home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
luchy72v

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchy72v View Post
On wednesday I might attempt to drive all the way to work (35 highway miles) and see how it goes.
DAY ONE: 70 miles round-trip today, without a stall. I am not getting excited about only one day's results but have a couple more days commuting before weekend wrenching-time.

Looking forward to the bypass pigtail documentation; this or the "blank tab redirect" sound like great options to me....
luchy72v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
petebee
Board Member

Well I did the bypass jumper for fuse 6 (including a 15 amp blade style in line fuse) and car will run but is still stalling occasionally in reverse - especially with a quick stab of throttle.

I checked the ECU and it is the 951 version.

Seems like it is worse once car is warmed up and restarted within a few minutes. I can hear it starving for fuel (extended cranking before it fires), then it goes into low speed stall mode. Keep throttle up and it won't stall, only during slow speed maneuvers (turns, reverse, etc.).

Dying fuel pump maybe?
petebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #28
luchy72v

yesterday I gave my fuse contacts a more thorough scrubbing, got fuses with brass ends, etc
so far so good
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
luchy72v

I eventually found a poor connection at the fuse box. After pulling it out I discovered a loose cobbled-together jumper cable linking the #4 fuse (fuel pump) and the #3 fuse (heater fan). A yel/red wire that should have occupied the jumpered lug was just hanging loose.

I tightened & resecured the jumper cable and now the car is running as it should without stalling. However I can't help but wonder why someone did this in the first place and what it's a workaround for?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
DoubleBit
Board Member

Congratulations!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
luchy72v

to clarify: I tightened up the as-is workaround jumper (and put some electrical tape over the end of the hanging yel/red wire). I would love to hear if anyone has any ideas why this workaround might have been put there in the first place...or if I should try to restore the original wiring configuration....
Old 11-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Without looking at a wiring diagram, it sounds like they jumpered the fuel pump to a switched 12V power source, thus bypassing the fuel pump relay and the ECU that needs to trigger it. The early failure prone ECU's often failed to trigger the fuel pump relay properly (among other things, I think).

The only real danger with this is in case of a crash, the fuel lines could split, and the key could remain on, and it could pump fuel into a possible fire. The ECU kills the fuel pump if it senses the engine isn't running any more.

So it's probably a work-around for either a fuel pump relay or flaky ECU.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #33
MrBill
fige=500Dollar Mistake

so what JohnMc is saying, the only real danger is death
1978 244dl - Down for paint/16vt
93 245 - Kaplhenke Shortened coilovers with adjustable Koni Reds, adjustable rear spring perches with revalved bilstein S-10 shocks. Turbo 2.5 motor in the works.
10 v50 - Unobtainium T5 R-Design AWD M66
MrBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #34
t-5battlewagon
Board Member

my 1985 is doing this very thing. I can jump the relay however, and it still will not run even though I hear the pump kicking in. could this be due to having that stupid fuse behind the battery?