• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinion on engine swap

LeedomtoFreedom

I know this has been tossed around but I'm just asking for a quick poll

Currently with a b230ft, hx35, t5 trans. This was my starter car and it's where I cut my teeth on working with cars, so some of the solutions aren't perfect.

Considering making more power, but suffering from some running issues

Should I...

Stick with redblock and go all out, fix issues and potentially megasquirt blah blah

or

just go straight to whiteblock and start fresh.

My thought process leans with whiteblock because it seems as a better long term solution, better power, dohc, better for hx35 without lots of money. newer engine too that's much more available than redblocks. Thinking long term

Well, you already have a trans that can handle a more powerful redblock.

What are your realistic power goals? If you build a moderately powerful redblock you can have long service life. A bit less fabrication for a redblock but both paths have lots of information on accomplishing what you want.

White block swaps are nice but I would build the redblock since I like that choice myself and you asked my opinion. lol.

Realistic goals are key here. Sticking with the redblock is the most obvious choice up to a certain level of HP (and within that, 8V vs. 16V). The 5 cylinder whiteblock is probably the best choice for a certain range. Past that, you're probably better off with something like an LS or 2JZ swap.

Each additional HP out of a given platform costs more than the last one did, at some points it's just a better idea to jump to another $/HP curve.

It's always fun to say "it's just the stock engine block" when someone is blown away that they just lost to an old Volvo.

My $.02, I6 whiteblock with T5. Roger has an adapter for it. Put some low boost on it for an easy 300-325 with upgraded injectors. It's been done so no wheel reinventing here. Smooth reliable powa.

My $0.02 is that the 240 platform is too heavy for a 'performance' 4cyl. I was always very underwhelmed by my B21+T/MS2/AW71/16T combo, because I'm not a believer in high boost. 20 psi to make 300+ just seems counterproductive when you can do it with much less if the engine is 'better/bigger'. That's why I went with the B6304S swap, although I don't plan on boosting it any time soon. A smooth 200/200 on tap, without stress, will be fun enough :).

Yes, an LS would make 300+ much easier, but I like inline-6s and couldn't afford a 2JZ. They've got too much scene tax around here.

I guess I'm trying to crack 300hp not too expensively. Not building a drag car but always like to improve and crank the boost.

What's your overall setup? I ask because an hx35 should get you to your goal of 300hp fairly easily, if you have the right supporting mods.

Okay so I've got a 92 WC T5 (almost the latest iteration) which have been known to hold 300-350 depending on driving style.

T5s have been known to be a little noisy, mine is pretty quiet.

Also not trying to drift away (pun) from Volvo based engines. So no LS because that seems to easy.

I6 whiteblock
is this cost effective compared to an I5 or is the gap much larger.

I have hx35, 94 block, large IC, 43lb inj (probably not big enough) 3" maf, 3" exhaust thats leaks like a siv, 90+ mani with light porting, 530 head, g80 in rear blah blah

Most of the parts I could get to work with a new engine, also have a welder so exhaust and making engine mounts won't be difficult

LS is too easy. Lol.

It's probably no harder or easier than putting *any* engine and transmission other than a redblock in there.

I guess what's easier is the HP you can make with one afterward, but I'm hard pressed to ponder why that would be a bad thing.

Back