• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The 75 242 DL

Are you or were you getting front brake squeal when braking at really slow speeds?

These pads and rotors are the junk that came in the IPD kit. They don't squeal. Only sometimes, like once in a month.

Alternator fixed. Gonna look at the engine Saturday. Might still make the trip... we will see.

Testing image sizes

Pulley machined by 77volvo245: http://forums.turbobricks.com/member.php?u=15875

Engine by Ian and Eric @ hiperformanceauto.

B20 now 2.1L
9.1cr (if I remember correctly)
M-rods
Rotating assembly balanced
D Cam
Double valve springs
High Rev Lifter setup.
46mm intake valves.
38mm exhaust valves.
Ported head (gasket matched also)

Images are a little large.... hmmm. I might have to host on another site.

Last edited:
Finally fixed most of the images in the thread.

Update....

Have been prepping the bay for the new engine. Cleaning all the oil and coolant spray from the old engine and radiator.

Finding a belt to fit.... This is the easiest way to route the belt for now.

Test fitting the intercooler.

punching some holes

Almost ready to drop in the new engine and break it in! Gonna run it NA for a bit. Then Ill add the supercharger. But I am finishing all the stuff I can without the engine in the car for now.

Great to see it's moving along. Thanks for fixing the pics!

With 9:1 compression and 2.1L, what do you expect in terms of NA power from this engine - maybe 125hp? I am no expert in pushrod Volvo performance tuning but I'm always interested to see what can be done with these. My green '75 wagon still has a B20F which might be fun to boost at some point.

Great to see it's moving along. Thanks for fixing the pics!

With 9:1 compression and 2.1L, what do you expect in terms of NA power from this engine - maybe 125hp? I am no expert in pushrod Volvo performance tuning but I'm always interested to see what can be done with these. My green '75 wagon still has a B20F which might be fun to boost at some point.

Thank Duder! Yeah, same here... no expert... Probably somewhere around 130. maybe I will baseline the engine na. then see what everything else adds.
The stock cr is like 8.7 with kjet is around 110 hp no cat factory. which would be fun to boost. I'm playing with the idea of compound charging it at some point... Still have the stock exhaust manifold I will probably get ready to add a turbo :oogle:

Last edited:
What kind of car cover is that you have looks nice

Here is the company: https://www.calcarcover.com/custom-fit-car-truck-covers

Almost done with everything I can get done with the engine out... ready to drop the engine next weekend probably and break it in.

TQQbEEQ.jpg

9diNs2Z.jpg

lhUmDWH.jpg

R4w3Wec.jpg

Lon8Kke.jpg

iZSGQX7.jpg

egR6kOR.jpg

mV8ZkCO.jpg

CqYLPip.jpg

Finally fixed most of the images in the thread.

Update....

Have been prepping the bay for the new engine. Cleaning all the oil and coolant spray from the old engine and radiator.

Finding a belt to fit.... This is the easiest way to route the belt for now.

Putting an idler in the tension side of the belt is not going to work in the long run (especially with a small diameter pulley/roller). The small diameter idler is not compatible with a VRib belt that is a gilmer belt idler and it will not hold up on the tension side (loadwise) (the VRib belt will not like being bent backwards sharply either) and due to the run length of the belt will likely jump off the roller.

You need to run the belt like this with the larger diameter idler (with side ribs to keep belt centered on the pulley due to the run length) on the slack side

20171112_075200.jpg

I realize you will need to rotate that intake elbow 90? (looks like it needs to be moved either way) but that is the best solution.
The belt setup you pictured will not last, I expect it won't make it out of the driveway.
In my design the idler pulley position may need to be moved closer to the small pulley to provide more belt wrap to help with belt slippage.
If the idler is located close to another pulley it won't need side rails.
Minimum idler diameter on the back side would be 3" with less than 45? wrap.
More wrap than 45?, the idler diameter should be increased.

Last edited:
Putting an idler in the tension side of the belt is not going to work in the long run (especially with a small diameter pulley/roller). The small diameter idler is not compatible with a VRib belt that is a gilmer belt idler and it will not hold up on the tension side (loadwise) (the VRib belt will not like being bent backwards sharply either) and due to the run length of the belt will likely jump off the roller.

You need to run the belt like this with the larger diameter idler (with side ribs to keep belt centered on the pulley due to the run length) on the slack side

I realize you will need to rotate that intake elbow 90? (looks like it needs to be moved either way) but that is the best solution.
The belt setup you pictured will not last, I expect it won't make it out of the driveway.
In my design the idler pulley position may need to be moved closer to the small pulley to provide more belt wrap to help with belt slippage.
If the idler is located close to another pulley it won't need side rails.
Minimum idler diameter on the back side would be 3" with less than 45? wrap.
More wrap than 45?, the idler diameter should be increased.

I was only looking at the belt path. That was not how I was doing the tensioner. Already finished the belt stuff for this version. I am probably going to make my own tensioner also once I install. Thank you for the concern.

Update:

Engine was dropped in, cam broken in, and engine was broken in. I have been driving it now for a couple weeks putting some miles on it.

mnzek0r.jpg

MI2VXpK.jpg

TDAzbeG.jpg

L3A5Jgf.jpg

7DPGgPZ.jpg

6OFfFHt.jpg

W558ew5.jpg

RZe62c8.jpg

Cam Break in

XeGRYcz.jpg

OAgxMjY.jpg

EZwUxyC.jpg

XR8kQSn.jpg

XfMKVrx.jpg

Ready for boost!

ieMYRa1.jpg

Also, added the missing part from the lower bumper I never put on...

6GR6avT.jpg

EJND0J8.jpg

We noticed there was oil leaking.

QjUiqYc.jpg

lTAGSF5.jpg

AuT4jK8.jpg

NzpyPcp.jpg

9zy7q22.jpg

Stupid me forgot to let Ian and Eric know that the old pan (reused on this engine) had oil leaking through the bolt holes.

We solved that issue (made a gasket and added more silicone at each pan bolt).

3SSV8Ub.jpg

XXimkBT.jpg

Brand New Injectors:

HTG1BcA.jpg

After 2 weeks of driving. Video not embedding...

https://youtu.be/tglxyqVILVI

I am going to redo the exhaust system in the new year.

After driving for another week, the transmission leak got really bad. I towed it Home. Super awesome guy and company!

OtQ8OmS.jpg

MltT4EG.jpg

ahaxHlw.jpg

sF6SQEK.jpg

pmCcbnb.jpg

N1r6P5h.jpg

That's all for now.

Ordered parts to fix the transmission leak and change the speedo gear. New engine has about 300 miles now.

More to come in the New Year!

Last edited:
Update 03/03/2019:

Wow. It's been a while... The car runs and drives fine. I don't like the brand new injectors that are installed right now. I will probably go back to the injectors that were in the car before.

Anyways, I have been daily driving the car up to 09/08/2018 as I bought a new car to daily drive. I bought the other car, as it was a decent deal for all the work done to it, and now I have a car i can use when I decide to finish the projects on the Blue 75.

I have everything to finish the rear brake kit install (minus new rear spacers from BNE to work with the extra rotor hat). I will also order Ferodo DS2500 Club Race and stoptech slotted rotors for all four corners. We have this setup on the V70r and it is pretty crazy for street and some track duty.

Some misc images from the year.

I had Roger go thru the rsport unit and install the LEDs. So nice!

QARqOH5.jpg

tVHyEq1.jpg

ZuvgqGf.jpg

I6QkgSt.jpg

I added a magnetic phone holder for gps/ speedo/ track data modes.

awe5vEC.jpg

More images on the website I think.

Not much work has been done. I was tired of the seat belt arrangement, so i put in some blue sparco belts with a cheap harness bar.

QkKFpwr.jpg

yJHuKaW.jpg

lyXaatb.jpg

lE0QM2e.jpg

new office chair mode:

gJ6rLA8.jpg

I wanted to try and enjoy more of the soundsystem in the car, so I swapped to a magnaflow muffler. It is a lot quieter now. I swapped out the JBL digital amps (as the multi channel amp was having issues) to alpine digital amps. The alpines are lighter, and a lot more powerful than the JBL, but the mids and highs do not sound as good.

JJEsdMX.jpg

O6TnCET.jpg

nhfSqnt.jpg

Out with the old...

t7ao6tq.jpg

New units. I am running the multi channel amp bridged so it is 300watts per channel now to each 6.5" deck speaker. The 1200 watt sub amp still cant keep up with the level of the components. This sub needs like 3000 watts to have enough gain. hahah

hmPECB2.jpg

0EKuq7q.jpg

Decide it was cheaper to buy a remanufactured unit than buy a press at this point in time...

lJzqJQ5.jpg

ACy08EZ.jpg

Ux5ZL85.jpg

dNvStij.jpg

BPaorrU.jpg

3cCBDfA.jpg

Ih4QT8E.jpg

First test fit run of the belt... Ignore the potato rotation status of the video. :roll:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i8j-A92kWyo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Should be quieter once the intercooler and intake pipes are all hooked up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LjiS42Olbt0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for fueling. I decide to tryout the additional injector controller from split second. It's a nice unit with easy to software. I am going to add one 1200cc injector (should be more than enough head room with this single unit). We'll test this out and see how it works. If it doesn't work well, I do have a few backup options (kjet turbo adjustable fuel distributors, CPRs...etc).

The car will not be done in time for Davis or IPD this year. We have lots of house projects to do, and I can't remove the daily driver option from the Blue 75 just yet. We will need the extra car soon as my brother is putting his car in the shop to have some work done to it, and I will need to put a new clutch in the new car.

As you can see, some of the engine parts need to come off to be cleaned, and painted. Hope to do that one day :rofl:

That's all for now. I hope to finish this car this year.

-Jeff

Last edited:
Back