• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'74 242 T6 Recreational Vehicle

Hey Funkee!

Love the project, I did the same swap into a Bertone' except I bought the engine from Capt Bondo (he was a regular on here back in the day) and it came with custom made RWD mounts.

He ditched the tiny twins and went HX35 just like you were considering. If you are looking for a "quick" car I'd stay twins as it takes a bit to get the Holset up to speed. I have actually complained to some friends about how laggy the Holset is and currently it's off the car and will be getting an upgraded impeller before going back on.

I also stretched the rear fenders a bit to fit 265/35R18s, I know I have a few pics of the process that I can dig out if need be, but it's fairly straight forward. We took a cut across the trunk floor and up and over the wheel arch. I think we took it the cut around to about the two o'clock position maybe even a little further (thinking of the right wheel well) and that may have been over kill but worked for us. We then put a port-a-power (not sure what you call it over there, it's a small hydraulic ram that has the jack connected by a hose) We placed the jack at about the 12 o'clock position and started to push against the fender lip and the body. We used the mounting tab as a data point and kept jacking until a 27mm socket slipped in there (~1.5" gap) and then used some perforated Aluminum and sheet metal screws to hold the gap open until we could weld in some steel. I wasn't able to weld the whole thing shut so some if was sealed up with fiberglass and then the whole thing was shot with undercoating and it's hard to tell it's not factory.

My favorite trick was how I got the gas door to stay shut properly...I tried tweaking the door to get it fit the body but there was still a gap at the top, so I grabbed a super magnet from my tool box and stuck it in the top left corner....TA-DA!

Good luck on your build and hope this helped a little! I'm hit or miss on here, if you like shoot me PM with your email and I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.

I live in Kontich, close to Antwerp

I have some friends in Antwerp and Mechelen so I've came by the anal triangle :)

Hey Funkee!

Love the project, I did the same swap into a Bertone' except I bought the engine from Capt Bondo (he was a regular on here back in the day) and it came with custom made RWD mounts.

He ditched the tiny twins and went HX35 just like you were considering. If you are looking for a "quick" car I'd stay twins as it takes a bit to get the Holset up to speed. I have actually complained to some friends about how laggy the Holset is and currently it's off the car and will be getting an upgraded impeller before going back on.

I also stretched the rear fenders a bit to fit 265/35R18s, I know I have a few pics of the process that I can dig out if need be, but it's fairly straight forward. We took a cut across the trunk floor and up and over the wheel arch. I think we took it the cut around to about the two o'clock position maybe even a little further (thinking of the right wheel well) and that may have been over kill but worked for us. We then put a port-a-power (not sure what you call it over there, it's a small hydraulic ram that has the jack connected by a hose) We placed the jack at about the 12 o'clock position and started to push against the fender lip and the body. We used the mounting tab as a data point and kept jacking until a 27mm socket slipped in there (~1.5" gap) and then used some perforated Aluminum and sheet metal screws to hold the gap open until we could weld in some steel. I wasn't able to weld the whole thing shut so some if was sealed up with fiberglass and then the whole thing was shot with undercoating and it's hard to tell it's not factory.

My favorite trick was how I got the gas door to stay shut properly...I tried tweaking the door to get it fit the body but there was still a gap at the top, so I grabbed a super magnet from my tool box and stuck it in the top left corner....TA-DA!

Good luck on your build and hope this helped a little! I'm hit or miss on here, if you like shoot me PM with your email and I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Thank you! Yes, a modified HX35 or modded tinies (turbo tuner I know says he can mod them to be good for up to 550 horse) would be the next stage if I wanted more.

I'm curious to seeing pics of the widened body though!

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/a/wpQXZ

So posting images is giving me fits and I need to get back to work, here is a link to imgur that shows the finished product.

I know I have a few pics of the process but I didn't upload them to botophucket it seems...let me charge my old phones and see if I can find them. I do remember specifically saying "wish i had taken more pics, after I shot it with undercoating you can barely tell anything happened..."

My brother is doing a similar swap in his 83 242 so this will be interesting to see them side by side.

Cool. What are his goals and what ECU is he going to use?

https://imgur.com/a/wpQXZ

So posting images is giving me fits and I need to get back to work, here is a link to imgur that shows the finished product.

I know I have a few pics of the process but I didn't upload them to botophucket it seems...let me charge my old phones and see if I can find them. I do remember specifically saying "wish i had taken more pics, after I shot it with undercoating you can barely tell anything happened..."

Looks subtle :cool:

Beautiful Bertone indeed,

I am starting T6 swap on my 760 IRS, have a complete S90 for parts 46k miles front end collision, 3-4 months away from now

Hey is there a Netherlands tbricks type meet ever? I'm going to be there in April next year and would like to see some of these cars (though, i guess most projects won't be on the road in the coming years lol). I'll be in neiw loosdrecht? I think thats the name

Hey is there a Netherlands tbricks type meet ever? I'm going to be there in April next year and would like to see some of these cars (though, i guess most projects won't be on the road in the coming years lol). I'll be in neiw loosdrecht? I think thats the name

I'm 1,5 hrs away from there but feel free to drop a msg when you're around for a visit :)

8 april there is the "elandrun" in holland.

http://www.volvo-elandrun.nl/

this year was fun, i definitely go next year again!

8 april there is the "elandrun" in holland.

http://www.volvo-elandrun.nl/

this year was fun, i definitely go next year again!

Crap I'm just going to miss it. We arrive on the 19th of April. Wedding in Cologne Germany the 21st. Then fly back may 2nd with a. Couple days in Iceland.

I randomly saw a Facebook post about an old Volvo museum/collection in nieu loosdrecht. So I will atleast tgo and see that!

I had the day off today so I decided to make some meters, as they say in Dutch.
Loaded it up the trailer, no problems. Pressure washed it. Off the trailer was different ballgame. Couldn't get it to start. I even got her some fresh gas..
So I put it in reverse and drove it off on the starter. Needless to say a couple of minutes later it started fine :-P

I wanted to set a new record for myself and pull the engine within one hour.
Took me 2. Spent 1,5 hour on the freezing concrete (lift was occupied) removing the trans support, speedo cable, clutch, exhaust and the seized driveshaft bolts..
After that it was 15 minutes of cutting every wire and hose and out she goes.

I put some 17" spares in the front and removes brake pads for easy moving.
While I was at it I removed everything that was removable, took out all wiring in the engine bay except wiper motor, removed the brake booster, old engine mounts etc.
As I measured it seems the T6 can be moved 4"/10cm back easily without the oil cooler/filter hitting the sway bar of steering rack.

Oh, I discovered a LOT of rust. I knew it was rusty, but there's a lot of it.
Luckily the bottom is covered in grease, so no completely rotted pans. Some rotted supports though, and 1 side of the floor, but nothing a welder can't fix.

That looks interesting!!

Good luck dude!

A few years ago i went back from the UK to Lithuania with my turbobrick and visited my friend in Rumst. Would have been a cool idea to meet up lol, but nevermind. I will go back at some time again soon and hopefully bring the 242 with me haha :)

Adam

Crap I'm just going to miss it. We arrive on the 19th of April. Wedding in Cologne Germany the 21st. Then fly back may 2nd with a. Couple days in Iceland.

I randomly saw a Facebook post about an old Volvo museum/collection in nieu loosdrecht. So I will atleast tgo and see that!
Volvo's arecool, but if you are in NL dont miss Kingsday... national party @ 27th of april.
Doesn't really matter which big city u visit, but Amsterdam is the most crowded.

Found some time to do a first test fit and did some measuring.

From the steering rack to the bulge (yeah..) on the oil pan there's about 11~12 cm of clearance.
I trimmed the 2 ridges where the battery cables normally go, so pushing the engine about 10 cm backwards would be possible.
The PRV or a custom (maybe E36) sway bar should clear the oil cooler.

The firewall would require some serious modification to make it all fit, new trans tunnel or widening it would be mandatory as well.

Last edited:
Back