• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Marshall's Dream-Car-DD-Auto-X'er Build

marchul

quarter ricer
1982 242t+ic

I bought the car in March of '07 for $350 from a Porsche Tech who was a former Volvo tech. It didn't run, the previous owner said someone tried to start it with a screwdriver and messed up the ignition lock, he also said that the gas tank was rusted out. The paint was seriously oxidized and the interior was dirty but good.

Here are some pics of when I first bought it.
27-05-07_1537.jpg

27-05-07_1536.jpg

27-05-07_1544.jpg

27-05-07_1539.jpg

27-05-07_1540.jpg

27-05-07_1541.jpg

27-05-07_1543.jpg

27-05-07_1542.jpg

First thing I did was to replace the ignition lock, wasn't too hard. Next up was the fuel tank, for some reason I opted to get a Summit Racing fuel cell that holds 16 gallons. It uses a GM style sender so I had to get a different gauge. I re-did all of the fuel lines up to the fuel pump (I'll have pics of that tomorrow). I need to clean up some of the wiring though.
fuelcell1.jpg

fuelcell2.jpg

Here's a pic of my new boost and fuel gauge. I shoulda got a boost gauge that showed vacuum too, but o well.
gauges.jpg

Then I soon found out that the fuel pump didn't work, so I bought a new Holly pump (more pics to come).

It finally started up, but it only lasted for a few minutes. Turns out the foam in the fuel cell absorbed most of the gas, so I filled it up. Then my car was constantly flooding, so I eventually bought another fuel distributor and injectors. I only used the dizzy and it fired right up, I guess it was clogged with something that was in the old lines.

Next thing was tires and inspection, got that. Now I was on the road! :oogle:

I then spent most of my time doing general maintenance and getting it to Stage 0. Now its pretty much at Stage 0. Oh and John's wires are the best!

Exhaust sucks anyways.... It started dragging while I was driving one day, so I ripped it off and left it for dead.
brokenexhaust.jpg

I got my wheels painted black by a guy who I used to work with. He used a black basecoat with a clearcoat on top. So, its a good paint job that should hold up 100x better than spraypaint. Its jacked up so it looks bad. The wheels are really dirty too.
blackvirgo.jpg

Next I put in an electric fan, Autozone especial. It works great, but is a little loud, but hey, it was cheap. I never put an e-fan in my last 244, because I was afraid of the wiring and switches, but DONT BE!!! It's super easy and definately worth it.
efan.jpg

I put the switch where the foglamps(?) switch was.
P1010597.jpg

I put a MSD Blaster 2 coil in next. I ran out of electric connector things, so there is some loose wire that I'll clean up later.
msdblaster.jpg

When I was working at Freedom Chevy I compounded my car and buffed it out. It looks way better, but the paint was chipping off with the pressure sprayer!!!
P1010592.jpg

Then I installed an intercooler and only got to drive it for 1 day.... It's apart right now because I have the exhaust manifold off.
P1010587.jpg

I had a 90+ laying around so I figured it was a good time to port it and put it on (since I am currently unemployed...). I did the porting myself, its not perfect but I think it will work, I also ported the turbo side.
t3901.jpg

t3902.jpg

t3903.jpg

I autocrossed this car before I had the e-fan and it was soooo much better than my 850. I cant wait to get some suspension done on it.

The next thing I need to do is put in new motor mounts and tranny mounts. I also plan on chopping the springs for now and getting Bilsteins when I get another job. The grill is also gonna get repainted black, the paint is chipping off on it right now. Once I get it back on the road I'll cleaned it up and get some better pics of the outside. Hopefully that won't be too long, there is an autocross coming up this weekend.

Thanks to everyone out there who has answered my questions and helped me become even more broke!

There will be plenty more updates soon!

New pics 1-7-08

Washed the car and figured it was a good time to take some new pics.

P1010606.jpg

P1010608.jpg

P1010609.jpg

Side exit.
P1010614.jpg

But, its too low... Now it rattles over 3000 rpm.
P1010617.jpg

New 120 mph speedo and nicer tach.
P1010620.jpg

P1010615.jpg

Changed the location of the fuel cell. Now I feel a little safer.
P1010610.jpg

New fuel lines from the fuel cell to filter (-8AN).
P1010613.jpg

P1010611.jpg

P1010612.jpg

Anyways, she's doing ok. I also just painted the grill black, so it looks wayy better, so more pics coming.

Last edited:
Nice car man, definately jealous that is pretty much rust free.

Where did you route the vent on the top of the fuel cell to?

Thanks a lot. I used what I think was the stock vent line, but I could be wrong, who knows where it goes... It works though lol.

Yea, Im not sure where exactly it goes... I think it just vents to the atmosphere??? Really, I have no idea though... lol

fyi, don't bother with rear bilsteins. go koni or don't bother.

are you building this for a class, or just build it how you want it and have fun with it?

good luck

fyi, don't bother with rear bilsteins. go koni or don't bother.

are you building this for a class, or just build it how you want it and have fun with it?

good luck

Really? Hmm...

I am trying to keep it in HS as long as I can, though they're not too strict on classes where I go. I would like to stay OUT of SM since they're are so many cars in it. I need to read up a little more on classes though, hopefully I can keep some of the mods on the dl.

HS will be any size or compound tires that fit on any stock sized wheels, as long as you are +/- 1/4" offset (6mm), any shocks (up to single adjustable, iirc), stock springs, any change to front swaybar size, no change in the rear, stock springs, stock alignment range, anything after the cat, any filter that fits like stock, stock head and such, any ignition wires, any brake pads.

if this were my project, and time/money were no object, and you wanted the best setup that would look stock, i'd get as much negative camber as possible, bils or konis up front, konis in the rear, GT or diesel/overload springs all around, GT rear sway (i think it was bigger) cut if you can get away with it, but not too much, ipd 25mm front sway, 14x6 240 Classic mesh wheels, 205/55-14 V710s, porterfield R4 brake pads, as much caster as you can get stock, and 0 toe or so (thats a preference thing, mostly). see if you can find some poly bushings that are black like stock bushings? that may be hard to do. 2.5" catback exhaust, minimal muffling and shortest/lightest pipe available, maybe a B21ET downpipe going into a stock looking cat, a new mann filter, a stock head skimmed to the limit of the rules, boost set to the limit of the rules, kjet tuned to the limit of the factory specs (1.2%co, etc), and a set of john's ignition wires. maybe a volvo oem .63 T3 exhaust housing, since the size identifier is on the inside. yeah

Thats some damn good info and suggestions. Why do you think the 14x6 mesh wheels would be better than virgos? Smaller diameter? I was gonna get a full 3 in exhaust made up, I really dont think anyone would be checking. Already have a 25mm front sway on the way. Already have John's wires. How can you tell if you have a .63 exhaust housing? What years/cars did it come on? I hope I can get away with cut springs and poly bushings, they're not too strict, unless you are winning, then someone will say something...

Well, I want this to be my dd for now too. And money/time is a big factor since I will be in school pretty soon. How do I tune my kjet? Stick an allen wrench in that little hole?? I'll see if its in the greenbooks...

Well, I hope I can do this car right. I am so eager to get stuff done on this car, but shipping from FCP Groton is taking FOREVER!!!!!! I cant even get my turbo and manifold back on.... no studs....

Anyways, thanks a bunch for the class specs, this info will help me out a lot.

they have a lower offset than virgos and the same width. wider track, plus you could still space them out 1/4" all the way around. they are 14s, so they'd be lighter, and tires are cheaper.

i forgot you had a turbo momentarily (it was late). a 3" catback would be awesome, one or two mufflers, as long as theyre straight through. i only suggested the b21et downpipe because it looks stock and doesnt have the stupid close-coupled cat on it, so it would be a nice horsepower boost.

the A/r on teh exhaust housing is inside the inlet, stamped into the metal. yours right now should be a .48, which is good for quick spool and will probably not be a hindrance to you at the moment, but if you get to making higher hp, you may want to switch to the .63 later because it will flow more. but the spool will be slower, so. i think they came on the early early oil cooled 240t's. cut springs (as long as its a modest cut and you paint the cut end) should be ok, better than stock certainly. but if you can, i'd try to find some stiffer springs like GTs or diesels or overloads, and cut those.

tune kjet with a 4gas analyzer. you should be able to find a good ol' boy down your way who has one at his gas station. search for tips posted by stealthfti.

240 turbos go to GS...

i would go for DSP, the super soft spring rates and skinny wheels will get old quickly

240 turbos go to GS...

i would go for DSP, the super soft spring rates and skinny wheels will get old quickly

Thats what I thought. I was going to put my car in GS, but one of the main guys there told me HS. The book that he used didn't really give a class for 240 turbos...

I'll look up DSP, but I dont plan on running in it any time soon.

looking good. Get some real hose clamps on those fuel lines though. :nod:

Only the hoses before the pump need to be redone. I just put the zip ties on the hoses at the fuel cell 'just in case'. I cant even pull the hoses off, the barbs on the adapter/hose connecter (sorry Im super tired) are really sharp and keep the hoses on REALLY good.

All so true. Scorpius FTW.

Nice 242 BTW, that red sure is bright.

OK they're are like 3 240s at the jy with coronas/scorpius's/whatever, Im not sure what they are. They look like the 240 'classic' wheels, all are 14 in. How can I tell which ones they are? I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they are 6" wide... I dunno I'll think about picking them up.

Yeah, the paint isn't original, it's also not a very good paint job. I will get it painted one day, after everything else is worked out.

Back