home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #176
stick70
All the gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
I want to light my goddamn hair on fire.

I am fighting a severe fuel starvation issue.

The t5 is the sht though. Very nice to get on Rt1 and sping 2800 at 70 mph. A little whiny in 1-3 but supposedly that's normal.
They aren't quiet, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets alarming. Mine doesn't really have a whine, but both of my t5s sound like gravel grinders in 5th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #177
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
They aren't quiet, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets alarming. Mine doesn't really have a whine, but both of my t5s sound like gravel grinders in 5th.
I also only have a single layer of dynamat and a poorly sealed trans tunnel. 5th is definitely a little whiny, but all the synchros are good and its quieter than a muncie m22. Its kinda cool to be able to hear the synchros doing their job as you downshift.
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #178
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Also make sure you have the correct type of gas cap? I'm not sure what a 1971 would have. My PV needed a vented cap because it had no other tank evap control/venting. It would run fine until you got onto the highway and it started really pulling gas out of the tank - it would pull a partial vacuum that would eventually overpower the mechanical pump. Then I'd spend 4 - 5 minutes trying to figure out why it died on the side of the highway, while the vacuum slowly leaked down, then it would start and run fine again... *argh* One time I just happened to pull the cap off and noticed a big WHOOSh of air going into the tank.
I'm pretty sure the 71 tank is vented via a small hose that runs off the side of the tank to an evap canister, therefore solid non-vented cap is ok I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Someone mentioned in your other thread to check the in-tank filter.
Can't recommend this enough.
If it is the in-tank filter, pull it and put in a second clear in-line filter until you can get an in-tank replacement.
Then connect a fuel pressure gauge. I forget what it calls for, but it's pretty low.
Good luck.
Would like the details on where this is located, I should check mine too

Previous:
'73 1800es - "Sunny"
'92 940T
'98 S70 T5
'99 S70 GLT
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #179
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
Would like the details on where this is located, I should check mine too
If you look under your tank, you'll see two plugs. A large round pipe plug that takes a 1/2 square, and a small ~11mm plug. The strainer is hidden behind the large round pipe plug in the forward center of the tank.

Pic dump incoming.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #180
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Took the car to a small meet-up last night. Straight water heat soaks and boils really well!

My favorite angle of the car.

At the world's best gas station.

And then, it had no power and severe fuel starvation, so AAA Premier came to the resuce.

If you check out my fuel starvation thread in Maintenance, you'll see the diagnosis and repair. The car is running miles better, so shakedowns will commence again shortly.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #181
sspony
Board Member

Keep up the good work!

65' 122s (weekend cruiser)
67' 122s (Rallyx racer)
82' 242 dl
83' 242 glt (v8 turbo swap project)
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #182
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Glad you got it rolling!
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #183
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Nice to see you might keep this one.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #184
sksmith
Board Member

Good job!!!
Put some anti-freeze in that thang!
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #185
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Good job!!!
Put some anti-freeze in that thang!
Steve
Once the mother****er stops having intermittent popping through the carb at partial throttle under load (I've eliminated all possible vaccuum leaks, need to check timing and replace cap and rotor), I will. I'll put the grille and radiator to core support sheet metal back in as well.

Joey and I just spent 2 hours cleaning and re-organizing the garage because doing what we do with one workbench and hand tools gets very messy.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #186
didenpx
Board Member

Great work and impressive how quickly you've gotten all this done! Sounds from the mechanical thread that you've got the carbs mostly sorted out...hope you get the other kink worked out quickly.

1970 1800E (Project Roedluvan:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...highlight=1970)
1977 242DL "Senf" (Summer Cruiser)
2x1973 1800 ES (Project Reanimator; disassembly and parts detailing to begin Winter 2020)
didenpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #187
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

So, spent 2 hours on the car this morning, and did the following in order:
-Pulled the cap and rotor to inspect. Cap had ZERO center contact left in it. Replaced both with Bosch.
-Adjusted valves while cold to .018".
-Started the car, still ran like dog ****. Decided to check timing and it was fine (~11deg BTDC).
-Removed/inspected points- bearing/wear block was severely worn, so I replaced with new Bosch points.
-Went to start, and wouldn't start. Re-verified points gap, went to check timing, and discovered that the timing had moved over 40 degrees advanced!
-Re-set timing, car ran miles better, still had a lean pop and somewhat unresponsive rear carb. Ran both jets all the way to max rich, and the car ran far better.
-Took the car for the first uneventful test drive, and it has 10x the power compared to before. I am going to lean it a 1/2 turn each as there is still some occasional exhaust backfiring/popping and continue to tweak/tune.

Joey and I are going to gear up and go for a ~100 mile drive to really test on it. Also, I went to the gas station and checked the tire pressures, to discover 38 PSI in the fronts and rears . Volvo calls for 27/30 front/rear and I put in 28 all around, and the car feels much more planted. I used 5th gear for the first time, and I LOVE the .80 overdrive. Still pulls well even at 60mph and keeps it quieter.

Last edited by vwbusman66; 08-13-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Old 08-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #188
sksmith
Board Member

Have you replaced the condenser?
A bad condenser can cause rough start, rich/lean conditions & misfires.
Worth a shot, if you can find one.
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #189
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

What a day.
Joey and I woke up at 5:00AM for a 6:00AM departure to Morgantown.
Pulled into the leasing office's parking lot at 12:45
One pit stop in Mount Airy to "fix" an alternator issue (1 hour), and another in Hancock to "un-fix" it. Since putting on the GM alternator, at higher RPM's (3k+), the ALT light will begin to faintly glow. I figured my reference wire wasn't seeing enough voltage drop, so I put it on the fuse box. An hour later, the car began to run like a dog turd and the tach got all wonky. I was able to make it to the NAPA in Hancock MD (right at the 68/70 interchange) and use their charging system tester and jump box (1.5 hour). I cleaned and replaced all of the junction block connections, moved the reference wire back to the battery terminal, and disconnected the electric fan. I also bought a new battery as my cheapie $50 walmart special was showing 9v with the car off. The car was charging, but the light would still faintly glow at like 3200 and above.

The car definitely doesn't like hills, especially loaded with tools, two big guys, and a bunch of clothes and stuff. We were usually using 3rd pulling ~50mph in the slow lane up the really long grades with no running starts.

Thanks to Joey for all the help, copiloting, and the awesome picture crossing back into WV.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #190
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

The important thing is that you didn't arrive on a flatbed.

Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #191
matt b
Board Member

Well done. You did it, that's more than many owners can claim.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #192
didenpx
Board Member

It's really impressive what you accomplished in such a short time! It's a really nice looking car.
didenpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #193
IansPlatinum
Board Member

I'm just glad you kept the damn thing and didn't sell & regret like the 145. Congrats.

And if you upgrade your orbital and compound game, that paint really will come back to life. And that will completely change how you and others view the car.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #194
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
I'm just glad you kept the damn thing and didn't sell & regret like the 145. Congrats.

And if you upgrade your orbital and compound game, that paint really will come back to life. And that will completely change how you and others view the car.
The only way this car is leaving is if a 68-72 145S comes up for sale, I think.

I have a Griot's random orbital, but I need to get a replacement velcro pad mount. After 20 years of service with my dad, the foam finally gave up the ghost.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #195
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Also, thanks for all the props guys. Seriously- it means a lot coming from the guys whose builds I have followed and admired for quite some time. I've been kinda inactive lately as I just moved into my apartment and still getting settled and life is winding back to college life.

I have determined that this car most certainly needs new springs and shocks as well as a rear sway bar. I could feel the car understeering/behaving poorly trying to merge onto the highway on a long, semi-banked on-ramp. Also, any weight in the trunk with a person in the back seat would make the rear tires rub going over any bump or taking a turn.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #196
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
The only way this car is leaving is if a 68-72 145S comes up for sale, I think.

I have a Griot's random orbital, but I need to get a replacement velcro pad mount. After 20 years of service with my dad, the foam finally gave up the ghost.
Haha, I feel ya. That's why I snagged my 71. Get the new griot's compound, I was blown away. Their boss pads are the beez kneez too
Old 08-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #197
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

for cutting through all that oxidation and junk a traditional rotary machine would probably be a preferable choice over a random/DA
Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #198
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
for cutting through all that oxidation and junk a traditional rotary machine would probably be a preferable choice over a random/DA
I was blown away with how quickly my random orbital did its job. Griot orbital with griot's compound. Same year, same color paint.

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #199
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Not saying they don't work, but when you really need to cut a rotary will usually do the job faster, cut deeper, and push more polish into the paint. I've certainly found it to be the case when I was doing boats for a living at least.

Either way, whatever you use it'll be good
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #200
stick70
All the gauges

Badass dude. It'll be fun having that at school. Probably.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote