home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Default '89 244 - From Low Car To Go Car.

Current mods:

Engine
Factory bottom end
Refinished 530 turbo head
RSI Stage 2 Turbo Cam
eBay t3/t4 ".57 trim"
Stainless 3" exhaust
eBay intercooler kit
42lb injectors
3" 012 MAF

Drivetrain
T5 trans swap with JohnV flywheel and clutch
TH400 coming soon!

Suspension
Kaplhenke Hybrid Torque Rods
25/25 Sways

I picked the car up from Ohio in November of 2014 with 108k miles on the clock. It had cut IPD springs and some terrible steel trailer wheels.

So I opted for some Kaplhenke suspension goods, and installed the factory wheels again. Got the car to stage 0

Decided I was far too fancy for steel wheels and refinished a set of RS for the car, and swapped in an M46 with a bum overdrive to rid myself of the autotragic.

After a few months I got tired of beating the subframe to death and consequently returned the car to factory trim.

This weekend, however, I got a wild hair up my ass. Dragged the engine out in prep for turbo, a T5 swap, and some good cleaning.

Will retain a factory shortblock for now since everything looked and functioned very well. Turbo is an eBay t3/t4 .50 trim, fresh turbo head, unknown camshaft, DeeWorks T5 adapter, Billet flywheel and clutch setup from JohnV, and chips from TLAO. Should wake the car up quite a bit hopefully. Will be ordering all the suspension goods shortly, but for now I just hope to get it done for a car show on the 15th.

'90 245 Daily

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.

Last edited by TurboDenny; 10-08-2017 at 09:22 PM..
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
The Plague
Professional Creeper

I would love those trailer wheels on an older less shiny car. Love what you've done so far. Looking forward to seeing you kick this car's ass.
The Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
Chaseb124
Board Member

Very nice to see you on Tbricks, I follow you on IG and love your car, excited to see the motor stuff start to happen! hopefully if I ever make it back to Indiana(home) in my Volvo I could see yours! Also where were the pictures taken with the corn fields? obviously most of Indiana is like that but still curious to as what town!
Chaseb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #4
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseb124 View Post
Very nice to see you on Tbricks, I follow you on IG and love your car, excited to see the motor stuff start to happen! hopefully if I ever make it back to Indiana(home) in my Volvo I could see yours! Also where were the pictures taken with the corn fields? obviously most of Indiana is like that but still curious to as what town!
Thanks man! Definitely if you ever make it back around here we can meet up. All of the photos were taken in Mooresville, where I reside.

Got the engine and trans back in the car tonight. Will modify the crossmember and driveshaft tomorrow hopefully. I still need to adjust the valves, and figure out an exhaust. Only 1 week till show time!

Little wash before disassembly.

Re-sealed the entire long block, and had the head refinished.

1/2" NPT oil return

Ran into a small issue getting the plug out of the block for the turbo oil feed. Couldn't drill this well again if my life depended on it, but got it out without issue.

All ready to go back in. I didn't paint anything. I cleaned everything well, and enjoy the 28 years of patina.

JVAB billet flywheel & Kennedy 228mm stage 2 clutch. Sad something so pretty resides in a bellhousing.

Stabbed the tranny and all is well!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:27 AM   #5
Chaseb124
Board Member

Lookin good! I'm originally from Elkhart if you know where that is, ill be back out there this summer, motor and everything is looking great! I'm jealous of that trans, but I ran into the same issue with the oil feed, that little plug was nerve racking i stripped the alen side and had to extract it out, needless to say i was worried but it came out fine after that!
Chaseb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:31 AM   #6
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Neat

Herr Harlard am Erstens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laced713 View Post
but volvo does not use a head gasket on this engine they use an anaerobic sealant applied very thin. I'm pretty sure OEM parts are mostly forged internals in volvo's and cast block. The fact your trying to poke fun at me saying it doesn't have a head gasket, when it doesn't, makes me wonder why your even here.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #7
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Awesome to see another local build! Look forward to following along! Doing the same swap in my 122.

Thanks,
HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
mopar318
Board Member

Looks great. I am in the area too. Just finished a b230ft swap in my daily and almost done with the b230 +16vt on my 242. Can't wait for summer!

1989 244 b230ft with pLAID recaros
1980 242 16 valve turbo
2007 V70R

mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
mikezohsix
Board Member

[QUOTE=TurboDenny;5590812]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/SozgCD]

JVAB billet flywheel & Kennedy 228mm stage 2 clutch. Sad something so pretty resides in a bellhousing.

What is the purpose of those standoffs for the clutch?
Isn't there a deeper pressure plate that could do the job?

I'm sure the bolts are good quality, and everything is balanced as an assembly and all that, but all the torque of the engine is going to try to tip all those columns over.

(yes I know that when the clutch is engaged the assembly as a whole transmits the torque, but within the assembly, the loads have to be shared)

I'm not picking on what you picked, but I suggest you really think twice about what you have, and consider replacing the columns with a machined ring.

See post #451 in this thread for what I'm talking about and a more "traditional" clutch assembly.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...290558&page=19
- it's a driving car now with a 350hp all aluminum LS1 with T56 six speed manual transmission, and it hauls ass! Check the for sale section if you're interested in the car - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=235015.
mikezohsix@yahoo.com
mikezohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezohsix View Post

What is the purpose of those standoffs for the clutch?
Isn't there a deeper pressure plate that could do the job?

I'm sure the bolts are good quality, and everything is balanced as an assembly and all that, but all the torque of the engine is going to try to tip all those columns over.

(yes I know that when the clutch is engaged the assembly as a whole transmits the torque, but within the assembly, the loads have to be shared)

I'm not picking on what you picked, but I suggest you really think twice about what you have, and consider replacing the columns with a machined ring.

See post #451 in this thread for what I'm talking about and a more "traditional" clutch assembly.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...290558&page=19
If that much lateral force was present wouldn't you be more concerned about the bolts shearing? I know it's a drastic comparison, but top fuel clutches are assembled in a similar manner. Not saying you're wrong, I'm no engineer, but I trust John wouldn't be selling clutches with such a blatant design flaw.

Feel free to hit me with some knowledge.

Last edited by TurboDenny; 04-18-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #11
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUB View Post
Awesome to see another local build! Look forward to following along! Doing the same swap in my 122.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar318 View Post
Looks great. I am in the area too. Just finished a b230ft swap in my daily and almost done with the b230 +16vt on my 242. Can't wait for summer!
So many Hoosiers appear! Hopefully I'll see you around sometime at a meet or something. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
Old Iron
I Roll

Looks like a fun build!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #13
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Well, it runs! kind of... Doesn't want to idle unless I unplug the MAF. Hopefully it's not faulty. Any ideas on things to check? Has good vacuum when it does idle.

On the bright side I picked up a couple sets of wheels for it. Will upload some pics later on.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:57 PM   #14
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDenny View Post
Well, it runs! kind of... Doesn't want to idle unless I unplug the MAF. Hopefully it's not faulty. Any ideas on things to check? Has good vacuum when it does idle.
Mine did the same thing, just change the MAF and be down the road. Odds are it's bad if the car runs when it's unplugged.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #15
mopar318
Board Member

Did you extend the MAF wires?
Old 05-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar318 View Post
Did you extend the MAF wires?
Didn't extend the MAF wires, just pulled everything through the harness. Hopefully the MAF isn't bad. It's an 012, so not cheap or easy to find.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
mopar318
Board Member

Quote:
Didn't extend the MAF wires, just pulled everything through the harness. Hopefully the MAF isn't bad. It's an 012, so not cheap or easy to find.
I think I have 2 extra

Edit: sorry I have the -016 mafs
Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
mopar318
Board Member

I had the exact same issue. I never did find out what the problem was. I did a b230ft swap with the computers and all and it runs fine now. Same MAF as before as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #19
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

I glanced over everything this morning and noticed my IAC motor is pulling air from the atmosphere. Guess I'll need to fix that!

Last edited by TurboDenny; 05-15-2017 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: My typing sucks.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #20
MrBrown
You like popsicles?

Quote:
I glanced over everything this morning and noticed my IAC motor is pulling air from the atmosphere. Guess I'll need to fix that!
Glad you figured it out. Let's see some burnouts!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #21
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown View Post
Glad you figured it out. Let's see some burnouts!
It still runs iffy. Needs some miles. Driveshaft vibration is horrid, and the center support bushing is all over the place on clutch engagement. Need to Fab up a solid carrier bearing mount.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #22
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

I managed to grab some pics with a potato. I'll get my real camera out this weekend hopefully. I think I managed to get all of the bugs worked out so far. Car just needs to be driven now.

Engine bay needs a lot of attention, but I'll wait for winter to straighten things up.

Next step is getting the wheels refinished and working out the suspension.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #23
slow240
Home Schooled

Love what you've done here, I got tired of the "slammed stance" on my 242, so I feel you there

What happened to the kaplhenke suspension?
'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, stock, awesome.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #24
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Very cool. She's coming along nicely.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #25
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
Very cool. She's coming along nicely.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
What happened to the kaplhenke suspension?
Was sold to another member on TB. I'll be going a different route this time around, with Kaplhenke goods of course.

Actually got out and drove the car today. After blowing intercooler boots off a couple times it finally sealed up and made boost. Unfortunately once the turbo spools it starts to run pig rich, going below 10:1AFR and fouls out. Thinking it's a boost leak.