home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #451
propav8r
F*ck Edgar
 
propav8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, NC
Default

Is 2019 the year of both our 240s?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbeard
My year of VW ownership has been 100% problem free, therefore all VW products are 100% problem free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin
i improved my life by just getting rid of my 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #452
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

why bother water cooling the wastegate?
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #453
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!
 
vwbusman66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kingsville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
Is 2019 the year of both our 240s?
Yours, probably.
Kyle's, doubtful.
__________________
1971 142 beater/fake racecar
1972 145 sh*t hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #454
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
Is 2019 the year of both our 240s?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
why bother water cooling the wastegate?
It's got holes for it, I have the urge to fill them

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Yours, probably.
Kyle's, doubtful.
Depends on many things, the future is cloudy
__________________
Kyle and the "Projects" -- '84 242 TI -- '66 220 S -- '89 Supra Turbo -- '84 Rabbit GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+

Last edited by stick70; 10-08-2019 at 09:42 AM..
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #455
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
It's got holes for it, I have the urge to fill them
unless you're burning up diaphragms I'd skip it, extra cost, extra plumbing, extra points of failure, little to be gained. I've worked on IMSA cars that don't cool the gate... I think on a street car it's pretty unnecessary.

hydro clutch and gearing change will pay off quite a bit.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #456
propav8r
F*ck Edgar
 
propav8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Yours, probably.
Kyle's, doubtful.
Ehhh idk. If all the stars line up over the next couple weeks, I'll probably get mine done. If they don't, the car will just sit in the basement for another 5 years.
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #457
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
unless you're burning up diaphragms I'd skip it, extra cost, extra plumbing, extra points of failure, little to be gained. I've worked on IMSA cars that don't cool the gate... I think on a street car it's pretty unnecessary.

hydro clutch and gearing change will pay off quite a bit.
Oh it's for sure unnecessary

The other things are necessities I agree. I've had multiple clutch cables in this car over the last few years and they have all been garbage. I have most of the parts already for hydraulic clutch, just never did it.

The gear set I'm stoked about to make the car more usable. I mean don't get me wrong cruising 80mph at 2500rpm is sweet and all but I can't even get it in 5th until 55
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #458
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Oh it's for sure unnecessary

The other things are necessities I agree. I've had multiple clutch cables in this car over the last few years and they have all been garbage. I have most of the parts already for hydraulic clutch, just never did it.

The gear set I'm stoked about to make the car more usable. I mean don't get me wrong cruising 80mph at 2500rpm is sweet and all but I can't even get it in 5th until 55
I think our roads are pretty similar, from what I've seen you post up. I'd be pretty stuck with the tall fifth gears, fourth gets buzzy pretty quick, ~2400rpm is a great cruising rpm but not many places I'm cruising at 80mph!

the block... I had a 250k mile stock longblock in my car before the built motor went in. All it had was the cam, everything else was just as-removed from a driven hard turbobricker car. I put a hurtin on that thing. I had all the setup around it, header, intake mani, fuel... was running the HX35 at 25psi and just hammering on the car. I'm sure the car was making 350bhp. I really expected to kill it but it came out a running motor. By the end I was blowing some smoke at 7k rpm rundowns and getting some odd detonation, but it kept taking it. So it might surprise you!
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #459
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

That's good to hear! This one had 90k when I put it in, so it "should" be fine. I'm only at 16psi on that hy35 now so I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do. With a new top end and intake it should wake up, not to mention the extra boost I want to throw at it.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #460
Quin
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Soldotna, AK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
Is 2019 the year of both our 240s?
god, i hope so.
__________________
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #461
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

I robbed parts off of it last night, does that count as work?
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #462
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

2020 is going to be the year of all 240s.
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #463
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

240s unite!
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #464
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...
 
Vol242vo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Default

I’ve always loved your 242...way back.
__________________
Derek
1980 242
Recaro LX Bs - 16" ARE 398s - 25/25 Sway Bars - Bilstein HDs - SuperPro Poly/STS Derlin Bushings - MSD - R Sport Wheel - 'Skinny' Bumpers'

-Project Thread-


Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #465
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

Thanks!
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #466
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

You guys will be happy to know that I put a new driveshaft yoke in this thing and beat it around the neighborhood last night.

Look, I even put gas in it:


Impressions: Man I really hate on this car for being slow but it ain't. It doesn't have 300 hp but slow it is not.
My god it handles good.
Stops even better.

The list I made a while back still (mostly) stands, but the car will at least move around now. My next goal is to get it together good enough to get it to SE. I'd like to at least get the head, intake, and ECU figured out before then but who knows. That would net me a little more power and it would be at it's highest potential when it meets Kenny's dyno. Maybe if I get that far I can put a sebring 5th and a truetrac in it before mountain meet in the fall. All told at that point I will really be at a happy point with the car. I think the only other thing I'd like that isn't on the list is a softer set of engine mounts and the KL racing front control arms for more caster, but those things I'd be fine doing later. Honestly with the caster/camber that I have now it'll make you reconsider your corner speeds on the street.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #467
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

You should make the trip over to the best coast for IPD or Davis. Either airline or 242 is fine.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #468
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

Id actually love to beat this thing out there, it would do really well.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #469
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!
 
vwbusman66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kingsville, MD
Default

Well I'll be damned. I spoke too soon. Both in one weekend, no less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Yours, probably.
Kyle's, doubtful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
You guys will be happy to know that I put a new driveshaft yoke in this thing and beat it around the neighborhood last night.

Look, I even put gas in it:


Impressions: Man I really hate on this car for being slow but it ain't. It doesn't have 300 hp but slow it is not.
My god it handles good.
Stops even better.

The list I made a while back still (mostly) stands, but the car will at least move around now. My next goal is to get it together good enough to get it to SE. I'd like to at least get the head, intake, and ECU figured out before then but who knows. That would net me a little more power and it would be at it's highest potential when it meets Kenny's dyno. Maybe if I get that far I can put a sebring 5th and a truetrac in it before mountain meet in the fall. All told at that point I will really be at a happy point with the car. I think the only other thing I'd like that isn't on the list is a softer set of engine mounts and the KL racing front control arms for more caster, but those things I'd be fine doing later. Honestly with the caster/camber that I have now it'll make you reconsider your corner speeds on the street.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #470
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Id actually love to beat this thing out there, it would do really well.
If you do the Davis drive I will lobby to let the spousal unit let me **** off for 4 days on my birthday weekend.

If you do IPD I'll 100% make the slog across town and throw a house party in your name
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #471
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
If you do the Davis drive I will lobby to let the spousal unit let me **** off for 4 days on my birthday weekend.

If you do IPD I'll 100% make the slog across town and throw a house party in your name
Lmao I'm down with that
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #472
Quin
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Soldotna, AK
Default

wasn't jared talking about ipd as well? guess that settles that, then.
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #473
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

If kyle goes, i might too.
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #474
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

I really would like to, I need to figure out wtf I'm even doing with my schedule first.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #475
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss
 
MikeJr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Acworth, GA 30102
Default

Ya'll talking about driving or flying to ipd?
__________________
My other projects http://www.pbase.com/mikejr
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.