home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #51
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

This thread does not disappoint. Maybe you’ve mentioned it earlier but out of curiosity what do you do for work? Is this just a hobby thing or do you work in the same industry as well?

-Project Thread-
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #52
itlksez
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
...what do you do for work? Is this just a hobby thing or do you work in the same industry as well?
Iím Mr. Mom. I homeschool my 2 kids (Idaho schools SUCK), Iím the family chef, and I run my own high-end cabinet business out of my shop when I get time. During school months, I donít really have the time to take on big jobs, so I sneak down to the shop after my wife leaves for work and before I start school, which is usually about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs a day. Never enough. This project is in its 13th year I think. Finally seeing the light at the end of the loooong tunnel has been a huge motivator.

I have a BS in art education but never used it. Since college, Iíve worked as an auto mechanic, shop welder, iron worker, cabinet maker... My wife has more success at making money than I could ever dream of, so I just work at keeping her happy, fed, her car running, and the house in decent shape; I fit my hobbies in where I can. It all works out in the end.
itlksez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #53
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlksez View Post
Iím Mr. Mom. I homeschool my 2 kids (Idaho schools SUCK), Iím the family chef, and I run my own high-end cabinet business out of my shop when I get time. During school months, I donít really have the time to take on big jobs, so I sneak down to the shop after my wife leaves for work and before I start school, which is usually about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs a day. Never enough. This project is in its 13th year I think. Finally seeing the light at the end of the loooong tunnel has been a huge motivator.

I have a BS in art education but never used it. Since college, Iíve worked as an auto mechanic, shop welder, iron worker, cabinet maker... My wife has more success at making money than I could ever dream of, so I just work at keeping her happy, fed, her car running, and the house in decent shape; I fit my hobbies in where I can. It all works out in the end.
Right on man, you certainly donít have it easy yourself, thatís a big workload. Sounds like you definitely have your priorities in good order!

Cheers!
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #54
itlksez
Board Member

Work on this has slowed a little. Our family goes all out for Halloween every year. I took a break from Halloween costumes this morning and decided it’s time to strip it down to the frame so I can box it, fill holes, finish the welding, and paint it. What I’m going to do with the front frame horns and bumper are still a big question mark, but I’ll be able to repaint them in-place easily enough.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #55
patrickstar
Board Member

Did I buy my 242 from you?? I purchased it from a stay at home dad in Post Falls...

1983 Volvo 242 - 4.8/AR5
1986 Volvo 744Tic

@beige242 on instagram
patrickstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #56
itlksez
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstar View Post
Did I buy my 242 from you?? I purchased it from a stay at home dad in Post Falls...
Hahaha
Nope, not me. If I had another 242, I doubt Iíd sell it. I had a 242GT back in college, but thought it needed too much work to keep on the road. Regrets.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #57
itlksez
Board Member

Off topic, but here’s a link to last year's costumes.
Guardians of the Galaxy

https://imgur.com/a/xscEaIg
Old 10-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #58
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Holy ****. You guys do go all out. Impressive!
Old 10-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #59
tjanson
Board Member

Thanks for the details on the adapter / torque tube. Not that I think you necessarily need it, but I wonder if this would be a good application for a guibo between the the trans and transfer case. Might increase the margin for error. The BMW e30 AWD system has a guibo between the trans and transfer case.
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #60
itlksez
Board Member

I really did give a giubo some thought. If this shows any issues, I might work towards that route. In the end, I couldn’t really see any benefit besides removing some shock loads from the drivetrain, but there isn’t any one spot in the chain that I’m worried about holding up to shock loads. If it eats bearings in the trans output or t-case input, I’ll know something is out of whack, and it’ll call for action.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by itlksez; 10-22-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #61
itlksez
Board Member

Did I mention how much I hate prep and paint?

Decisions were made on a frame color. I decided to go med/dark gray (Rustoleum Massey Ferguson implement gray with hardener) on the frame, frame brackets and steering box. Iíll go with a lighter gray for the cage.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #62
Texas240
Prius Owner

What a fun project. I just love the look of thick painted anything
Old 11-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #63
tjanson
Board Member

Looks great. I've used hardener with implement paint before, still took days to for the paint to harden up. Maybe that's just the nature of alkyd paint.
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #64
itlksez
Board Member

Yup, a day later, it’s still gummy. I have fall house projects I need to catch up on, so I’ve got time to let it sit.

I flipped it over this morning and did the other side, plus the gas tank, trans adapter and other small parts I missed.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:29 AM   #65
itlksez
Board Member

Reassembly...

Compromises...

In order to get away with ~18Ē belly clearance with only 32Ē tires and minimal lift, the t-case is tucked up much higher than stock. Iím running a double cardan joint in the rear, and will need to run a limiting strap at the differential to limit the downward travel, as not to destroy the joint. Articulation shouldnít be affected, just droop during airborne situations.

Iím using a seat belt and hardware from the Isuzu Rodeo that I sourced the axle from.

I pre- and post-heated the casting around the weld. I did, and have been running, a similar setup on my CJ3b for two decades without issue.
(Also removed the speed sensor from the housing and fabbed a cover plate.)

The mounting hardware that Isuzu used was massive, and I wanted to use basic 3/8Ē bolts. I needed to cut the shoulder and flange off of the original bolt and drill it out to 3/8Ē and use it as a shoulder washer/spacer to allow the tabs to maintain mobility when the bolts are tightened.