home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
monkecmonkedo
Old Volvos are slow

Default High speed data logging fun

For kicks and grins I used a Labjack U6, which is capable of 50kHz data streaming, to see what's going on with my car during WOT runs. I figured I'd start with the AMM and got the following results for my 016. For the record, the car is a '92 245+T AW70 running pretty much stock except a 15g @15psi and a 954 ECU with Mike's chip (EZK chip too).

This is a 0 to ~80mph run collecting data at 2kHz (20 data points per crank rotation at 6000 rpm). At first glance, I thought all the "noise" was due to using unshielded wires, but no... you can actually see the air moving into each cylinder (pics 2 [idle] and 3 [WOT])! While I didn't measure RPM directly, I used the peak and valley of each intake pulse to calculate engine RPMs in pic 1. The response time of the hot wire in the AMM is pretty amazing. I assume that the ECU sees only the maximum of this signal, since I seem to be maxing out my AMM at ~3500 rpm (my AFRs peg at 10 and I've got no boost leaks).

Once I get my 012 AMM installed I should be able to calculate VE using the intake volume for each pulse (the area under the curve) plus the AMM transfer function.

I think there's lots of interesting things to note about this high speed data and I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

1975 164E
1972 P1800E Chassis number 39412 (Doesn't exist according to Volvo)
monkecmonkedo is offline   Reply With Quote