• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

G80 rear differential - 1041 marking

Vol242vo

Keep it clean...
What models and years did they come on? I?m looking to swap the entire carrier assembly into my existing rear axle...

Research has shown ?92-96 960s and 940s N/A and Turbo models?

Is this accurate? Any other options for this swap?

What models and years did they come on? I?m looking to swap the entire carrier assembly into my existing rear axle...

Research has shown ?92-96 960s and 940s N/A and Turbo models?

Is this accurate? Any other options for this swap?

Not quite accurate. US market 7/9 Turbo models are equipped with the G-80 from 1991-95. 960s are equipped with G-80s from 1992-1996. US market NA 940s are equipped with G80s from 1993-1995. I have seen several NA 940s that had the G80 earlier than 1993, however, that is because it was ordered as an option. This applies to cars that were destined for the US market when built. European market cars did not get the G80 as standard equipment according to both Volvo and many of our European board members.

Not quite accurate. US market 7/9 Turbo models are equipped with the G-80 from 1991-95. 960s are equipped with G-80s from 1992-1996. US market NA 940s are equipped with G80s from 1993-1995. I have seen several NA 940s that had the G80 earlier than 1993, however, that is because it was ordered as an option. This applies to cars that were destined for the US market when built. European market cars did not get the G80 as standard equipment according to both Volvo and many of our European board members.

This is exactly what I?m was looking for, thank you.

The white tag is located on the drivers side back of the rear axle housing. Lots of times it's covered in goop and you gotta scrape the goop to read the tag. IF it has 1041 on it has the g80. IF it has 1041K on it, 960's, it is even a better stronger g80..

I've never seen a 940 that didn't have a 1041.

If someone bought a 7-9 in Sweden under the Tourist/Diplomat program the car is not usually built to the same specs as the US models. I had a 1994 940 Turbo sedan in the 850 purple color. It had the Tourist?Diplomat decal on the rear window. Steel wheels with 850 hubcaps on it, no sunroof. Cloth interior. No power seat. It didn't even have a power antenna switch. I never checked it for a G80. It was a plain Jane.

And if your gonna do it get a 4:10 gear set out of a late model NA 940!

First gear sucks with 4.10 gears. I have 3.90 in my car, and a T5 trans, First is pretty much worthless. I was thinking the other day that I should find a 3.73 rear end to slap in there and see if it is better.

Modded G80 works great in my car so far...
4A3Pz3Yl.jpg

First gear sucks with 4.10 gears. I have 3.90 in my car, and a T5 trans, First is pretty much worthless. I was thinking the other day that I should find a 3.73 rear end to slap in there and see if it is better.

4A3Pz3Yl.jpg
You can get larger diameter wheels and or tires which will effectively change your final gearing.

4A3Pz3Yl.jpg

That's because of your first gear ratio. 3.91 rear with a 2.95 first t5 box is the ticket.

Yea. A 3.35 first T5 is better matched with a 3.73 rear. The 2.95 works better with a 4.10.

3.91 can go either way, seems like taller tires would be your friend.

2.95 1st M400/M410/M40/M41/T5 w/4.10s & a 4cylinder is pretty good all around for a driver/budget somewhat quicker street car with stock diameter tires.

Volvo cars got heavier, engines produced broader torque curves at lower RPMs, & emissions laws got tighter. Garbage truck transmission ratios being implemented not long thereafter...

2.95 T5 w/ .72 OD is about the best compromise of the used OE USA market T5s ( hooped out mullet-missile GM T5s with that desirable combo in T5-WC with any viability are becoming scarcer used vs. buying all new /recombining with used & new w/later mustang V6 trans with 2.95 1st/cluster gear setup, but needing an input shaft swap/retainer and .63? 5th gear swap at minimum, basically).

Only other volvo 4 cylinder RWD app friendly ratio combo worth having ( with the 2.95 1st gear) is .80 OD/5th Cosworth for 'closest factory ratio combo.' The rest are usually anything from mild let-down to crushing disappointment in most cases, with less torque handling capability.

4.10 works well in stock(ish) 4cylinder turbo cars with an AW7x auto.

The small hole G80 1041K might in theory be stronger, but the other failure part(s) are no different & still break first/without much difference in observable failure rate/pattern in practice FWIW having freshened up/repaired 50+ of those silly things by now.
If you keep breaking them, time for something else, you're splitting hairs / it's a tarp/vicious circle at that point.

Last edited:
(2.95 1st gear) or .80 OD cosworth for 'closest factory ratio combo.'

I've got a 2.95 1st, .80 5th box with a 3.91 rear and I really couldn't love it anymore. It's a great spread for 'road race' type of driving. The fifth wouldn't be as great for guys who commute with their cars or sit on the highway for extended periods of time.

My box is a 3.35 1st, .68 5th unit, With the 3.91, and decently small tire (24" diameter) means first gear is over in a flash, and 70 MPH is right about 2800 RPM.

My thinking is to go with a 3.73 instead of the 3.91 in order to have more dig in first AND second gear, while bringing cruising RPM from 2800 to 2600 or lower. Modern traffic moves fast, especially here in CA when the middle and slow lanes rip at 65-70 mph.

Copy pasted from an old e-mail, TL;DR, HTH and all that:

T5s input shaft/5th gear swap with garden variety gear pullers/various orielly/harbor fright tools is straight forward enough & well documented with those having infinite aftermarket, internet documentation & support.

T5 turd polishing from the myraid of T5 applications can rapidly become cost-ineffective, however.

Challenging to shop / choose wisely amongst often beat up used transmissions driven in a (likely) thrashed mullet missile (Camaro/Firebird/Mustang, typically). All other known applications in the USA have ratios about as terrible as an M46/47 / are about as weak and often a lot more beat/used up with more power and/or heavier car and/or abusive/neglegent previous owner than even the OE volvo trans; cheap, but not necessarily inexpensive. Eclipsing new T5 price, good used condition WC 2.95-.72 price with (more) persistent search(ing) and/or some other stronger trans all together is easy enough while trying to improve undesirable T5s, ending with poor/costly (TB budget sliding scale) results is easy enough, however. BTDT once, but not twice, mercifully.

North America (Canada?) never received the WC 2.95-.80 Cosworth imported en masse, but the parts are available new & used nonetheless, of the inexpensive choices.

The "next closest OE ratio spread" (2.95-.72) WC T5 (USA market) was only offered in some IROC V8 Camaro/Firebird 1988-1992. Some factory production volume, but the vast majority were:

(new production stats/drivetrain offerings)
-Non-World-Class before 1988ish (very few parts compatible between NWC & WC, but NWC and WC isn't necessarily of great significance for raw torque handling/abuse tolerance capability by itself, but for any upgrades it's of significance & greatly limiting/rapidly cost-ineffective...you're pretty trapped with an inferior parts bin to recombine with if you get a 1983-1987 NWC even in 2.95-.72, but acquisition price is accordingly (usually fairly pathetically) lower (these days).
-V6/terrible ratios
-Automatic
.63 OD/5th w/V8 to meet avg. C.A.F.E fuel econ NOX regulations is standard in most, even if you're lucky enough to get the V8 2.95 1st. Good/great for fuel econ/emissions in the light-weight fairly aerodynamic Camaro application with all torque and no power at 1500RPM, but basically worthless for anything but cruising in the flat at 80-85+mph in ideal conditions in most other applications.
-Only offered in the most expensive (that avg. joe didn't/couldn't buy) &/or most customized specially ordered models / rarely sold as floor models (most of those were stripper pathetic V6 loss-leader fodder and/or loaded with an auto-box/all the toys).

(25-30+ years later...):
-Often driven hard/long since wrecked
-Very nearly every S10 V8 conversion guy and/or other Ford / Chevy guy goes to the junkyard/auction at 6am/crack of dawn all the time to pull them/ canabilize for parts or complete. Competing with those guys isn't easy as many will take/use just about anything viable/usable whether they're replacing what they broke or upgrading.
-Engine torque near/at torque rating of trans when new.

Examining production numbers, and/or drawing a matrix of just those basic new drivetrain options & calculating the baseline probability/knowing nothing else, lottery odds already aren't great. Add more factors / 25-30 years it's difficult to interpret the odds as 'improving.'

Using later (1994+ body style) V6 Mustang donors and remaking 2.95-.72 ratio spread with some/all new used parts is often effective, at this point.

With all the costs of transmission/drivetrain adaptation to the redblock 4cylinder (T5 or otherwise) (~$1k+ observed repeatedly...no doubt a heroic story is brewing / can be found with a captivating plot outline w/ analogous storyline "something something something barn find adapter plate for .02?/ stored in a hyperbaric chamber in NOS condition, suitable clutch that works perfect for all uses and/or all the (minor enough/kludgery) fab work done for free/.17?/hr"), why settle for lousy ratios/overall strength?

Band-aiding a mis-match rear axle ratio in that's special tool/labor intensive/technical if setting pinion depth (likely the average costs-conscious TBer obtains a common 3.73 rear axle complete/"known good" many times, in fairness ) with the 3.3 1st T5 seems completely backwards. :e-shrug:

1031/1041 R&P aren't likely to have any strength issues (even with slightly smaller 4.10 pinions, the axles &/or diff carrier always breaks first it seems/that isn't nearly as much of a problem piece of strength as the transmission/other differential parts. 2.95 T5 parts bin "best of OE" is less likely to break behind a 4-cylinder with 4.10 gears than weaker 3.31 T5 with 3.73s that's being crashed around/beat on with greater rev-drop between gear changes to be competitive and/or 'fun' in most "real world" conditions.

3.3 first w/.68 5th is FoMoCo frugal T5 parts bin recombining so they could (logically/understandably) meet (incoming) C.A.F.E fuel economy & NOX as well as obscure granny 1st gear steep hill (towing iirc?) laws of the day with their 302 foxbodies as a cost-effective compromise with the size of tires/car they had. Is that relevant to most of us budget hacksters 25 years later?

Stock (diameter) 205-55-16 summer tires with the 2.95-.72 spread w/4.10s is quite painless/livable (of known TB-approved inexpensive 5-speed choices.) The SOHC motor can pull it in vacuum/lean burn cruise in 5th/OD (even with a (slight/minimal) load/trailer/roof rack load/~4-6kft interstate "high plateau" elevations/ hot thin air/less-than-ideal conditions) returning acceptable economy/NVH at the speeds possible/plausible with these cars (65mph/ less many times, whatever the drivetrain.)

Rev drop from 6K shifts ~1500RPM even with mild turbo cam(s) with easily street-able clutch. Boost drop 'tolerable' (subjective) with the closing of the throttle/inevitable power-flow-interrupt compromise of a manual transmission.

~29mpg + or - 2 frequently observed at cruise in many conditions (75-85+mph, beverly hillbilly roof rack (and its probable bulky contents), very long/steep hills/6K+Ft elevation, hot days and/or all of the above, no). Noise not discernibly worse than the dated boxy car with a bunch of glass/rear eco-chamber in the wind, (often factory) misaligned body panels/dried out seals/sound deadening/interior plastic/tractor vibrating 4cylinder ever is. Failure rate of the trans was uncommon(ish) with only 2.1-2.5L 4cylinder power/3000lbs/205 summer tires on the street or some track/auto-x/towing "mixed use" without constant abuse.

Fairly effective? recombining the used Volvo parts bin to use a 4.10 1041 gear set w/ Alloy diff cover w/ OE filter & magnet (Alloy cover conducts heat away more effectively, but can/will crack instead of dent unlike stamped steel cover if fed a rock diet...
...longevity/driving predictability *may* be impacted...
Slightly modded "almost always locked" G80 (many limitations notwithstanding/not exactly "driver/performance oriented" and/or strong (less predictable than welded or clutch LSD, but doesn't eat your tires/suspension/break axles either), more traction than open, & (probably all-importantly) TB-priced) coupled with various "best of" the OE T5 bits.

FWIW:
-Closest USA-market junkyard- able ratio spread T5.72OD x 4.10=2.952
-M46/47/Cosworth T5.80OD x 3.54=2.832 (OE on 700T stick shift cars) Pretty good all around street driver compromise with 205-55-16 OE tires.
-"".80OD x 3.73 = 2.984 (OE 240T) (a little spun out, especially with OE 195-60-15 turbo size tires, but "responsive" (tolerable?) with a 7.5:1 compression B21FT that was marketed as a "driver's car" in the day (80s Turbo cars typically got horrible test drive magazine reviews in the day new and manufacturers knew it).
-"".80 OD x 3.31= 2.648 (N/A 8V 2.3L fuel econ/late emissions era USA cars)...faints in the sight of hills...terrible/requires boost (in boosted SOHC redblock apps) negating any/all performance & economy benefits at all but ideal unloaded 85-100+mph in the flat.

:twocents:

Last edited:
1041klabel.jpg

1041k1041.jpg

1041K left 1041 sheet right

1041kinside.jpg

Inside super duper 1041K

1041inside.jpg

1041 suckage, those are the axle ends your looking at...

Pics worth a couple words.

I know the K has a solid metal tube in the middle of it and less hole of nothingness in the case. Ya volvo put whimpyier rear in 960.. ha.

Yes get 1041k 3.31 ratio out of 960 wagons before 95 should have solid rear I think. Grab ring and pinion and better 1041k G80 and put in your 240... What I do is take whole rear end and just bolt that in my 740. I used to run welded rear, broke a bunch of axles. Since I put in 960 rear never broke another axle.

I'd put a ford top loader in before I'd even think about using a T5.. Until then getrag 265 and m90 suits me. T5 fits in a 240, I like High powered 740's.. I gots m47 in my 240 yo.

Last edited:
Back