• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"

They're expensive, but you can't go wrong with a momo prototipo

jROP0ot.jpg

I presume I should go grab the $175 4-cylinder 92 WC T-5 today off CL.
It'll spread myself a little thin financially till the end of the semester, but its a good deal.

Good deal! Check engagement teeth etc. The last one I bought for cheap turned out to be a turd. Luckily you can find parts for those things easily.

Good deal! Check engagement teeth etc. The last one I bought for cheap turned out to be a turd. Luckily you can find parts for those things easily.

I figured it was probably worth the gamble because even as a core, the 4 cylinder WC units can run $200+ near me. Worse comes to worst, I throw some synchros and bearings in it. I'm not planning on putting much beyond 200hp through it.

So far I have a lead on:
NA pistons
Good complete 16v head with all the accessories and manifolds
Set of GSXR 1000 ITB's with fuel rail

And already have:
T5 and adapter
B230FT engine (getting clearance NA pistons)
V70r/S60r fuel injectors
Dished flywheel and turbo pressure plate

Planning on:
Ebay $70 swirl pot
$30 High volume/low-pressure pump for swirl pot feed
Walbro 255lph for high-pressure
Yoshifab $100 clutch
Microsquirt OR Speeduino
EDIS wheel and VR sensor
Diesel ranger pilot bearing

I'm planning to cut the 16v intake plenum off and use some kind of rubber/silicone hose to join the ITB's to the trimmed down intake. Should be able to use a 7xx accelerator pedal and cable with the spool adapted to the ITBs. DIYAutotune EDIS wheel and sensor on the crankshaft to trigger a set of cheap JY LS coils. Planning to keep the engine on an angle and can run the stock exhaust manifold or build some kind of 4-1 header. I figure that should be enough noise/power for a ~2500 pound car. I'll also put new bearings in the engine and a set of rings to make the used pistons keep some seal and I won't feel as bad if I decide to wind it out once and a while ;-).

I have a set of tan leather S60r seats that I'll wire up for some more comfort, plus the driver's seat is kinda broken and worn out.

So yeah, that's the tentative plan. 16v/ITB backed by a T5 and some eBay goodness.

Last edited:
Thought you were turbo-ing the B20?

That was the original long-term plan. I was originally planning on bringing this to college with whatever drivetrain I had in it and then realized a non-built budget B20 turbo may not be the most reliable for a 200-mile one-way trip. I had visions if keeping this car at home and picking up something else to drive to and from Morgantown with.

I did the math and realized I'd be better off spending the money and doing the swap I really wanted in the 142 and make that into a reliable street car than buying another project and throwing money, time, parts, and insurance at that too.

It's staying NA in the hope it'll be powerful enough to have fun but not run the risk of blowing up.

This arrived in the mail today.
Spotted it on FB marketplace for dirt cheap (like the manual cost less than shipping).
FK14ooml.jpg

All the diagrams are there and its in good condition overall.
w00t

This arrived in the mail today.
Spotted it on FB marketplace for dirt cheap (like the manual cost less than shipping).
FK14ooml.jpg

All the diagrams are there and its in good condition overall.
w00t

Nice. I snagged one on ebay for like $12.... it's an impressively detailed little book. Fun to read just for the heck of it.

eZER1SZl.jpg

bxocX0vl.jpg

142 is home and undercover for the first time in ~10 years.

Not sure what the plans are besides making it roadworthy and driving it. If I can get a job that pays roughly as well as my last one, 16v swap or a B20 turbo is feasible, but I'll have to wait and see.

How do the vent windows lock? Is there a lever on the bottom that I'm missing? I need to re-glue the upper hinges on the vent windows with rear view mirror glue.

Tomorrow will be a wash, buff, and wax day as the outside is filthy and covered in lichens. May also get into diagnosing the two nonexistent cylinders and horrible brake pedal and brake fluid leak.

^
I suspect he is asking about the door vent window locks.
They are small levers that are glued to the glass that rotate and "latch" behind the aluminum window frame to lock.

Car looks great; congrats on getting it home. Should buff out nicely!

A nickel's worth of free advice - get it running well and on the road before you start any modifications. A solid "stage zero" in other words. Then approach each upgrade as a self contained small project that is doable in a weekend. Prep all the parts off the car to minimize downtime. The old pushrod Volvo engines are fun and easy to work on, chances are you can get it running pretty quickly.

Once you blow a project like this apart with grand plans for tons of upgrades and mods, reality sets in and the sheer amount of work in front of you will compound and it will seem like forever before the car is back on the road (if you do reach the finish line).

After approaching projects many different ways over the years - I'll say for a younger enthusiast just starting out, working mostly on your own, it's best to keep the car running and driving as much as possible. You will enjoy the process so much more. You won't know what the car really needs until you get some miles on it. Plus, the motivation of driving it again right away after a smaller manageable upgrade or repair will keep you moving towards the goal. You'll feel the instant results of whatever change you just made. Sort that out completely, then move on to the next thing.

When you're sitting there with a dead shell of a car in front of you, it's hard to see the finish line, and easy to start procrastinating.

Back