Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Heh, it looks like an Ez Out now
That's what I thought it was.
vwbusman66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:30 AM   #653
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

I have a new view of this project now that I know you can just go out and buy a 'Vette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt
It's always better to get into a turbo volvo and drive.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:46 AM   #654
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I have a new view of this project now that I know you can just go out and buy a 'Vette.
Someone should report him to the IRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:51 AM   #655
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

I got $500 (shipped of course) for the car, after you fix the oil pump drive.
Lando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #656
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
I got $500 (shipped of course) for the car, after you fix the oil pump drive.
He'd probably pay you that to take it and free up the garage space for the 'Vette.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #657
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
Found the oil pump drive twisted (it's supposed to be a straight hex all the way down!) and snapped.
Are you running gear oil in there, or what? Holy cow.

Quote:
Bro does a lot more driving than I do, and has a much higher threshold for annoyance at old cars' shenanigans.
Amen to that. I know in theory it's possible to build a toy to be a reliable as a new car, but I've seldom seen it done. Every time I've tried, I get thwarted by the replacement parts industry that's made-in-China-by-the-lowest-bidder. Stuff just doesn't last the way OEM did, that's all there is to it. I've bought parts from the dealer with only slightly better results.

I've been drooling on your fab skills for months, probably should have chimed in to say so. I well recall what a stock Mustang 5.0 feels like at 3000+ lbs, can only imagine what a mostly stock 5.0 feels like when hauling 2/3 of that weight. Could a person be allowed to have that much fun?
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #658
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

The oil pump twist-n-fail is evidently not all that unusual.

Still haven't done the teardown... have been busy with typical summer stuff. But I suspect there's a wee little chunk-o-crud in there that locked the pump, and the drive is what failed first.

Thanks for the compliments on the fab techniques! Learning process for sure.

As far as DD reliable - I think this car really could get there easily enough. All the drivetrain electronics are full stock OEM Ford, so should be pretty bulletproof. It's just dealing with things like the wipers (iffy) heat (none) stereo (ditto) that make it kind of an... unusual choice for DD work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Get a life.
I built a 5.044!
kyle242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #659
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Quote:
Still haven't done the teardown...
Started today, finally... life gets in the way. Tried finagling the oil pan out with the engine bolted down, not a chance. Removed mount bolts, lifted as far as their was room, and clearly an engine-out affair.

In hindsight, would have been smrat to not weld motor mounts to crossmember *and* framerails; then could have dropped crossmember easily. Oh well.

So, up next, engine comes out. Shocked to see I could *almost* get the engine removed from the trans in-situ; however, I think it's easiest to pull the whole stupid thing out in one piece.

Next shot at working on it is Wednesday. Luckily it's only going to be 100F.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:33 PM   #660
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Pulled the engine out. Pleased that things went pretty smoothly; a good endorsement of the engineering of the pieces. Only oddball thing to remove was the driver's side header, due to interference with the brake master.

Pulled the pan.

Sure enough, there's the bottom end of the drive.

Took the oil pump apart, found a little metal disc lodged in the pump. Yoszi suggested a spacer from the OEM oil pan gasket. No idea how it got into the pump.

Deformed both pieces of the pump, so I have a replacement on order.

This one is kinda cool, because you can see how the metal stretched from the force.

Screen is intact all the way around.

Also found this metal ring in the sump, which he thought might be a piece of a lifter. Other thought might be a piece of the driveshaft retainer.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #661
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Disc - assumed to be an OEM pan gasket spacer that somehow got into an oil gallery. Calling Fox Mulder...?
Ring - gasket spacer from current rubber gasket that fell in during teardown.

New oil pump and shaft in, reassembled, reinstalled. Went really smoothly, which is both surprising given the fact that it was "engineered" by a moron (me), and unsurprising: with no front sheetmetal on the car, it's pretty easy to reach everything.

Started right up.

Now what?
Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #662
matt b
Board Member

Pic of burn out or we'll just assume it's still broken down.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:37 AM   #663
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Disc - assumed to be an OEM pan gasket spacer that somehow got into an oil gallery. Calling Fox Mulder...?
Ring - gasket spacer from current rubber gasket that fell in during teardown.
Wow. Wouldn't any foreign object have needed to get past the filter screen? Just getting into an oil gallery wouldn't be enough. Even if it dropped down backwards into the pump outlet side when powered down, once it's running the outlet pressure would send it to jam up something else instead. (You did say it happened while running, yes?) I don't see how it could jam a pump unless it entered through the suction side, but the screen looks intact. Pure voodoo. Again, wow.

Quote:
Now what?
If you're playing a game of "fix whatever might give you trouble next", take a look at the distributor… especially if it's got 30 year-old grease on the shaft. I redid one not long ago and was surprised to discover that the shaft is not splash-oiled (even though there's lots of oil nearby.) Wish I'd thought to put a torque wrench on it to get a reading of the dried grease -- to say it didn't spin freely is an understatement. If it's got a 30 yr-old Hall Effect sensor, you might want to swap that out also. A royal pain, you cannot get to it until you drive out roll pins, press off the gear, dismantle the entire thing… why Ford made it so difficult is anybody's guess... and then of course there's the challenge of finding a Made In USA part that's worth the effort.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #664
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Quote:
Now what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
If you're playing a game of "fix whatever might give you trouble next", take a look at the distributor…
...actually, I was more thinking of what to do with the car in general, once it's back in one piece. Kind of done with it, and though it's a neat piece of my life, I don't really have the space to keep it for sentimental (more like just plain "mental") reasons.

I did find that the input to the diff is hitting the floor under hard acceleration (is there any other kind). Lo and behold, the diff is angled upward pretty noticeably, a far cry from the near-level it was when I put it together. So... something's out of whack. I suspect the upper mount is deforming the floor pan, but haven't looked at it yet.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #665
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Fixed the diff issue. The upper link (see this post for visual aids) is held together with nuts on either end. The forward side nuts were finger loose!!

Took it apart, cut the inside rubber block about 1/8", moved that to the outside, shimmed the nuts for extra pressure, and tightened the hell out of it.

Whomp whomp whomp, hard launch, burnout shift into second, no contact, just a lot of laughter.

Now to fix a broken swaybar mount.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #666
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
I did find that the input to the diff is hitting the floor under hard acceleration (is there any other kind).
You break more stuff than most of us ever build in the first place. Yes, that's a compliment.

There can be other kinds of acceleration, but it's unlikely with 5.0 temptation/encouragement. Back in the day (and perhaps even now), I think the cops knew every Mustang in town. Even if the driver isn't behaving like a maniac at that moment, they assumed it was only a matter of time. I remember getting followed a lot, usually for no reason I could ascertain.

Ordinarily I'd think a Volvo ought to offer a bit more immunity from harassment... but probably not with those tires. Not to mention the need to cut engine as you coasted past them…
Old 11-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #667
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Back in one piece and the most glaring faults fixed. Want it? PM me!