• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 1966 Volvo 122S

If you want some springs any time soon you won't go with V-Performance. I've got a buddy that has been waiting almost 2 years for an order from there...:roll:

depends on what you are 'ordering'. i got my springs in about a month.

ryan

I guess he's got some priority issues then. He ships a set of $150 springs in a month while an order of $2500, including cam, head, springs, T5 adapter and who knows what else, it takes him two years? And...6 months ago the customer was told it had been shipped when he knew it hadn't. In some, if not all, states, provinces and countries that's called telling an outright lie. :grrr:

That's not how you treat a customer, particularly an obviously good one. I don't encourage anyone to buy anything from him.

I personally never had any issues ordering from VPD, and always got my stuff quick (under a month) spending about $1000 with him... but definatley if he isn't delivering that is a problem to be concerned about.

i should have put the word "maybe" at the beginning of that first sentence :).

i've heard plenty of testimonials about John being slow, and it almost always happens when someone wants him to do some major head/engine work. at that point, it's sorta like, 'take a number'. maybe he has trouble telling people from the start that custom engine work is going to take a long time. seems like he just takes on more work than he should. i'm no business man, and i don't know how he runs his business; but it seems like a significant number of people get hacked off dealing with him, so something isn't right. it's unfortunate, 'cause he's a nice guy and, apparently, the work he produces is top-notch.

as for the springs: he has those made according to his specs. all he had to do was throw them in a box once he got the next shipment. i felt safe ordering them, knowing that i'ld get them in a reasonable amount of time. maybe i'm naive? or lucky? or maybe he appreciated my friendly nudges as opposed to the occasional angry letters he gets. who knows.

ryan

200.jpg

so why is this a banner on IPD guys?

i should have put the word "maybe" at the beginning of that first sentence :).

i've heard plenty of testimonials about John being slow, and it almost always happens when someone wants him to do some major head/engine work. at that point, it's sorta like, 'take a number'. maybe he has trouble telling people from the start that custom engine work is going to take a long time. seems like he just takes on more work than he should. i'm no business man, and i don't know how he runs his business; but it seems like a significant number of people get hacked off dealing with him, so something isn't right. it's unfortunate, 'cause he's a nice guy and, apparently, the work he produces is top-notch.

as for the springs: he has those made according to his specs. all he had to do was throw them in a box once he got the next shipment. i felt safe ordering them, knowing that i'ld get them in a reasonable amount of time. maybe i'm naive? or lucky? or maybe he appreciated my friendly nudges as opposed to the occasional angry letters he gets. who knows.

ryan

If you're serious about springs, there are several places on the net to get them by simply giving them the ID of the spring, the number of coils, spring rate etc. It's not rocket science and they actually ship parts. While several have got parts from VPD, I'm currently still waiting patiently (23 months and counting) for mine. I've had several phone conversations and have been promised shipping dates for almost the past year. You are welcome to pi$$ your money down any hole of your choosing.

Craig

can you direct me to any coil spring makers?

i have been calling V-performance for the T-5 adapter and some suspension parts
man do they suck- i can't believe they are the only ones available
and R-sport international are either too bust or don't want money because i have spoken with them on a few occasions and even emails and no help with pistons from them...

what gives with the Volvo community?

can you direct me to any coil spring makers?

i have been calling V-performance for the T-5 adapter and some suspension parts
man do they suck- i can't believe they are the only ones available
and R-sport international are either too bust or don't want money because i have spoken with them on a few occasions and even emails and no help with pistons from them...

what gives with the Volvo community?

Here you go - I've never bought from any of these suppliers, but they should get back to you:

http://www.eatonsprings.com/products.htm

http://www.chamberlainspring.com/whatweoffer.html

Not all Volvo suppliers suck - I've only had bad experiences with VPD.

Craig

Good question. I hope they're using it with the owner's permission. That car has absolutely nothing to do with IPD. I'd be willing to bet there isn't one IPD sourced part on it...

yea, i hope they have permission.. hahaha it'll suck to see that lawsuit against ipd..

hello.................

i ve been away from here for quite some time now! I lost my job awhile ago, and have been struggling to find some good work still. I should probably start posting some of the little stuff I've done and pictures.

SO let's see what I can tell you guys right now and I'll post pictures when I get up tomorrow morning:

1.The car ran/runs really well. Changed the oil and filter, going to change the oil every one or two weeks for 3 oil changes to get all the poop out of the motor.

2. The guy that owned the car before me, swapped from the generator over to an alternator; he made a new alt. bracket for the car but still didn't make it properly to align it with the rest of the pulleys, we extended that, in the process of putting the alternator back on, one of the mounts on the alt. actually broke the f#ck off, good news(sarcasm) is that the specific alt. for the car that replaces the generator is not made new anymore only remanufacture, so if I want the same kind of alt. the reman's are like $90 to $115, bummer. Pulled the alt. off the extra B230FT sitting in the garage to see, and it's so damn big it won't even fit in there. (that and I think it spins the opposite direction?)
OH, and the bracket that this guy made, he made it longer(away from the block), so the top of the alt. pretty much sits on the header(with the stock length belt), so I'm going to end using a alt. belt from a B230FT and extend the top bracket.

3. Sorry guys, I cut the exhaust off, for now...

4. Replaced all the rearend rubber(which looks brand new, keeping all of it), with Polys; still have to do the frontend with the other polys I have.

5. Replaced the front pads with Semi-Metallics; still have to do the brake system

6. Someone chimed in a long time ago now about one of the pictures I had showing that my E-brakes line were in the wrong spot going through the rear suspension:
You were right, they were in the wrong spot, I fixed it.
On the same note about the E-brake, I pulled it acouple times (but also changed the front pads) and now the rearend seems to be locked up. Front wheels spin fine, its not in gear, so its got to be that the E-brake is stuck on right?(even though the handle is down).

7. So happy to find out that I have 5 x114.3 not 5 x 108 lug patterns! Opens up a lot of possibilities for nice wheel choices

8. Hell I dont know. its 11:40pm, im at work til 4am. i'll finish this tomorrow.

OH AND I dont how but can moderators clean up my thread? I dont need all the IPD pictures and BS side talk about it on here. please please please? thanks. and maybe move this thread to project/restoration?

Last edited:
Just found this thread, youve got a hell of a project...but thats a good find, its cleaner underneath that nost 240's out there, and with less rust! Have fun

Mark

hello.................
2. The guy that owned the car before me, swapped from the generator over to an alternator; he made a new alt. bracket for the car but still didn't make it properly to align it with the rest of the pulleys, we extended that, in the process of putting the alternator back on, one of the mounts on the alt. actually broke the f#ck off, good news(sarcasm) is that the specific alt. for the car that replaces the generator is not made new anymore only remanufacture, so if I want the same kind of alt. the reman's are like $90 to $115, bummer. Pulled the alt. off the extra B230FT sitting in the garage to see, and it's so damn big it won't even fit in there. (that and I think it spins the opposite direction?)
OH, and the bracket that this guy made, he made it longer(away from the block), so the top of the alt. pretty much sits on the header(with the stock length belt), so I'm going to end using a alt. belt from a B230FT and extend the top bracket.

Didn't I set a generator amongst all the spare parts you posted pictures of? Throw it back on and see what happens. I'm running an original style (rebuilt) generator on my P1800 with no problems. Another alternative would be to convert to the AC-Delco one-wire alternator. You could make your own bracket setup, or purchase one from: http://www.sw-em.com/index.php

Didn't I set a generator amongst all the spare parts you posted pictures of? Throw it back on and see what happens. I'm running an original style (rebuilt) generator on my P1800 with no problems. Another alternative would be to convert to the AC-Delco one-wire alternator. You could make your own bracket setup, or purchase one from: http://www.sw-em.com/index.php

hm

Last edited:
Back