home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #26
TuxedoS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
It's not hard to find one (glove box), post in the wanted ads. I got an extra for a very reasonable price, I can't remember what it was so it must have been cheap haha. It probably wouldn't be hard to talk me out of the extra one I have, could use the shelf space.

I might try the same thing, stripping the dash, but I will have it recovered with something. Hard to believe that hasn't occurred to me..thanks for the idea!
Absolutely! It actually comes off real easy, especially when its old and crumbly.

I might take you up on that glove box. Fits an early dash? What were you looking to make off it? ;)
TuxedoS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #27
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I don't want to make anything off it, just get back what I paid. Gotta try to figure that out, PM me if you want it. Ya it's an early dash box.

1978 242, getting prepped for LS
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #28
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Nice Score, I will buy the "DL" badge on the trunk if it is for sale.

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #29
TuxedoS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
I don't want to make anything off it, just get back what I paid. Gotta try to figure that out, PM me if you want it. Ya it's an early dash box.
PMed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
Nice Score, I will buy the "DL" badge on the trunk if it is for sale.
PM me, all yours.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #30
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Save the b21F intake manifold and the valve cover. Those are useful
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #31
TuxedoS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Save the b21F intake manifold and the valve cover. Those are useful
Done. Thank you for the tip!!
Old 10-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #32
DrHutch
Board Member

Ever think about flocking the dash?
DrHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #33
TuxedoS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHutch View Post
Ever think about flocking the dash?
Had to look that up, but you might be on to something here! Will see if I can figure out how to make that work.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #34
TuxedoS60

So today my friend wasn't using the lift for any work - I decided to occupy it and get some more essentials done.

First had to drain engine and tranny in prep for removing them today. Oil was black, chunky, and sludge looking so that motor is already loaded into the back of a pickup and headed to scrap yard tomorrow. Saved the valve cover, and intake manifold as suggested. If I missed any more important bits or valuable bits - post fast - engine is gone tomorrow hehe.

Draining trans was iffy. The fluid was red, but the plug looked as such:

Not sure if its just because its manual and maybe someone might not have been driving it too well or if its actually going to be pretty worn. Would love to keep it around to possibly sell to someone in need but this didnt look optimistic. Your thoughts?

Then got the car in the air, did the things and got this out.

Perfect. Easy stuff done - now something I've never done before but enjoyed doing:

$105 later at the local paint store and I'm off to fix some very minor rust spots on the car. Take a look at before and after grinding the trouble spots away:

Not going to toot my own horn about fixing super crazy cancer rust like some resto hero but proud of those prep results on this easy stuff. Then painted it all in my first layer of POR15:

Note - some areas I didnt take before pics, but they werent too bad. Basically the worst was the cross member, and the pinch welds from impropper jack ups.

Next spots to fix are all on the top side, like battery tray and drivers quarter panel areas, though I'll probably grind the rust and use primer on the painted areas as I plan to order some color matched paint to spray over after a while.

Now I'm left with this! Time to degrease, clean, cut, grind and pull all the extra junk out! More updates very soon.

Last edited by TuxedoS60; 10-10-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Old 10-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #35
petiww
Board Member

I already love where this is going, especially being a brown 242. Keep up the good work!

I did the same with my left doors and front fenders, just grinding, rust converter and brown alkyton sprayed on... Still holds up nice without bubbling at heavy deep rustspots.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #36
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Looking good! Awesome job on the rust work too! Smart doing.

-Project Thread-
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #37
TuxedoS60

Couldnt help it, had some extra POR left and there are some very minor surface rust spots on the inside floor pan... so I cleaned it all and sealed it FOREVER. THERE WILL BE NO RUST

In the spirit of saving sad cars from sad deaths - I got my motor from an abandoned car that was literally using a post office box as a driver seat. This is who we are sharing the roads with...

Car was towed by the company who our shop is next to and promised me its a runner. Compression felt good when removing it, but there was no key so no chance to start it. They said if it isnt good they will pull me another one no problem so no worries there.

Slapped it on the stand, and now I have to wait...

Went on a mountain bike ride recently only to take a really big spill and end the day with a cracked rib and lots of muscle bruising in the chest. So now the project will take a slight slow down - but theres not much to work on at this point anyway.

This is the last frame of GoPro footage before I was over the handlebars.

Oh... and I decided to go AR5 just like my buddy. It honestly just seems like it would be everything I want and I like the quality of the adapter kit by FABbot sooooo I'm going AR5.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #38
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoS60 View Post
Couldnt help it, had some extra POR left and there are some very minor surface rust spots on the inside floor pan... so I cleaned it all and sealed it FOREVER. THERE WILL BE NO RUST
Ha ha, awesome! The bug has bitten you. There is no escape now.

Quote:
In the spirit of saving sad cars from sad deaths - I got my motor from an abandoned car that was [...] towed by the company who our shop is next to and promised me its a runner. Compression felt good when removing it, but there was no key so no chance to start it. They said if it isnt good they will pull me another one no problem so no worries there.
Holy carp. Not just a $200 car but also a free LS motor?? Wow. You know the right people. If this news gets out, watch for people lining up their pickup trucks ready to load up the next unwanted motor...
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #39
TuxedoS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
Holy carp. Not just a $200 car but also a free LS motor?? Wow. You know the right people. If this news gets out, watch for people lining up their pickup trucks ready to load up the next unwanted motor...
Ohhhhh no, haha. Wasnt free, but was only $500! haha
Old 10-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #40
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoS60 View Post
Ohhhhh no, haha. Wasnt free, but was only $500! haha
Even so, I think you should have been wearing a mask. That's a steal. Even in unknown condition, if they can promise you that it runs and will offer you a different one if you discover the need... Well done, indeed!
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #41
JJ Mclure

Excellent stuff! This is exactly the sort of thing I joined this forum for haha. Would love to do this to one of these but people want silly money for half decent 240s in the UK
JJ Mclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #42
TuxedoS60

Minor update on the engine situation:

Teardown roughly complete. Left oil pan on for now but everything else was pretty much removed. Decided to paint the valve covers because you pretty much have to when you remove them, its tradition.

Upon removing them I noticed a heavy color difference on the rocker arms. This normal or is one side getting hot/oil starved?

"Good" side:

"Bad?" side:

Let me know your thoughts on that, might just be worrying too much.

Heres the rest of the photos on the current state of the motor!

Old 10-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #43
77volvo245
Board Member

looks good seen way worse
Old 11-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #44
brickcupra
Board Member

Hey Newbie, How do you get to put your images in in here?
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #45
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Use Imgur or other photo sharing site that isn't Photobucket, there is a bunch of threads on this. Just don't use Photobucket, it sucks (censored) things.

You have always been allowed to post pics, they just can't be hosted unless you contribute $ to the site. Which I noticed you haven't, so photo hosting sites are the way to go.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:47 AM   #46
TuxedoS60

Removed broken exhaust studs and old spark plugs today. Spark plugs are SCARY bad. Hoping the previous owner just never changed them. Looks like they used a lot of fuel additives and never changed the plugs. Still seems like a solid motor so continuing on.

Looking for LS intake at the moment.