• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122 Engine Swap Ideas

Lazka

So I'm looking for a new engine to put into my 1966 122. I think the most likely choice at this point is a b230ft, but I'm wondering if there are other engines that bolt on fairly easily. I've heard there are a couple of vw engines that will work. Let me know what you've got. Thanks!

Not to be a total dick, but whatever you can fit under the hood and fab mounts for will work. There is no bolt-in engine swap.

Example:

blowndatsun.jpg

Again, not to be a complete dick, but if you ask this type of question it says that you dont have the experience to tackle such a project.

I remember a guy locally named Rory ( I think he moved back to Washington state), that built a 122 wagon with a 3.8 GM V6, with a jag rear end. That was a very nice car.

B20 fits perfectly. with tons of room. i have seen tons that have ford small blocks. then ofcourse theres the vox with the 24 vaule swap that is thee best 122 around.
if your gonna take the sewdish perfromace out nothing gonna fit correctly and modifactions with be have to be made.
now with an american engine its easy to soup up, but i personaly thing it looks dump when you see a 122 and pop the hood and it has a chevy engine.
but good luck, a 140 B20 worked for me

Hi, Lazka
I have an 89 b230ft in my 66 122. This car is not running yet. The engine is bolted to the m40 trans(which will probably blow up). This setup has oriented the engine straight up as opposed to the normal slant. I had to use an intake manifold from a b21ft and re position the brake line from the master due to interference. The vertical position of the engine also means I will have to modify the oil pump because I used a b20/b18 oil pan. I also had to fabricate engine mounts. The next problem is the intercooler. The stock volvo intercooler will not fit so you will have to cut the front of the car a bit then make mounts for the intercooler and different radiator.
This is how far I have gotten. I'm not trying to dicourage you, this is just what I have run in to so far. I plan on using LH2.2. Many of the solutions I have come up with for this project have been out of neccesity because I'm broke and don't want custom engine management.
As others have said, a b18/b20 fits and is a great motor. If I could start over, I would consider turbocharging the pushrod motor or buying the John Parker supercharger kit, but I don't have the 5,000 bucks to do it right.
The point is, even a motor that "bolts up" like the b230ft is alot of work, but that's kinda the point. If you get it in there, it will prolly be awesome and you can say you did it.
Good luck,
Dave

YOU ALL!

i had never done a engine swap (one that did not bolt in) in my life. Every one said oh no you need a shop n stuff. Well 4 moths later and countless hours of work and scratching head looking at possible work arounds, i got it in.

"If I could start over, I would consider turbocharging the pushrod motor or buying the John Parker supercharger kit..." (fatlobes writes)

If i could do my b230ft into the 145 again it would just be a b230 slanted.

you will think about what you could have done different but you will get gratitude from the work you did and many others when they go. " that don't belong in there"

Back