• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

shift linkage bushing on a 740 turbo at 1990 wagon

igiveup

I posted earlier about my car not moving. I put the front up on ramps enough to crawl under it. The shift linkage is loose but not gone or detached. All the bushings seem to be gone. How do I replace the bushings? Anyone in VA know where I can find the bushings? Once I replace the bushings will that tighten it up? Or is there something else I need to look at? It is so loose that it really wiggles bad and there is no way that it is telling the car anything to do. I need all the advice I can get, I really need my car back to working. My husband is no help on this matter, so step by step insturctions is best. Thanks so much for the advice from before and thanks in advance for any and all advice this time.
Thanks
Janet

Auto or manual??
Just replaced em on my 90 740T, a/t and they ran about $4each. The new ones are graphite impregnated instead of just plastic or nylon. Takes about 10 minutes to do all of em. Sure makes the shifter feel more solid.

Thanks for the advice. I had to order them from Omni parts in Roanoke VA. They will be here tomorrow. Cost me $6.00 to get 4 of them. Cheapest part for my car yet. I just hope this is my problem.
Thanks

I am getting my part from Omni Import Parts or Woods Auto Parts in Roanoke VA there address is 807 Hardy Road Vinton phone number is 540-982-6664. They can usually get what I need faster than the dealership and cheaper. When I had to replace the MAF Sensor Hose that also has a sensor in it they were a lot cheaper than the dealership and they usually order it for next day delivery.

shift linkage bushings 92 740t

hey guys i was trying to replace shift link bushing on my tranny .i cant seem to figure out how to install them . it seems as if they are to thick i took the linkage a part which is very easy but i cant see how a bushing can go on there ...help me please this rattling is driving me crazy.1992 740t volvo 320000 miles mint cond except for the noise lol.

did you put the bushings on between the washer and the c -clip?

Auto or manual??
Just replaced em on my 90 740T, a/t and they ran about $4each. The new ones are graphite impregnated instead of just plastic or nylon. Takes about 10 minutes to do all of em. Sure makes the shifter feel more solid.

did you put the bushings on between the washer and the c -clip?

<strike>This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. Just broke 2 bushings in a row and now i get to wait 2 weeks with a piece of **** shifter. ****ing bull****. Let them sit in hot water and lubed everything. Still won’t go in.</strike>
I’m having a somewhat difficult time installing these bushings. I accidentally broke some but I’m sure that if I am patient I will be able to get the next set in easily.

Last edited:
I like to warm those bushings before installing them, so put them in your pocket to warm them up to body temperature or if you are in a hurry, soak them in hot tap water to make them more pliable.

I like to warm those bushings before installing them, so put them in your pocket to warm them up to body temperature or if you are in a hurry, soak them in hot tap water to make them more pliable.

I put them in boiling water lol. Idk, maybe i could try a different way of installing them next time. I was using pliers to squeeze them into the linkage but I?m sure that?s not the best way. When it was partially in i tried to push in with a screwdriver and the screwdriver poked through the bushing. I let it cool a bit before using the screwdriver because obviously if it?s too soft it?ll poke through easier.

I got 1.5 bushings in as well as the single black bushing up top. It?s already infinitely better.

Aftermarket. I was told they would be okay. I was having difficulty spending $10 on a little piece of plastic.

I know the aftermarket ones will work since i got one in.

I know what you mean,that's why I asked,I have to do mine and was wondering if I should pay up for oem.its my first time doing them.

Back