• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cam For NA 945 - A or B?

mrnabisco

Wanting to swap a cam into my NA 94 945 auto.

I put an IPD VX in another automatic 945 I have and it seems OK. Can feel a difference, but not the same as running a manual tranny (where you can control the rpm more).

Thinking of an "A" cam or "B" cam for the other 945.

Anybody run either the "A" or "B" in a 940 automatic? Impressions?

Thanks for any input.

Get the A since you'll need it to have a slot, unless you're running the block mount distributer or coil packs. They're really so close that I doubt you'll know the difference other than on a dyno.

The B cam is just a bit better than the A cam on almost every area. I'd just go with the B cam if you can get one for a good price, and if your engine accepts it.

Thanks for all the responses.

Interesting about a "T" cam in an auto NA... I was mainly wondering about cam choice with the auto tranny, and trying to get good power/torque inside the auto RPM range.

Reed, how is climbing hills with the "A" cam?

I have come to like the auto tranny in ways, but what I find frustrating is going up hills and not really being able to match rpms and gear to get a good "pull". Uphill the auto tranny always seems to be in either too low or too high a gear. ??? With a strong motor (V15 or VX cam) and 5-speed I could climb hills much better.

And yes, you can go quick in Brooklyn. Maybe not 100mph easily. I've gone pretty quick more than once on the BQE. But I mostly use my brick to go on road trips out of NYC.

I do t cam advance 4* with cam gear on an autotragic. It's the only way to get smilepower from buttdyno.

I also like to pull treestumps on the 3.73 rear

With my A cam I have the ipd adjustable gear at 2.5 degs advanced. I’m running 208cc yellow injectors out of a 960. On 89 octane I’m making 90whp and 100wtq with afr 14.7 all the way across the rpm. I’m working on trying to richen my afr to 12.5-12.8. I’m also running the eBay 2.5 turbo exhaust welded to my stock na downpipe. 4.10 rear and Pegasus 17” wheels

If you send me a picture of the Regina control unit I may be able to tell you if it has had the factory software upgrade. If not it makes a huge difference in drivability. I can do the upgrade for you also.

If you send me a picture of the Regina control unit I may be able to tell you if it has had the factory software upgrade. If not it makes a huge difference in drivability. I can do the upgrade for you also.
I wish I'd known about your shop last year, I came down and camped at hickory knob state park for the eclipse. I would stopped by to shoot the breeze.

Put the t cam in a 245 wagon, na, auto. Would maintain 110km/hr up most hills with 4 passengers, I was impressed. That's it tho, not much point in revving it out or trying to go much faster...it got a m46 and a k cam shortly after.

Back