• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Freiburger on the V8 (swapped) Volvo

I already tried contacting them about a LS swap I didn't get any response about it. I had a perfect donor 75 wagon I sure they are very busy. I went down to the ROADKILL ziptie drags in AZ with VOLVO? and they did a small photo shoot

Last edited:
For him it was kind of a big deal giving Volvo (and BMW) folks the ink he gave us as it shows an openness that was a bit of a stretch for him.

Dan

I'd imagine that's true. Having read the guy's columns for quite a number of years..... he's certainly all about American iron with V8s. HOTROD used to run stories back 5+ years ago entitled "Dare to be different"..... but not so much lately. When the current crop of baby boomers funding 6 digit show cars all die off, it will be a different landscape.

I come from a domestic muscle car and drag racing background, I've owned quite a few f-bodies and I had a '69 Chevelle featured with a 7 page spread in Popular Hotrodding back in 2007. That said, after buying my first Volvo in 2015, I developed an appreciation for them, which resulted in me buying a 1990 740 for my daily driver. I love the build quality and thoughtfulness in design of the old bricks, but I do miss having 350 rwhp at my disposal.
To me a Brick with an LS engine would be just about the perfect daily driver, and perhaps mine will end up with a GM power plant between the fenders some day.

Don't rule out the small block Ford. Lots of speed parts cheap and it fits REALLY well in the Volvo body. I'm really digging the one I'm building - 443 HP 347 Blueprint crate engine w/ World Class T5.

Dan

I think one of the main reasons some people want an LS over a SBF is that the LS is noticeably lighter, being aluminum and all :twocents:

You do have to pay for that lightness, but it is worth it to me.

Non aluminum engine swaps which people call "LS swaps" are not true LS swaps by designation, afaik. Just shared architecture.

Between a iron block and a aluminum block. The l33s are coming down a little in price

well it's a known vs unknown thing to a certain extent... when I went engine shoppin', the L33 I ended up with was only about ~$300 more than a comperable iron block motor, BUUUT it had gen 4 internals, was lighter, and had 799 heads. To me, that was well worth the modest difference in price, all other things being what they are.

Freiburger on roadkill extra says that he despised his wife's Volvo station wagon and she didn't want to get rid of it

Episode published on feb 25th '17 at around 5min

I really enjoyed Freiburger years ago at Car Craft. He was on a wagon lovefest at that time... Then he pissed off a sponsor in a column and he vanished for a little bit until Hot Rod picked him up.

Anyway I LOVE the Roadkill movement and it is a longtime coming after seeing the "hoodride" young guys running buckets of cr@p for years.

IMO the cheap LS engines and cheap turbos have sparked a new generation of "hot rodder" that doesn't want a played out 57 Bel Air or Chevelle SS. Even the rice import scene has changed dramatically in the last 5 years to more elegant and proper rides.

Many friends of mine are complete crossover buyers these days with euro/asian AND american muscle in the garage. It's fun :)

well it's a known vs unknown thing to a certain extent... when I went engine shoppin', the L33 I ended up with was only about ~$300 more than a comperable iron block motor, BUUUT it had gen 4 internals, was lighter, and had 799 heads. To me, that was well worth the modest difference in price, all other things being what they are.

I bought a running and driving van with a 4l80e and a gen 4 6.0 for 1500, sold the shell for 1500....

I think one of the main reasons some people want an LS over a SBF is that the LS is noticeably lighter, being aluminum and all :twocents:

You do have to pay for that lightness, but it is worth it to me.

Non aluminum engine swaps which people call "LS swaps" are not true LS swaps by designation, afaik. Just shared architecture.

The 347 comes with BluePrint's aluminum heads so the weight difference is significantly reduced (though I don't have numbers). I know my '88 Mustang convert w/96 5.8 L and Edelbrock aluminum heads handles WAY better than it did with the 5.0 and the 5.8 base engine is a LOT heavier than the 5.0 w/iron heads.

All I'm saying is that you can offset some of the weight difference with heads and I doubt the average guy could tell the difference, at least in daily driving. Not saying an all aluminum engine isn't a nice thing - I had a number of 215 aluminum Buicks (and one Olds) for a couple of Vegas I built.

Dan

Back