home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #1
Johnnysalt
Board Member

Default 240 with soaked carpets

My 89 volvo 244 is turning out to be quite a handful. After dealing with numerous other issues, and blowing a brand new tire on the freeway two days ago, I noticed my carpets are sopping wet with water on the driver side, front and back seats. I'm in Oregon and we've had maybe one day without rain in the past month, so mold seems pretty likely. When I first noticed it, the carpet in the rear looked like it had water underneath and I could hear it sloshing around when I smacked it. The carpet in the front, near the pedals, is bone dry. Closer to the seat they get very wet, maybe because I park on a hill most of the time? No water on the fuses.

My girlfriend kept telling me the car smelled like a giant fart. Now I know why. What the hell do I do?
Johnnysalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Pull the interior, rip out the foam pads, pull the body plugs in the back, and clean the carpets at the laundromat.

Then find and fix the leak before you put the carpets back in.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
CakeOD
Board Member

Take it to a glass shop and have them check the windshield. I'm having a similar issue (only my driver's side carpet is wet though) and the auto glass shop determined my windshield was leaky.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Johnnysalt
Board Member

where are the body plugs. how can i find them? using soapy water and compressed air on the windshield. I got underneath the driverside carpet, removed the foam pad. I saw a lot of leaves under there too. And also a shoehorn. random.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Johnnysalt
Board Member

Ok I found Body plugs in the front, but not the back. cleaned out lots of leaves, All the while there are gusts of winds blowing shingles at me. This is an insane nightmare. Also noticed the tire that I just had replaced two days ago is going flat. The old one blew out. WTF! Is this what volvo ownership is???!!!!

sorry for double posting.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Johnnysalt
Board Member

FOUND IT! The place in the engine compartment where the hood release cable comes out was flooded with water. There was a piece of yellow plastic debris in the drain right next to it. Water was pooling and submerging the hood release cable, which leaked into the cabin. Now i need to seal it! I don't know how to do anything, help! Whats the quickest easiest dumbass proof way to fix this besides taking it to someone who knows how? Can I stick some sealant in there and call it good? I've got some DAP foam sealant spray, good idea? need input. Super happy just to finally have an answer that isn't "your floor is rusted out".

Sorry for triple post!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
the_doctorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysalt View Post
FOUND IT! The place in the engine compartment where the hood release cable comes out was flooded with water. There was a piece of yellow plastic debris in the drain right next to it. Water was pooling and submerging the hood release cable, which leaked into the cabin. Now i need to seal it! I don't know how to do anything, help! Whats the quickest easiest dumbass proof way to fix this besides taking it to someone who knows how? Can I stick some sealant in there and call it good? I've got some DAP foam sealant spray, good idea? need input. Super happy just to finally have an answer that isn't "your floor is rusted out".

Sorry for triple post!
I would use a silcone based sealer (caulk) to seal the area around the hood release cable where it exits the firewall. Most autoparts stores (Canadian Tire here in Canada) carry this type of stuff. Be sure to use something that's rated for outdoor use.
But before you do that be sure to fix the draining issue, otherwise water will find another way into the cabin....
Good luck!
the_doctorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
smokeyfan1000

use a polyurethane sealant. Some types of silicone sealants will/can rust sheetmetal

One five dollar tube of NP-3 is the best to use IMHO. This is the toughest, longest lasting caulk I ever used. it is a polyurethane caulk & is used in the Glass business to seal the frames to metal/ brick/wood/whatever. At 20 years old it still seals & holds.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...thane+caulking

just my 2 cents......
Old 12-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Mr. V
Board Member

I had to seal some leaks in the passenger compartment, and went to a local auto body supply shop and bought the product they recommend: SEM Seam Sealer.

Inexpensive, and the right product for the job.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote