• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Main Pump Delete (Post Walbro!)

Hodginsa

youtube.com/seanhodgins
Although it has been talked about repeatedly and there are a couple pictures about it, I decided I would try to do an article on deleting the main pump. I'm posting it here first so I can see what people think, then maybe move it to the Article section. Please be nice this is my first one ever!

First things first, Start off by JBwelding anything necessary Just so that by the time is cured you will be able to install it. You will need to think of your own way to go from the larger hose coming from the tank to the fuel filter. I used a 1/2 hose to a joiner to a 5/16 same size as my hose. and I JBwelded everything just to be sure.
IMG_5054.jpg

This is not cut to length yet.
IMG_5055.jpg

Then I bought a new fuel filter and found out the fitting size for the end that would normally connect to the main fuel pump. This fitting connects to the other side of the 5/16 hose. I used some more JBweld to make sure it would not leak.
IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

Next remove the pump and filter assembly from underneath the car in front of the driver side rear tire. Take off the fuel lines and disconnect the wires to the pump. Take out the old fuel filter. Should end up with something looking like this (this pic is the worst)
IMG_5057.jpg

Next Figure out a way to remove the pump, because if its anything like mine its severely rusted into place. I ended up drilling out the bolt holding it on and the screw that tightens the piece of metal holding it in. This pic I had taken the pump and filter holder off of the cage piece so I could clean it.
IMG_5058.jpg

Once your JBweld has cured and you feel it will not leak, place the fuel filter back into its holding place and cut the line to a length you feel was where the original pump went to.
The orange tube in this picture is of some crappy silicone hose I had lying around, I just covered this one area of the fuel line just in case its going to rub on the metal, then zip tied it.
IMG_5060.jpg

When you are ready to install the cage back into place, first take the old wires under the car and cap off the ends then push them up back up into the car. Connect all fuel lines and hopefully your Walbro pump is still working!

Hope this helps someone!
and if its good, maybe a mod could move it into the article section?

suggestion

Try to use the original fittings on both sides of the fuel filter. That way you can change the fuel filter easily like before. The original plastic line has barbed fittings in it. You can see the barbs under the line on the short piece that joins the original pump to the filter. Cut away the plastic and you can use fuel injection line on the fitting with a good quality clamp.

Did they put anything on that chinese fuel filter to show flow direction?

How often are you changing fuel filters? Its not very often, in my case I went to a fittings place and they didn't have any banjo fittings that went to 5/16 hose but went in place of the original bolt, so I had to settle. How much is 2$(Price for the fitting you put in) on top of the price of a fuel filter..

And as for easily changing it, If you're doing it in your driveway, think about what you have to do now that the pumps removed, just take off the three cage bolts,banjo bolt, and pop off the hose. its skipping the whole process of having to take the other banjo bold out, so I would say its the same if not easier faster changing the fuel filter than if it was original.

And yeah... I bought a cheepo filter because it was the pump in my car that was messed up(my cars not running because of it) so I had to walk to the local parts place and just get one..anyone..
the flow direction is the same as an OEM filter as the fittings are different sizes so the filter can only go in one way.

I would say the only advantage is that the pump is restricting fuel flow because the Walbro is able to move more fuel than both of the pumps combined. This process should almost positively be done if you install a Walbro, I just decided to do a write up because every Walbro install article I've seen they just say something like "after its installed just get some fittings and some hose and put it in place of the main pump"(Im sure someone will correct me on this..)

Thanks for the good writeup and great pictures! Seeing the pieces all taken apart gives me the impetus I need to do my own Walbro install.

Thanks for the write-up, but teflon paste is just as leak-proof, and it is easy to get back apart later. It might even be more leak-proof, since it was designed for pipe threads.

I would say the only advantage is that the pump is restricting fuel flow because the Walbro is able to move more fuel than both of the pumps combined.

at 60+psi
the dual pump setup will outflow a walbro 255 as long as you upgrade the fuel lines from the big pump to the filter and from the filter to the rail

(i'm running 3/8" lines now)
stock metric is ~1/8"

How much did the high-pressure hose cost? It is rather expensive here (maybe because it is sourced through the TubesNhose people?), so I was wondering if there was a cheaper source.

How much did the high-pressure hose cost? It is rather expensive here (maybe because it is sourced through the TubesNhose people?), so I was wondering if there was a cheaper source.

I don't remember to be honest. I had a bunch of it awhile ago.. But I have a friend that works in a parts dep. of a store so I get random things sometimes lol

How did you acces the in-tank pump?
I cant find it in my 240 (i dont want to drop the fueltank). In my 940 there was a lil plate in the trunk that was held on with 4 screws, under that the big opening in the tank was.

I cant find it in my 240 (i dont want to drop the fueltank). In my 940 there was a lil plate in the trunk that was held on with 4 screws, under that the big opening in the tank was.

There should be an access panel in the trunk on the 'shelf' toward the back. If there isn't then you need to look real hard at your car and make sure it is in fact a Volvo.

same thing on a 240. should be a plate on the hump in the boot.

There should be an access panel in the trunk on the 'shelf' toward the back. If there isn't then you need to look real hard at your car and make sure it is in fact a Volvo.

I had a brain fart. In a 240 the fuel pump access panel will be under the back seat, not in the trunk as I said before.

edit: It seems that my brain is very gassy today (sleep dep.) I just checked one of my 240's and the aforementioned access panel is in fact in the trunk on the driver's side but it only has 2 screws and not 4 as the 7/9 series cars. I think. Its quite possible that I have no idea what I think I'm talking about. Its been a while since I've slept.

Last edited:
same thing on a 240. should be a plate on the hump in the boot.
I had a brain fart. In a 240 the fuel pump access panel will be under the back seat, not in the trunk as I said before.
edit: It seems that my brain is very gassy today (sleep dep.) I just checked one of my 240's and the aforementioned access panel is in fact in the trunk on the driver's side but it only has 2 screws and not 4 as the 7/9 series cars. I think. Its quite possible that I have no idea what I think I'm talking about. Its been a while since I've slept.
ok thanks! I'll look again! :nod:
I just cant find how to remove the floor of the cargo area... its a 245.

ok thanks! I'll look again! :nod:
I just cant find how to remove the floor of the cargo area... its a 245.

Okay, just checked one of the 245s and there's only one phillips head screw holding the floor down on the passenger side a few inches back from the hinge. Yours may have the same. The other 245s I got don't have the screw on top of the carpet like that one does, mabey its under the carpet. If you pull back the 'trunk' cover in the cargo area and look under it on the passenger side, there's a black bushing there and the screw goes through it. I hope that helps.

thanks

Okay, just checked one of the 245s and there's only one phillips head screw holding the floor down on the passenger side a few inches back from the hinge. Yours may have the same. The other 245s I got don't have the screw on top of the carpet like that one does, mabey its under the carpet. If you pull back the 'trunk' cover in the cargo area and look under it on the passenger side, there's a black bushing there and the screw goes through it. I hope that helps.

:rockon:

Yeah thanks again! its dark outside here, so i'll check it tomorrow.
I'm not upgrading to a Walbro but to a (in-tank) pump from a FWD turbo model, almost the same result (i only need the capacity for 250 hp or so), but much cheaper in my case.

Back