• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 I want A/C, help me devise a game plan

See post above - over time desiccant won't absorb any more moisture, so it can't function as a "drier" any more. Sometimes makes a difference, sometimes not. Worst case is the system is non- funtioning with no charge and has been open to atmosphere, and things break up as mentioned above - then you really need a new one as part of fixing things. My SOP has always been - if I open the system, put a new one in. They're cheap.

See post above - over time desiccant won't absorb any more moisture, so it can't function as a "drier" any more. Sometimes makes a difference, sometimes not. Worst case is the system is non- funtioning with no charge and has been open to atmosphere, and things break up as mentioned above - then you really need a new one as part of fixing things. My SOP has always been - if I open the system, put a new one in. They're cheap.

I have one, I just really don't want to risk breaking another line. It works fine now so I'll just leave it alone.

I went with an aftermarket system when I did the engine swap. I don't know how to act with functioning a/c that will drive you out of the car on the low setting!

Just got it back and all of that work was worth it. Moving I can hit about 52deg on an 87deg day. Stopped or slow moving however is about useless, going to have to get a pusher fan on there ASAP. Problem that I'm seeing is that the 940 e-fan probably isn't going to pull much air thru the condenser with the space between it and the radiator. Going to be putting a pusher in front of the condenser that comes on with the compressor but will be able to wire it the same as above so no worries. Now I wish I hadn't thrown all of those pusher setups up in the past...

Thanks for all of the help on this, it really is great to have my first 240 with working a/c.

It's nice having a classic car with A/C...in the process of reviving my Wife's 244's A/C...compressor kicks on when jumped and sounds really good for not having been kicked on in 10+ years. Now for the expansion valve, receiver/drier and a pusher fan.

Hell, just looked at it again and it's worth trying the low-speed of the 940 e-fan that is already on there to come on with the a/c and see if it has a positive effect. I can wire that up in a few minutes and it's already in place..

JJones -- if the puller is capable of moving the air, you might try picking up some foam rubber window insulation (Home Depot, Lowe's) and closing off the gap between condenser and rad. Or relocating condenser flush up against the rad. That's how mine is, condenser flush on rad -- no extra fans needed. I'm seeing 36F air on an 88F day (likely 95-100F in the garage when charging/measuring). Granted, the system's are different -- but 52F air ain't gonna be much help come July/Aug once the car really heats up inside.

Last edited:
I did an evaporator today on a 95 Maxima. After the repair I only got 60 degree vent temps and high 50s while on the freeway. The drier was not done. High side pressures were barely at 150psi. I wanted higher.

I also did an A.C. recharge on a 1996 Astrovan and could only get it to 60 degrees. I was less than stoked. No new drier.

I also did a recharge on a 2001 ish Dodge truck after the customer did his own hose replacement and only got 60 degree vent temps.

All of this is by the beach in 70 degree weather. On a car less than 8 years or so old I expect 42 degrees at idle. I have achieved this many times after, say, a compressor clutch failure on a 2009 Civic.

The point is, once a system has been cracked open and dirt and moisture gets in, who knows how much oil is I the system, and a 10+ year old compressor, I feel lucky if I can get it down to the low 40's.

I am no doubt losing some potential by not having flushed out the system and no knowledge of the amount of oil in there. Problem is, I am 5 months into PA school, live in a cabin in the woods with minimal tools, and honestly just have very little time to put towards this. Plan is to get a fan setup working so that I have some function at a stop and make it thru the current summer. Maybe next summer during clinicals or possibly during my 2 week break in September, I can go about flushing it and finding this things full potential.

Thanks again Kenunot for the wiring guide, it was quick and easy using an old relay I had laying around. Low-speed of the 940 e-fan is now on with the a/c clutch and I have colder air at idle. Going to swing by Lowe's and pick up some insulation to force all the air being pulled by the fan to come thru the condensor, thanks for that idea M.H. Yount. Most of the air is being pulled thru it already but if I can seal up the gaps around the radiator, which looks quick and easy to do, then it should be even better. After that, I'm just going to have to call it good for the summer and make improvements next time I get a break.

Thanks everyone for following along, giving your suggestions, and for helping me get this thing working!

Back