• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's RWD Experience, '84 242 TI

Thanks dude, oh and i need some opinions from someone who knows more about megasquirt than I do. Im looking for the easiest way to get this thing running. Can't decide on what kind of ignition to run with it, ive got a v2.2 megasquirt, and its gonna have a B230 in it. As i wrote earlier, right now the goal is just to get it running, not looking for crazy power, but a turbo will be on it, prob this 14t i have laying around. I would love to take it to carlisle. So whats the easiest/cheapest way to get this thing together reliably with megasquirt? The stock ignition circuit is missing pieces, so i would prefer not to use that, but i dont have a problem using a stock dizzy for now, but if at this point it would be easier to set up a trigger wheel etc. and go wasted spark or something then im open to that too, just not really sure which would be the easiest option to get working with a B230 and v2.2

edit: the more i read, the more im leaning towards wasted spark, seems very flexible for the future, but msns seems ok as well, ilbeit less flexible. Reading the manual, i cant figure out whether or not i can do this with ms1 or if i need to drop the coin for a ms2 daughtercard.

Last edited:
very awesome! im going to get rid of kjet too once the warmth comes this spring. i like the black decor panel idea, and black flathoods always look nicer :cool: lol

yeah the decor panel is really growing on me, i wasnt sure about it at first, but now im really liking it alot. Can't wait to get an engine in it so that i can cut the springs, proper springs are on the list, but i want it to move, and all of my money is going towards that first. I really like how the front end looks as well, i want some euro corner lenses though, one of my stockers is good but the other is pretty terrible.

Also did some digging on the penta engine that came with the car, the block appears to have a hole in it that someone jb welded and painted over, i started chiseling away at it and never hit iron...so yeah, that block isnt being used, looks like another trip to the pull a part is required

Last edited:
you didn't read far enough into the manual if you haven't figured out that you can run wasted spark with ms1 :-P

your right, i didnt read all that far :lol: more reading after my solids test tomorrow. From what i got though, get the ms extra firmware, generic wheel mode, get a trigger wheel etc. then follow the manual from there.

Going to the pull-a-part tomorrow and hope to leave with a b230 of some flavor

New and improved list of things to do on the 242:
All the brakes, ex. the master cylinder, rubber lines, 4 calipers, pads and rotors
Driveshaft bushing and torque rod bushings
2 outer tie rod ends
LF wheel bearing
Front strut mounts
heater blower motor
2 taillights and a headlight, and a turn signal lense
fix floor
B230, megasquirt, descided on msns for a while, may go with the k-jet ignition temporarily for simplicity to get it rolling, eventually going with wasted spark
clutch
needs 4 tires as well, but ive got them, just waiting to do that last
cut the springs
and ive got 1 VERY bent virgo, i have a spare, but unknown if its actually straight or not

But aside from all that everything else looks good :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Kyle, I have a line on two 240s outside of Siler City that are being parted for free I believe. One is a 79 an the other is an 80s model, the older one is a straight drive. I should be checking them out within the next few weeks. I dont know if you are interested in anything off em. Apparently they would be running with a little work but the owner, one of my coworkers fathers, wants them gone as NC is reclaiming their property in one of those deals.

Kyle, I have a line on two 240s outside of Siler City that are being parted for free I believe. One is a 79 an the other is an 80s model, the older one is a straight drive. I should be checking them out within the next few weeks. I dont know if you are interested in anything off em. Apparently they would be running with a little work but the owner, one of my coworkers fathers, wants them gone as NC is reclaiming their property in one of those deals.

sent you a pm

Found a clean B230 last month in the pull a part, 130k, no leaks. Got the B21 out yesterday and got all of the lights working outside. Mounted some free 195/60/15s I had tonight, they look alot better than the 205/65/15s that were on it. The car definately needs a windsheild, theres a new one in it, but whoever put it in glued a 84 windsheild in instead of getting new rubber for it. So it leaks. And it still has no brakes. Well, the LF caliper works...but thats it. Going to pressure wash the engine bay tomorrow and prep for the engine swap that should happen monday pending parts, clutch mainly. Pics of aformentioned shens tomorrow.

w00t! pictures!

242104.jpg

242105.jpg

old engine out
242108.jpg

242106.jpg

M46 cleaned up
242109.jpg

B230 waiting to go in
242110.jpg

242112.jpg

and its clean inside as well
242111.jpg

Hardwired the taillights, yay they work! Still need 2 new ones though
242113.jpg

A view of the disaster area that is my shop :lol:
242115.jpg

Hopefully ill have my clutch tomorrow and I can start to drop the engine in tomorrow night.

Awesome work! I like how high it sits in the front now without the engine. Are you not going to pretty the B230 up before dropping it in?

Awesome work! I like how high it sits in the front now without the engine. Are you not going to pretty the B230 up before dropping it in?
Yeah it sits so hight the struts are locked out:lol:
just clean it, nothing special

no turbo?
plan to, the engine is a n/a engine though, its whatever. When I go for power it will all be ripped apart and built anyways.

EDIT: No clutch tomorrow, ive got a whoop tee do 84 factory intercooled car, so its got the bigger clutch and flywheel. Cant get the bigger clutch from worldpac, gonna try the dealer tomorrow and see how quick I can get one.

Nothing special, but its progress. Got the rear calipers on, cleaned up the rotors, poly torque rod bushings, a new tie rod end, and new wheel bearing. Clutch is on the way along with engine and tranny mounts. Front calipers should be here tomorrow as well. Hopefully I get the right clutch:x:
Couple pics
242117.jpg

242116.jpg

Thats all for tonight, hope to have all of the brakes done tomorrow along with the beginnings of the engine swap.

Woot! Rust fixed today, no more holes in the floor! Gonna paint the floorpan black, itll have to sub as my black carpet for a while:lol:

Only suffered a few burns and only set the car on fire twice!:rofl: Note to self, undercoating is flammable.

Back