• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

WNC Spring Meet, April 7-9 (Because MountainMeet is still a long ways off)

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
This was going to be a feeler thread with a lot of questions, but because TB doesn't do well with decision making, f*ck it, here's what's happening.

Last spring, we did a small camping meet up here that was pretty fun (aside from me killing my T5). I (surprisingly) like hanging out with y'all, and some of y'all like hanging out with me (which is even more surprising), so let's do it again.

I got the same campsite we got last year. The campground has hot showers and clean bathrooms.

It's a pretty kickass campsite...

hZphClf.jpg

There's space for a bunch of tents. I'm bringing the ungodly large abomination that I bought last year, because I don't do pup tents. You can bring a tent, hammock, wagon, build your own shelter, whatever. I don't care.

We're staying at Rattler Ford Campground. Clickhere for a map.

rJKsvWT.png

About 2 hours from Atlanta, 3 hours from Charlotte, 2 hours from Knoxville.

The general plan is going to be roughly the same as last year:

Friday: Arrive, set up camp, drink beer and 'shine.

Saturday: Cherohala Skyway/Deal's Gap cruise, hiking, paddling, whatever.

cherohala-skyway760.jpg

If that's not your thing, we could ride over to Hayesville and check out Dave West's restoration shop again.

FB_IMG_1441470326494_zpsds1hyeoj.jpg

20150905_114837_zps4prj8wov.jpg

Saturday night: Drink beer and 'shine, eat grilled meats and Doritos. Benchrace.

Sunday: GTFO

The campsite is already reserved, and the total cost was $100. Bring a little cash and we'll divide the cost up by whoever shows up.

As time gets closer, we'll do some planning and prep. I'm not so worried about food this time because 1) the campground is pretty close to Robbinsville and 2) trying to cook a real meal over a campfire kinda sucks. We'll probably just do dogs/brats/chips/beer, maybe some stew or something.

The Fine Print

1: A note on attendance: If you plan on coming, have the courtesy to let me know in the thread. As a general rule, if we've met before and are cool, come on out. If we haven't met, just shoot me a PM and let me know you'd like to come. I try to open my events to everyone, but see #4 if there are any questions.

2: If you want to arrive Thursday, you can. Do not arrive before say 3pm on thursday the 14th (well, no one at my house. you can come whenever I reckon). I will gladly host a few people at my house Thursday night. Pre-arrival coordination with me is required. First night at the campground is Friday night. Do not arrive at the campground before 1pm.

3: Bring enough 'stuff' (clothes, swimsuit, towel, bath accoutrements) for the weekend and some emergencies. Campground has running water and hot showers. Use them. Don't stink.

4:I reserve the right to throw your ass out, don't try me. I also know (on a first name basis) the people to call if you push the issue. Please don't. Quickest way to get tossed: Piss off a bear or mess up the house. If you do anything dumb or anything that would jeopardize my ability to use NFS facilities in the future, there will be issues. This is a small community. Word gets around.

5: Bring more money than you "think" you'll need. Incidentals are a bitch and you're IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. The cost of the weekend really isn't that high, but double what you anticipate you'll need and you should be alright.

6: Do not bring marginal vehicles. If you're not confident in your car's ability to safely make the trip out and back, leave it at home and buy/beg/borrow/whatever some other means of transportation. You do not want to get out here and have something big fail, and I don't want to have you get out here and have something big fail. Like a T5 transmission. Like I did last year. Don't be like me.

7: If you're unsure about something, bring a spare. If you're planning on driving your car on sunday and you've got an m-46, bring a spare or tow your car. Insert other parts where needed. Bring sufficient equipment to repair whatever you think you'll need to repair. Refer to the marginal vehicle paragraph above. Yes, I'm local, but in this case, local means that we will be anywhere between 1 and 3 hours away from my driveway and garage. Don't plan on using them.

8: My wife will be very pregnant, but isn't due for a few more weeks. On the off chance that I have to dip out early, clean up your damn mess.

9: Be a bro and bring some firewood.

Last edited:
Also in. It might be wise of me to acquire a new t5 for the 242 before then. Its started grinding going into 5th lately.

Hmm.. Never been camping with the wife. Should have a newJZ in the wagon by then..

-Sam

It's a pretty nice camping experience for people like me who don't rough it very often or...ever. Plus the weather in April is amazing in that part of the state.

I dropped the motor in the brown car the week before last year's meet. Think I'll have it running before then?

Not a chance.

Back