• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo B230ft stock fit header

I feel like anyone that's going to build a custom turbo manifold is simply going to go equal length or... fancy rather than just reproducing the stocker but with nicer pipes?

I'm not sure if this is your cad design, but I think if you were going to design something from scratch with a T3 flange it should have an external wastegate port on it somewhere... however, why stay T3? If this is going on a redblock, have you considered the 16g6 off the evo 8?

Not my design; I ust thought the notion interesting. The ideas of flange and external waste gates are good input.

Seems like not a bad option for an improvement over stock (larger ID, smoother' and could be twin srollable?) affording one an opportunity to look stockish.

I feel like anyone that's going to build a custom turbo manifold is simply going to go equal length or... fancy rather than just reproducing the stocker but with nicer pipes?

And as we all know in todays post-truth, alt-factual America that is the thing that counts, what you feel...

But there is a small chance that somebody, maybe even the person making this, had recognized that while "equal length" being "important" is true it is also true that the difference in TIME between a pulse going out and arriving back at a port in a "un-equal" is so infinitesimally small that it is not worth worrying about compared with other factors like runner VOLUME...thus relegating the whole "important to have "equal length" header on a turbo car thing right smack into the realm of "truthiness"...stuff that sounds true, FEELS true--as vital as that is--- but is really worth a puddle of piss.

They may possibly have also thought and concluded the same thing about "external wastegates--within the power possible on a T3 turbo architecture... and thought that the whole "I needz uh Hex-ternal wase-gate" sure makes a guy FEEL better, .......

but is mainly about generating a feeling of overwhelming jealousy in your lesser "well endowed friends" and is mainly a stupid consumer product made in China, packaged to look Japanese to impress impressionable "youts" in "the target demographic.

One very distinct possibility .....:nod:

Not my design; I ust thought the notion interesting. The ideas of flange and external waste gates are good input.

Seems like not a bad option for an improvement over stock (larger ID, smoother' and could be twin srollable?) affording one an opportunity to look stockish.

How do you know you need a bigger runner ID?
In a turbo we change the kinetic enegy of the gas into mechanic motion.

The velocity of the gas in the runner--and thus it's kinetic energy is function of cylinder pressure and runner ID..at least in the old pre-post-truth world.

Do you know what the speed is?
Do you feel it is too high.. What do you feel the exhaust manifold pressure is?

Do you feel you want to slow down the gas speed by enlarging the port ID?

I know "everybody" feels that they want to have bigger everything....but is what "eveyrbody" feels always right?

How do you know you need a bigger runner ID?
In a turbo we change the kinetic enegy of the gas into mechanic motion.

The velocity of the gas in the runner--and thus it's kinetic energy is function of cylinder pressure and runner ID..at least in the old pre-post-truth world.

Do you know what the speed is?
Do you feel it is too high.. What do you feel the exhaust manifold pressure is?

Do you feel you want to slow down the gas speed by enlarging the port ID?

I know "everybody" feels that they want to have bigger everything....but is what "eveyrbody" feels always right?

Points well taken John. All this as I was thinking NA when I stumbled on this. Might end up with a 84 turbo car this week and thought about an improvement over 90- turbo header. Could world what ever flange you wanted on it and certainly should offer rove meant over stock?

And as we all know in todays post-truth, alt-factual America that is the thing that counts, what you feel...

But there is a small chance that somebody, maybe even the person making this, had recognized that while "equal length" being "important" is true it is also true that the difference in TIME between a pulse going out and arriving back at a port in a "un-equal" is so infinitesimally small that it is not worth worrying about compared with other factors like runner VOLUME...thus relegating the whole "important to have "equal length" header on a turbo car thing right smack into the realm of "truthiness"...stuff that sounds true, FEELS true--as vital as that is--- but is really worth a puddle of piss.

They may possibly have also thought and concluded the same thing about "external wastegates--within the power possible on a T3 turbo architecture... and thought that the whole "I needz uh Hex-ternal wase-gate" sure makes a guy FEEL better, .......

but is mainly about generating a feeling of overwhelming jealousy in your lesser "well endowed friends" and is mainly a stupid consumer product made in China, packaged to look Japanese to impress impressionable "youts" in "the target demographic.

One very distinct possibility .....:nod:

Yeah all legit points. I was simply getting at the fact that the benefits of that design may outweigh the costs to generally produce. Had I not been watching equal length V12 on random cars vids on youtube and not be high on nyquil I could've mustered factual info. I was merely trying to illustrate that it's unlikely anyone has used it.

For this point though John, I have an equal length twinscroll (from toxicfab) on my Evo 9MR and while the dyno looked different I noticed zero change in the butt dyno or the way the car drove both on track, autox, or street. That's on a car with literally the entire exhaust done as well. 3" turbo back with uprated O2 housing and no cat. A solid log manifold that's well designed does about everything but look pretty.

Bump- I finally acquired/made all the parts to make this manifold (the one op shared a file of). I'm making mine with a stock 13c flange, with potential to have an adapter that will allow for a t3. I will hopefully have enough time this week finish cutting/tacking everything up. I'll post some pics if anyone wants to check it out.

Bump- I finally acquired/made all the parts to make this manifold (the one op shared a file of). I'm making mine with a stock 13c flange, with potential to have an adapter that will allow for a t3. I will hopefully have enough time this week finish cutting/tacking everything up. I'll post some pics if anyone wants to check it out.
Yes, Please share pics of your progress!

Back