home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
tiberium6
Board Member

Location: Southern California: I could be in Los Angeles, Tustin, or Huntington Beach
Default Cali Catalytic vs non-Cali

if I use a non-Cali cat for a Cali smog test, it will not pass visually? or it will not pass because the read out from the machine?
any good place to get a CAT for my 93 miata? they are all around $300 for Cali, but non-Cali is around $100

thank you guys, as long as I know it will pass the emission test, I am safe, when i go smog, almost all the time the tech will only have a quick peak

**PM me if you are from out of state to help me ship this! (or know anyone that does!)

Last edited by tiberium6; 05-07-2012 at 11:12 PM..
tiberium6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Don't believe they're worrying about it for non-OBD2 cars, not 100% sure on that though.

The OBD2 stuff won't pass on a visual, but it'll pass the sniffer just fine.

You try Summit/Jegs yet, based on a part number?
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti, AW71L, IPD bars/springs, Koni SA's, JVAB B230FT, IPD Turbo cam, GT2871R @ 18psi, TLAO chips, E85, NPR, 3.5" DP, 3" DP-back, MSD, TruTrac, Wilwood BBK

If you need Superpro bushings PM me or check the current GB, running until 10/3/14 at
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=4988279
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Falconxl

Any cat , regardless of year, sold for use in California requires a CARB EO number. Retailers can be penalized for selling/shipping non approved cats to California.

Without that number on the cat you can be failed for smog if the guy testing actually checks it, most likely to happen if you get ref'd, the number is stamped into the bottom of the cat so it can be seen from below.
Falconxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconxl View Post
Any cat , regardless of year, sold for use in California requires a CARB EO number. Retailers can be penalized for selling/shipping non approved cats to California.

Without that number on the cat you can be failed for smog if the guy testing actually checks it, most likely to happen if you get ref'd, the number is stamped into the bottom of the cat so it can be seen from below.
This.

Although, since this law is still fairly young, how could the tech prove that the cat wasn't replaced before the law came into effect?

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S @ 18 psi | Close ratio T10 trans | 3.31 8.8" rear end
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
thebornotaku
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconxl View Post

this.

i got away with it because my car was from out of state (even though I put the universal on after it had been in CA for 2yrs+), though I think my cat might have a CARB number anyway. I forget though.

Anywho, either come up with a story about it being replaced before the law, or just spend the extra money to buy a proper CA cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwheeler View Post
That can be arranged, she had me hold the camera last time. Go Pro penis mount would probably sell well if it werent offensive to some squares
thebornotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
urbanwheeler
Board Member

Or keep a cat on the side of the house that's from before the law and looks hosed enough on the outside to pass visual

1988 Ford F250 7.3idi, 4wd, ZF5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaDC View Post
critical mass is just a bunch of dickwaving hipster bike-douches on roadies being hipster bike-douches.
urbanwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Justin
Lamentable Ricer

Is this it or is this the oe #
Your = possessive. Your grammar skills make us cry.
You're = contraction (you are).
There = noun (place).
They're = contraction (they are).
FeedBack
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
122power
dude

EO numbers dont make cars cleaner, just puts money in certain pockets...

But you could get the non cali cat and should pass but its a gamble when you go to get it smogged, IF the guy looks. Are shops allowed or care about putting Non Carb cats into cars nowdays or are they banned to do that now?
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
ziddey
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
This.

Although, since this law is still fairly young, how could the tech prove that the cat wasn't replaced before the law came into effect?
This.

Is your cat still stock?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ic%20Converter

You could get that shipped to someone out of state and have them mail it to you. It's what I always did when I was in CA. It will pass visual just fine. Most smog shops will poke their head under there to see that the cat exists. They won't check the carb number. As gross polluter said, how would they know the cat wasn't on there since before the new law went into effect a few years ago?

If you're able to weld / know a welder that can do cheap work, you're fine, even if you have to weld a CARB approved cat. Magnaflow sells CARB cats for like $60. Not exactly the best in the world and who knows how longevity is, but assuming you're in good tune, it shouldn't get poisoned too quickly.

I got "robbed" once in Berkeley, where I needed a cat welded on. $60 in parts (carb approved magnaflow), $240 labor, and 10 minutes to be in and out. Damn! Then again, I got other quotes from places in the area, and they ranged from $500-700 to weld one on. Are you kidding me?

After the fact, I heard of a place in Sac that may have done the same job for $60 labor (assuming using word of mouth for a referral worked there). Although I did goto that place to get a muffler welded on for $20 (****ty ass job though).

The perks of going with an OEM style is that you can bolt up your old one between tests if you're worried about poisoning it. That way, you'll always pass year after year
ziddey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Just run an out of state cat it'll be fine. If you're really worried go get it dirty first. All the ones that used to be CA approved are grandfathered in, I've never seen them go so far as to check the numbers on the cat. I don't think their system has any way of actually doing that.
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo Ecodes, Springs, 16t, 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
tiberium6
Board Member

Location: Southern California: I could be in Los Angeles, Tustin, or Huntington Beach

thank you guys, as long as I know it will pass the emission test, I am safe, when i go smog, almost all the time the tech will only have a quick peak

**PM me if you are from out of state to help me ship this! (or know anyone that does!)
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
andysbeta
thrsh

Basically the souls and ghosts of 1940's Germany will be contained into each and every one of California version of catalytic converter. That is about it.
andysbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
tiberium6
Board Member

I would like to think the Cali CAT runs cleaner to meet more stringent emission requirement?? after all, "better" CAT should cost more money?.......
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Justin
Lamentable Ricer

Meeeeooowww
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
andysbeta
thrsh

The California "cat" is the same thing - it just gets a stamp on it and a 100% markup in price. Same ****. No difference. 2 year lifespan just like before.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
ZVOLV
"YOU'RE" is a word.

I have a brand new non CA cat for sale for $30 if anybody needs it. 2.5".
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I have a brand new non CA cat for sale for $30 if anybody needs it. 2.5".
You have a PM
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
jerryc
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbeta View Post
The California "cat" is the same thing - it just gets a stamp on it and a 100% markup in price. Same ****. No difference. 2 year lifespan just like before.
I believe that's inaccurate, that too many were failing too soon so CA made them make longer lasting ones, which cost more.

The sailboat.

The 'motorboat'.

Think it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguels244 View Post
Here's what Aristotle would ask...
How would decreasing the power of the Federal government increase individuals ability to buy things that the elite own, make money from, and are not for sale.

So, what is your answer.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
I believe that's inaccurate, that too many were failing too soon so CA made them make longer lasting ones, which cost more.
If you notice, only certain companies making these CA versions, I'm sure the quality is way better than a $50 universal made in some unknown place.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
andysbeta
thrsh

Well I guess the only to verify that is to buy two of the same catalytic converters from the same company, one "federal" version and one "nazi uber cali alles version". test each one for emissions then cut each one apart respectively and measure platinum content and then we'll get down to the bottom of this.

I'm highly skeptical though, knowing the state of California and the BAR are so corrupt it is just another way to extra more taxable revenue from the hapless motorists.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
vvpete
Board Member

Quote:
Well I guess the only to verify that is to buy two of the same catalytic converters from the same company, one "federal" version and one "nazi uber cali alles version". test each one for emissions then cut each one apart respectively and measure platinum content and then we'll get down to the bottom of this.

I'm highly skeptical though, knowing the state of California and the BAR are so corrupt it is just another way to extra more taxable revenue from the hapless motorists.
Just an FYI, a stock Volvo cat will pass CA emissions insp. Those are an all-metal, probably rhodium/platinum core, not the ceramic honeycomb like many aftermarket casts are.

The Magneflow, Walker, Catco etc are all made of the same creamic honeycomb material, and are not the metal core rhodium/platinum like the OEM. Even the 'all metal' Magneflow are not the same as OEM. The honeycomb material does have metallic particles in it which scavenge the exhaust gases like metal core OEM, but there's a lot less metal in them than OEM, hence the price diffference.
I callled Magneflow about it (I put in an expensive 'metal' core Magneflow in only a few months ago) and those are not CA approved either, only the old school solid metal perforated film one's are approved, which have lots of the precious metals in them. That's all they have in them. You can get big$$'s for an old one from recyclers, so don't throw away the bad cat.
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:

Yea, but do you really think a made in china $50 ebay universal unit is going to perform same as or better than the CA version? or even the non-CA version.

The no-name brand cats is what I am sure brought this up.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
smokeyfan1000
Just Shootin' The Breeze

Location: NC.... Home of the Out of Control Sheriff's Dept Gestapo & Pistol Happy Burlington Police Officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Yea, but do you really think a made in china $50 ebay universal unit is going to perform same as or better than the CA version? or even the non-CA version.

The no-name brand cats is what I am sure brought this up.
FWIW, only two or three companies make all the aftermarket cats from what I understand. Correct speced cat should do same job on emissions, just won't last as long probably. Most aftermarket cats are gauranteed for 50,000 miles. IIRC.

AMERICAN BY BIRTH , REBEL BY CHOICE , AND SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you
Matthew 7:6
smokeyfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
FWIW, only two or three companies make all the aftermarket cats from what I understand. Correct speced cat should do same job on emissions, just won't last as long probably. Most aftermarket cats are gauranteed for 50,000 miles. IIRC.
BS.....

go to eBay, you can buy brand new universal units for as low as $35...

they may look like a converter on the outside and have a honeycomb structure inside, but no f'n way they are going to have the same substrates/coatings to "convert"
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
122power
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
If a car passes, it passes. They have already lowered the number limits twice. Why would they care if YOU the consumer would have to buy a new cat because it didnt last long, EVEN if it passed. Its your money right? But they want you to buy the BETTER one cause it lasts longer with tigher numbers. Word I got was that they want to look at smog records now when a car passes and doesn't pass. So if it passed at one point and not the next well they want to dig into it and find out why a repair didnt last so long, or IF the smog guy passed it with unusual methods ill say. In short they want repairs on cars to last longer but if it passes why does that matter even if its close? I checked the BAR website and now they no longer list the place where a car was smogged because you might go back to that place to get it to pass if it fails when you take it somewhere else, GIVE ME A BREAK! Pretty soon they'll be crawiling up my ass saying I fart too much!
Oh yeah the better one costs more because they are looking out for my well being, yeah right.
122power is offline   Reply With Quote