• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 1990 740 Dies then immediately restarts

gti2120

I have a 1990 740 wagon 2.3 SOHC Turbo. 234K Bosch Ignition

The car randomly stalls after it warms up for about 5 minutes. After the stall the car starts right back up and runs until the next stall. It happens while driving and while parked and idling . It seems to increase in frequency as it gets warmer. It can happen while driving in town or driving at 60 MPH . The car is throwing no codes.

I have spent a lot of time on various threads and forums, it seems that this is a fairly common issue but none of the fixes I have read about have fixed it.

So far I have changed :

-Fuel pump relay
-Both fuel pumps
-Fuel Filter

I swapped the Radio suppression/Fuel injector relay with the cooling fan relay, no change

The car was last tuned up in October ( plugs, wires , d-cap etc..)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Check your ground straps on the back of the head, and check the harness for your radio suppression relay, I've been chasing similar issues in my 91. My ground straps were shot, and the harness for the rsr was falling apart so it was making a connection just enough to make me think it was safe to drive again.

Common point of failure is the crank sensor.

And the relay for the injectors.

And the powerstage.

Diag is needed. Don't just throw parts at it. Give me the money for beer instead!

Woot Woot!!!

Glad you got it, and thanks for the report back.

How did you determine it was the powerstage? Educated guess?

Back