• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Issues after accumulator mod AW71L

760brick90

Just finished an accumulator mod on my AW71L and under WOT or close to it, it does not like to shift into 2nd and will not shift into 3rd unless i completely let off. Kickdown is adjusted Loose as a Goose. When refilling the transmission I slightly overfilled it. Can this cause a shifting issue?

Why did you leave the kickdown cable "Loose as a Goose"? Were you trying to kill it with low line pressure?

Kickdown was adjusted normally but still had the same issue. Transmission had 250k, guessing by accidentally dumping the torque converter fluid and having to put new fluid in is what probably killed it. Was able to pick up another aw71l with 120k.

Set the shift cable to OE specs, not by heresay. Pounding my AW71 with the aforementioned mod. Zero issues in 20K miles.

its worth noting that if you wait until you notice problems to do the mod, you've waited too long.

You should have had plenty of time to take a look at your kickdown cable while you were doing the accumulator mod

You should have had plenty of time to take a look at your kickdown cable while you were doing the accumulator mod

Kickdown was adjusted as normal from the beginning and the transmission still would not shift into 3rd unless I completely let off. Trans had NO issues before the mod. I guess it was on the edge if its life cycle and not re-using the old fluid sent it the rest of the way.

Kickdown was adjusted as normal from the beginning and the transmission still would not shift into 3rd unless I completely let off. Trans had NO issues before the mod. I guess it was on the edge if its life cycle and not re-using the old fluid sent it the rest of the way.

I bought a 130k aw71L and am having the same issues....I'm not driving the car more than a test drive until I resolve it

I have notised that just a tiny adjust at the cickdown cable do a lot for the character of the gear shift.
I tighten my cabel a bit when I tuned the engine to about 190hk and it shifts gear firmly but not kicking in them. Think this will save the AW71 from slipping clutches and a certain death.

Just put in a low mile AW71L and did another accumulator mod. Kickdown was adjusted as spec and she shifts SO much better. At WOT she shifts right at 5900k, barks 2nd with some nice tires and so much nicer to drive. I guess my old trans was done before I even modded it. I also shimmed the accumulators the same size at the springs (no play) and love it

cool. grab a seal kit and some high energy frictions and steels and rebuild the old one stronger

Back