• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b21... upgrade turbo?

Western MD, like farther west then Hagerstown haha. You in MD? I'll be sure to check out the thread, thanks!
And thanks olov, i'll check the threads out!

Nice, yea not that way too often. Hard to find any junk yard cars around here. pretty limited, so my options for finding a turbo are slim as well.

HELP! haha Looked under the hood this evening and now i'm really confused, the hot side looks to be old and rusty. Couldnt really see many indicators on it other then a number that looked like "48889".
However; the compressor side looked much newer and had "AiResearch" in raised lettering on it. The tag on the back said "Factory Overhauled Turbo" and "Garrett" it also had a M/N that was very difficult to read. I believe it said "T R0137 M00-10"

Any Ideas guys? Im pretty confused... Help!

I'll try to post up some pics later

Im starting to wonder if the turbo is really even a problem. I feel like it may be the crappy 2" straight pipe exhaust... The o2 sensor hole also has a bolt in it, could this effect anything? Thanks

The O2 sensor on my original -90 manifold (like yours) was in the exhaust manifold, underneath, not in the exhaust tubing itself.

So its looking like I now need to upgrade the manifold, turbo and dp/exhaust. Its not building boost well in 1st or 2nd gear. PO said the turbo was shot, but im beginning to wonder now that ive driven it more.

Ok guys its a Garrett T3, and now that its off I think the wastegate is the issue. You were right the 02 sensor is underneath and still intact, i guess the other hole was for wideband or something.
So the question is are there any simple bolt on upgrades for the t3? Also has anyone run a braided oil drain line for this turbo? Thanks

You will need a threaded end on the engine for the braided line. Stock is just a slip fit. There's a guy near me that welds on a fitting to oil pans then ship it to you. Can't remember his name on here.

The stock one I have is undamaged but the PO had put a literal mountain of some kind of gray silicone type sealant. So i'm guessing it leaks, any other way to correct this? Thanks

When you pull it all apart to replace the turbo, remove the oil drain pipe and clean everything thoroughly. Scuff the area of the drain tube that goes into the hole in the block with a scotch brite pad, apply a thin coat of silicone to the end of the drain tube upon reinstallation, let it dry, and you're golden. Make sure bothe surfaces are clean and dry upon reassembly. :)

Awesome, thanks for the info, any particular type of silicone? Also does anyone install a flex line of some sort in the place of the hard line? Thanks!

Back