it should have a 21mm timing belt...but has obviously been 'upgraded' to the 23mm belt at the dealership at some point in it's life. I've been contemplating upgrading to the 28mm belt, since there is a 97 B6304 at the local scrap yard, and I've already taken the wider cam gears. I know I'd need the crank cog,water pump, and idler/tensioner pullies, but I'm not sure what else. I'm also not sure it's even worth it, to be honest, considering I'll probably end up changing the belt at some point before 50,000km.

Now I just have to wait until after the holidays to try to harvest money from the budget tree for my timing belt and gasket kits.

Back