• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

531 vs 405

smithy

Is there any advantage in using a 351 head over a 405. the ports looks the same. The combustion chambers look a bit different. I haven't cc'd them to check if they are the same size. The reason i ask this question is that i have a 405 head but i have found a 531 that is cheap.
thanks

I don't know of any hard evidence, but the 531 is reputed to have a slightly more centered spark plug location. Also, most 405 heads are BCP, and the 531 should be a SCP head.

Other than that, really no difference to speak of.

Aren't the 405 heads setup for Kjet injector locations? I know the 531's are not. That would be the biggest difference i could think of.

from what i remember the 405 and 531 have very similar flow characteristics. I dont know if i would bother changing from one to another but if its cheap enough it might not be bad to get as a backup head.

-SCP vs BCP (all 531 = SCP, 405 could be either)
-spark plug location in the 531
-k-jet holes
-a need for head mounted dizzy? only 531 can accommodate
-b21/23 block or b230? t-belt cover backing plates differ, as do valve covers, but you can still mix and match heads to blocks.

Is there any advantage in using a 351 head over a 405. the ports looks the same. The combustion chambers look a bit different. I haven't cc'd them to check if they are the same size. The reason i ask this question is that i have a 405 head but i have found a 531 that is cheap.
thanks
grab the531 head and deshroud the valves, skim the head.5mm. you didnt say which 405 you have 78-82 or 90-93 mods ime guesing 78-82 witch is big/w/p and if its not seeping, ide leave it on until you decide to rebuild the engine. meanwhile seach for a penta block {2.5l} to go with your tweaked 531 head and a good m47 alloy box.

-SCP vs BCP (all 531 = SCP, 405 could be either)
-spark plug location in the 531
-k-jet holes
-a need for head mounted dizzy? only 531 can accommodate
-b21/23 block or b230? t-belt cover backing plates differ, as do valve covers, but you can still mix and match heads to blocks.
late 405 90-93 with blank k.jet ports run head dizy.

Pretty sure it came in euro cars, maybe australia got it too. My dad had a '90 (I think it was a '90) 740 that had a 405 head on it in the UK. May not have been stock, but it looked original. It had been on there a long time anyway, and it ran on LH 2.2 as well, the kjet ports were not drilled out. Theres some real mixing and matching and oddities in different markets..

Back